downsizing to Blazer

olly hondro

mad scientist
Yes, Chilli, I traded the deuce. I had planned to lease it to a Company that needed the capability of deploying scientific instrumentation to remote locations in adverse weather , take data, then bring it all back safely. The Company did not get awarded the contract so that business model fell apart. The 12 ft van body on the deuce looks gigantic empty, but when it gets filled up with expedition stuff then it gets small real quick. Imagine a 12 ft travel trailer on a flatbed truck = a whole lotta truck w/ a tiny camper. A better choice, for me, would have been the 5-ton expansible. Gotta love that 855 CID Cummins 6 cylinder ! So I found this Blazer for sale with all the hard mechanical work done on it, that is, the suspension transplant from the M1008 5/4 ton CUCV pickup and a bunch of upgrades that take care of typical CUCV quirky behavior. The lift is done with springs, that is, there are no lift blocks or modified shackles. But the market for a truck done this way is specialized, as is the market for an M35A3. Neither one of us would be able to cash out for what we think our trucks are worth, so we worked a trade. He now has a capable hunting/ bug out rig and I have this. I will get more pix, tho it is rather plain & ordinary.

Last edited:

olly hondro

mad scientist
Looks like I'm a Chevy guy now, huh :)

With odometer correction factor I calculated 15.5 mpg when I topped off yesterday, I'm sure I will see much better mileage when I learn the optimal rpm range for this diesel and operate it there. Should be around 2250 rpm according to the technical manual. Internet rumor is that 20 mpg is attainable. It has a 27 gallon fuel tank so has at least a 400 mile range; I see no need to carry extra fuel cans. There is plenty of room to fit a larger tank in the stock location if I really need to.

Last edited:

DT75FLH

Adventurer
the 20 mpg are obtainable with the stock blazer as it had the 10 bolts, 31" tires, 3.08 gears. I think 15-17 is max with your setup. I also doubt that changing to 3.73 will net any real improvment unless your going to step down to 35" tires which you would also need new rims. I love that setup. the blazer with the cucv 1028 axles.

If your not already, I would do some research on the dieselstop, and Steelsoldiers (although with you owning a duece your probably a member LOL). they are a wealth of knowledge on the 6.2.

also, check your vibration damper very close. they are known to fail (look at rubber ring) and with as noisy as the 6.2 is you may not hear it. if it fails and you don't catch it it will snap the crank (ask me how I know ;) ) and if I owned it . I would replace it just for piece of mind then it would be good for another 100-200k miles, Mine failed at the 300k mark.

they are easy to work on though and inj, glow plugs are cheap. I just gave away a set of good heads I had from when I swapped out my motor in a burb I had. the burb had 4' lift and 35's. went from 4.10 gears to 3.73 and still only avg 17 mpg.

Looks very nice, in fact I might get back into a 1028 again.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Olly sometimes you just have to look forward and accept change. Yes you are probably hurting over the loss of the Duece but now you have a new ride. I love those old military Blazers and as you said it has the upgrades you need. Lets see some progress on this fine ride with lots of pics. Cheers, Chilli....:)

olly hondro

mad scientist
Calculated 18 mpg this fill-up, I am learning how to drive the truck more efficiently.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior