Theodolite app on sale

robgendreau

Explorer
I don't know if this app, Theodolite by Hunter Research, has ever been reviewed here. But it's on sale for half off at $4 so I thought I'd give it a shout out.

It's, well, a theodolite. It uses augmented reality quite well: you look "through" the iPhone's camera as if it were a giant viewfinder, and the app provides all kinds of heads-up info. Most importantly bearing, but also angles. Wanna see if the bump you're on is the true summit? this is the solution (remembering with no fondness the days of sighting over a water bottle...). You can snap a picture with the info imprinted on it for later reference; I use it to document the angle of photos I've taken with my real camera. It also does a more traditional flat view, useful for following a bearing. You can share info via SMS, email, etc, and it has a mode for working with teams, designed for SAR folks. This might be useful for a group navigating together, especially over open terrain, even in vehicles. For hunters it's got different reticles, and the same rangefinder type calculation. It does all the stuff most every other compass app does.

Another very cool feature is that with GaiaGPS you can open a waypoint you're looking at in a GaiaGPS map in Theodolite, then use it's augmented viewer to eyeball where that waypoint is. Much nicer than sighting over the face of the iPhone or whatever. And in Theodolite, unlike many other compass apps, you can view your positions on a map. If you do night photographer or stargazing or hunting it has the ability to use a nightvision-saving color scheme.

You might have stuff that does some of this, but I have found this app implements these tools better than most. Pretty amazing what you can get for a few bucks these days.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id339393884?mt=8

Buckstopper

Adventurer
Now that's cool! I worked as a surveyor many moons ago and lugged an instrument over hill and dale. We really could have used this. I can think of a bunch of uses for this. Thanks for pointing this out.

robgendreau

Explorer
Sure. But be aware that the compasses in Apple's mobile devices aren't exactly reliable. Good enough for nav, since you're updating frequently as you follow a route, but I wouldn't trust a single bearing for orienting the base of the pyramid you're constructing :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94