Best Tool Kit for Overlanding?

Exploring Elements

Supporting Sponsor
So I need to get a more extensive tool kit put together and am already way over budget on my build. I need solid tools that will last, and a tidy way to carry them where they won't be making a lot of noise going down the road. I'm building the EEXP, which is based on a 2001 Dodge Ram with the Cummins motor. Any and all suggestions on what tools I should carry and where I can get them for a good deal are appreciated. I have a selection of stuff now, but none of it is all that good and is a bit disorganized. Space and weight need to be kept a minimum as well. This rig is designed to drive RTW.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I highly recommend this series of articles from Jonathan Hanson:

http://www.overlandexpo.com/overland-tech-travel/2012/8/25/the-one-case-tool-kit-part-1.html
http://www.overlandexpo.com/overland-tech-travel/2013/1/20/the-one-case-tool-kit-part-2.html
http://www.overlandexpo.com/overland-tech-travel/2013/2/4/the-one-case-tool-kit-part-3.html
http://www.overlandexpo.com/overland-tech-travel/2013/3/28/the-one-case-tool-kit-part-4.html

I'm using a similar philosophy as him in my toolkit. The brand of tools is semi-important, in terms of quality and durability, but just as important is understanding your real tool needs. Too many pre-built kits are going to either include stuff you don't need or lack something you do need, so you'll probably end up "assembling" a kit.

I've got a mix of tools with a mix of quality. Better to have a cheap tool than lack the tool altogether, but I'm replacing the low-quality stuff with solid tools as I'm able to. The Facom socket set he carries are lustworthy to be sure, but my mix of Craftsman, Husky, and (shudder) Harbor Freight will have to do for now.

One area where I differ from Jonathan is in how I carry it - I don't dedicate a single case to all my tools. Instead, my stuff is divided up into rolls and zippered bags (much like his tools), but each "unit" of tools gets squirreled away into a niche in the vehicle somewhere. The more commonly used tools are a bit easier to get to, the obscure tools are buried in fender wells, etc. This approach saves me some precious space, but costs me in terms of having everything ready to use in a single box.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
For example, I didn't bring jumper cables as I had a solar panel. I was able to jump 3 other travellers in 20 minutes this way.

As someone who lives on solar power and is pretty familiar with PV panels, I'm very curious how you accomplished this? What wattage was the panel, etc.?

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
As others have said, there's no one tool kit. It depends on your vehicle and your approach to repairs.

I try to work from my on vehicle kit, and whenever I go to my big toolbox in the garage I decide whether that's something I need to add. (I had to add a very small flathead screwdriver today).

I also agree that a torque wrench is a wise investment. I like the split-beam wrenches - they hold calibration much better than the spring loaded ones.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
If you're looking for tools that are solid and affordable, you should try looking at a farm store, or specifically, Tractor Supply Co. They have their own brand called Farmhand that I like to use. They're tough and durable and not nearly as pricy as say, snap-on.

As for your needs, get tools for your basic maintenance needs, tire changes/repairs, and learn about what the common problems with your rig are and get the tools to handle those problems.

Here is a list to get your started:
Jumper cables
tire wrench
bottle jack
good set of wrenches
good 3/8" drive ratchet with shallow and deep well sockets
vice grips
pliers
work gloves
steel bailing wire (seriously, you should always have this with you.)
set of screw drivers
duck tape
electrical tape
3/8 hemp rope

And as for carrying it all, I'd highly recommend a tool bag over a box. The bags are going to be lighter and easier to carry, since most either come with a shoulder strap, or can use a shoulder strap.

WSS

Rock Stacker
A hack saw, either full size or the mini hand size and a few types of blades
Silicone/rescue tape
An electric fuel pump, universal
cordless drill and essentials, charger if you have an inverter
A small compressor is nice to have
one of these by vise-grip/irwin: http://www.irwin.com/tools/pipe-wrenches/quick-adjusting-pipe-wrench light and bite well, I-beam constructed
Zip ties!!!! many sizes
Polyurethane socket holders, they fit in bags better and are not sharp cornered
15' each of 12ga and 14ga, 8' of 6 or 8ga wire and a tool to crimp/cut/strip
12v test light
24v battery welder and acc.
long jumper cables or a quick release spare batt and short cables
brake line and a flaring tool, maybe a few fittings in your vehicles size, tube cutter
An ammo can for vehicle fluids: brake fluid, diff/transfer case/trans lube, eng. oil
A SPILL KIT
3lb hammer
M-AX, hi-lift, shovel. All these can be used as tools. The hi-lift as a vise or press
gloves, safety glasses, small tarp or other item to lay on or spread out parts.
tire repair kit like the black jack or tire saver

Last edited:

Jeremy P.

Adventurer
As someone who lives on solar power and is pretty familiar with PV panels, I'm very curious how you accomplished this? What wattage was the panel, etc.?

I jump started myself using my portable 160W panel (larger than most carry) after 20 minutes. My battery was down to 9 volts to start with, and the vehicle started with no hesitation after 20 minutes. This was, of course, during the middle of the day. A jumpstart at night using the solar panel would have been slightly more difficult!

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
I jump started myself using my portable 160W panel (larger than most carry) after 20 minutes.

That sounds reasonable. I'm just wondering what kind of panel could jump-start three dead vehicles in 20 minutes.

Lucky j

Explorer
That's a nice kit, but in deed, most be heavy. But what I also do not like about plastic case like that, is the space in between the Tools that are space hungry in an Overland vehicule, even if it keep a really nice organization of the tools.:coffee:

But I do not have the solution. I.m actualy trying to shrink down my 45 lbs tool bag. (but it is fairly small in space) So I keep on reading.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
That's a nice kit, but in deed, most be heavy. But what I also do not like about plastic case like that, is the space in between the Tools that are space hungry in an Overland vehicule, even if it keep a really nice organization of the tools.:coffee:

But I do not have the solution. I.m actualy trying to shrink down my 45 lbs tool bag. (but it is fairly small in space) So I keep on reading.

I have the same problem with those cases. in addition, my experience with them is that they tend to break down quickly and stop holding tools securely after a short while.

Here's how I carry my common tools.

attachment.php

attachment.php

It has everything I need to work on my rig, short of a complete engine teardown.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Misunderstanding - 3 separate times over 9 months using a Powerfilm in full light. I had brand new Odysseys and didn't feel cables were required. For helping others, the foldable panel worked great! Multi use tools save weight. This is on an HDJ81, under GVW and heavily offroad biased.

Got it; thanks for the clarification.

SiliconTi

Stuck in the Mud
Looks like a really nice set but at 40 lbs, no wonder you're stuck in the mud. Lol

That ain't the half of it...

Actually, many of the tools are redundant and easily half the sockets can be removed to lighten the load.

Yes, the plastic case is not strong enough either. I reinforce it with a strap around it.

I've tried rolls and Pelican cases, but neither worked out as well. I may rework an old aluminum military case I have to see if it will work better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke