Matt and Todd's Excellent Adventure

mattmtbman

We left on a Tuesday, at three o’clock only two weeks after my planed departure date. The truck isn’t any where close to where I wanted it and I had just recovered it from being stolen and missing for a week but it runs great and I put on new tires so everything else is just semantics. I spent the last week or so trying to get as much done on the truck that I could and thought was necessary to the success of my planned adventure.

For those of you unaware I have been saving money and prepping my truck with some expedition goodies for a 3 month long expedition, but I wouldn’t really call my trip an expedition per se more of a super extended car camping trip but as there is no forum for that here I am.
My plan was to travel the western United States and visit as many national parks along the way as I could. I had originally planed this trip with my friend Cody but he backed out about two months before we were supposed to leave. So with not much time left I started asking everyone I knew if they would be willing to travel for 4 months. I got a lot of interest but no one had either the money or the time. I had told my neighbor Todd that if he could scrounge up enough money he could come and I would pay for the rest of it. Good news was Todd got his money so I won’t be traveling alone.

We spent most of Tuesday packing our stuff and packing the truck we have a lot of stuff so it was a little like Tetris trying to fit everything into the camper and on to the roof racks. We finally got everything all packed up and I realized I had forgotten to get the key to the bike racks from my dad who was at work. I threw one of the bikes on top of all the gear in the camper and had to drive into the heart of San Diego during the beginning of rush hour. As we had left so late I decided we should camp close to San Diego so a quick drive and a stop at a grocery store later we were in a pay campsite in the Laguna Mountains. Since it was our first day we took almost everything out of the truck and set up an awesome campsite, but boy we do have a lot of stuff.

On our second day we drove up to Julian where we picked up a couple of PCT hikers who were trying to get down Banner grade. Their names were Birdman and Nak as in Nak-ed they were older gentlemen from Tennessee who were absolutely hilarious. As we drove down the road Birdman asked in a very thick Tennessee accent, ”Is one of them there Hummers?” I casually told him it was a Toyota but I secretly was busting up laughing to myself. We dropped them off at scissors crossing in the Anza Borrego Desert. Then we were off to Joshua Tree by way of Indio and Coachella. We got to Joshua Tree at about 5:30 in the afternoon so there was no one in the kiosk to take our money so we just drove in. We drove the main road from west to east and checked all of the campgrounds and there were zero open campsites. I decided that since we were heading to Big Bear the next day we should drive west to Johnson Valley to camp there. When we got to Johnson Valley we met a gentleman by the name of Bob, he had recently retired and had decided to buy a travel trailer and live in the desert with his motorcycles. When we first met Bob he seemed like a normal enough guy, but after an hour or so we started to notice some peculiarities about him. It turned out three weeks in the desert alone was too much for Bob and he was just really excited to see other people.

The Following day we broke down our camp and left Bob in the Desert and we drove up the hill to Big Bear Lake, where my aunt and uncle live. We went to the ranger station and I bought my National Park Pass. Then when we got back to the car we were going to go on a bike ride I opened the drivers rear door of the truck and bam my MacBook slipped off the seat and smashed on the ground the screen and track pad both cracked but somehow still functional. Needless to say after that happened I was furious. I cursed and yelled for a couple of minutes then I calmed down, called the repair shop to get a quote it was more than I wanted to pay so I will just deal with it for a while. The next day was opening day of mountain biking at Snow Summit so I took all of my frustrations and tried to beat that mountain up. We rode with my two younger cousins Reed and David, I rode with Reed and Todd rode with David. It rained and hailed a little bit and it cleared out the crowds and it turned into an awesome muddy riding day.

Saturday we finally leave California we made it about 15 miles into Arizona. We camped a little North-East of Lake Havasu in the middle of the Desert again. We stayed there only one night because we were getting tired of the desert. Then we headed east again towards the mountains, we camped in the Prescott National Forrest on Dosie Pit Road, we had found a large slab of concrete that we parked the truck on and set up our whole camp on nice clean concrete. The spot was so nice we stayed there two nights. This morning a truck with a lot of NRA stickers pulled up and two older gentlemen hopped out. There names were Tony and Cousin Lee, they told us that the concrete used to be a train station and it had been there for thirty plus years.

That just about covers our first week on the road, I though posting my first post from a Starbucks in Prescott about 5 miles from the Overland Journal HQ would be a nice tribute to the curators of this awesome website. Now for the part you all really want Photos!!!

P1020221.jpg

matt and todd.jpg

P1020318.jpg

P1020366.jpg

P1020421.jpg

P1020434.jpg

P1020440.jpg

getitcody

How's the trip going so far gents? Where are you guys now? If/when you get to Utah, you may want to get in touch with some of your cousins to see if they'll invite you guys over for a meal - if they do, make sure to take a shower before showing up. Talk to you guys later - Cody, Mia and Miss Kitty's dad.

mattmtbman

Prescott and Sedona

It has been about a week since my last post and I'm sitting in a cabin in Virgin UT drinking a super low alcohol version of a Reds Apple Ale with electricity and high speed internet trying to figure out how we got here. It has been a super interesting and very eventful week full of activities and shenanigans.

To start we left the Starbucks in Prescott and drove up to the Overland Journal and Adventure Trailers shop and met Clint from AT and Scott Brady and it was amazing we got to see some of the projects that AT was working on and check out some of the vehicles that the guys at Overland Journal had. We stayed there about an hour just looking at cool trucks and soaking in the atmosphere.

P1020444.jpg

P1020446.jpg

P1020447.jpg

From there we left Prescott and headed towards Sedona on the 89A. We took the steep windy road through the mountains that led us to the small town of Jerome Az. On our way down the hill I boiled my brakes right as we pulled into the small town there with just enough stopping power to pull into the first parking spot that I found. The funny thing was not a minute before I smelt boiling brake fluid and wondered what idiot had cooked their brakes on the hill, it was me with my big truck and all of the stuff we were hauling around. It turned out all right though Jerome was a cool little historic mining town turned tourist trap and not a bad place to kill an hour and half. We got there at 5 right as everything was closing but we walked around and saw some of the cool stuff and bought a couple of cheesy souvenirs.

P1020479.jpg

P1020485.jpg

P1020486.jpg

About an hour later we made it to Sedona, it was my first time there and let me tell you it was beautiful. We stopped at some grocery store that only sold organic food and bought our dinner there and then we headed up Oak Creek to find a campground, this sounds easy but in Sedona on a weekend in spring time is rather difficult. We ended up in the fourth campground up Oak Creek about 18 miles outside of Sedona. It was dark by the time we got there but all the lights on the lights I installed on the truck helped us set up like it was day light out. Most of the pictures I took in Sedona turned out terrible because I had the camera on the wrong setting and Todd was shooting so every thing is really dark and blurry but luckily we have iPhones. We ate and awesome dinner of fire roasted chicken, grilled peppers and corn. Then we went to bed to get ready to spend time in Sedona.

P1020498.jpg

The next day we woke up and broke camp which took forever because people kept stopping and asking me about the flip pac I probably should have gotten some business cards from AT so I wouldn't have to explain what the camper is and where to get one from to every person I meet when the tent is up. But after the adventure of packing while being bombarded with questions we headed back into Sedona and did some of the touristy stuff we looked at the little shops, Todd got a flight at some little wine tasting shop, our server Ann gave him 9 pours when he only paid for 6 which was a nice surprise. Then around 3:00 we headed back to the truck to leave Sedona and head to Flagstaff. We had talked to a dude who worked in a kiosk selling adventure tours and he had told us about Schnebly Hill Road a dirt road that goes from Sedona to the 17 near Flag. We hopped on this road and saw about half a dozen "Pink Jeep Tour" jeeps and all I was thinking was man that looks so boring being stuck in the back sitting sideways while some guy rattles off facts. The road was rough and it was steep uphill with head sized rocks covering most of the surface, it was kind of slow going for us because of the bikes on the roof shaking but not too hard for a high clearance vehicle. On our way up I had stopped and talked to one of the guides who was driving a pink jeep and he had told us that the road got a lot better once we got to the top of the hill. As we were motoring along we rounded a big corner and saw the road cut going to the top of the plateau about a mile and a half away we were excited to see the end of the rough stuff and move on to smoother roads. When all of a sudden around a blind corner we see a Toyota minivan stopped in the middle of the trail with a bunch of people standing around it. It was a family from Minnesota there was Grandma, Grandpa, Daughter, Son in law and three grandkids and they seemed to be having a bad time. They flagged us down and asked us how the road was further down the trail we told them it got worse and it got everyone in their group frustrated. They had seen this road on a map and didn't know it was a rough dirt road we helped them turn around and said we would follow them back up the trail in case they got stuck and needed help. The daughter, Grandma and the kids were fed up with bouncing around and decided to walk back up the road until it smoothed out again. Near the top where Grandpa and son in law were waiting for everyone with the van for all the ladies to get back in, but before grandma got in she walked back to the truck and thanked us for helping them and not being impatient and proceeded to give us 20 dollars for helping them. Once we got to the top it was a nice graded forest service road with a 35 mph speed limit and we made it to the 17 in about 20 minutes.

P1020519.jpg

P1020524.jpg

P1020527.jpg

Last edited:

mattmtbman

Flagstaff

Once we got on Interstate 17 it was only about 25 miles to Flagstaff where a good friend of mine lives, Michael Bishop. We rolled into Flagstaff around 6:00 and tried to call Michael but he was busy and we couldn't get ahold of him. After we killed about an hour in town waiting for him to call or text back I decided that we were going to go find a campsite in the National Forest by Snow Bowl ski resort which is about 15 minutes north of Flagstaff. By the time we found a good spot it was dark and we got to use the lights again, but because of the extremely dry winter we weren't allowed to have a fire and turned in early. We woke up and broke camp the next morning and still hadn't heard from Michael and I was just going to head to the Grand Canyon. I figured he was busy with his job school finishing up and ROTC, we drove out the dirt road and turned right on the highway away from Flagstaff then not three minutes later I got a text from Michael with dinner plans. So we turned around and drove back into Flag to kill 6 hours before dinner. We killed time by going to bike shops, outdoor stores and thrift shops in case you didn't know Flagstaff is a very avid outdoor city so we had plenty of stuff to do. Well several hours later we met Michael at a brewery restaurant called the Lumberyard, we had a couple of beers and a nice dinner. After dinner we were just sitting at the table just talking when Michael asks us, "Do you guys want to go drinking tonight? Colin's Irish pub has dollar wells and beers, and you guys can stay at my house." We both immediately agreed and headed to his house to get ready. We went out that Thursday night and we went pretty hard.

P1020529.jpg

The next day we woke up a little late on Friday with a couple of headaches but we had things to do so we drug ourselves out of bed, had some strong coffee and got ready to go ride some bikes. Michael knew of a spot where we could shuttle an eight mile trail with almost no uphill, so we loaded up the trucks and headed for the hills. The ride was awesome I felt bad riding downhill passing all the riders we saw climbing earning their decent but we only had one day with Michael and we had more stuff to do that day. After riding and picking up my truck at the top of the hill we got lunch at Diablo Burger in downtown Flagstaff, which is an awesome little burger joint with fresh Arizona beef. Then we went shooting Michael brought out his Ruger 22 rifle, Glock 9mm and AR 15. It was the first time Todd had ever shot a firearm and my first time firing an AR, it was really fun. We didn't have much time to shoot because Michael had a retirement party for one of his ROTC Officers. So while Michael was at the retirement party I cleaned and tuned all the bikes including Michael's to thank him for letting us stay at his house. When Michael and his wife Kelsey got home we asked them how far away the lava tubes, they told us that was only like 25 minutes away and that we could go at night because it is a cave and we need lights anyway. So at 11pm we loaded up into the truck and drove to the trail that leads to the cave. For those of you that don't know the lava tubes are a mile long volcanic cave in the Coconino National Forest. The floor of the cave was awful to walk on in Vans but the caves themselves were awesome. We got home around 1:00 am and went to sleep after a very full day.

P1020534.jpg

toddgun.jpg

P1020555.jpg

P1020536.jpg

lavatubes.jpg

After a restful night of sleeping knowing we were heading to the Grand Canyon when we woke up we saw this. It was pretty cool except for the fact that i have left all the bikes on the back porch and they were covered in snow.

snowtruck.jpg

XPEDBC

Adventurer
*subscribed*

I love these adventures where its not a big planned show... grab your buddy, load up the rig and head out to see what adventure you can find. Keep it coming!

santafefzj80

this thread is weak sauce (just kidding). yo todd and matt when do I get to hear about all those b*tches you pulled in Moab with your FlipPac? -Nick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94