Defender 110 Beach Runner

corbinwalp

Observer
This is my point, I can't get behind a truck like that(the price). It will have the same engine/corrosion issues as any other Defender, seals will fail etc. What ECR does is rebuild the entire thing. You're not getting an old truck, you're getting a new truck with an old design.

true... but part of me wants to put it in my garage and just look at it

Blueboy

Adventurer
While yes one could say it is what we would call "garage art", Mr. Smith creates his vehicles to actually be driven and then maintained. It is the boulder in the stream on which ECR always has had in their DNA from the beginning.

Don't know how much Copley has marked up the price, yet, there is no doubt IMHO that the workmanship is without peer.

I've been very fortunate to have various Rovers built / restored / maintained by ECR. The recent example is our '94 LWB Rangie we have with us in Switzerland. It took 3 RRCs to finish it and Mr. Smith made sure it was delivered to us in perfect shape in a 20' foot container.

All I know is it one hell of a cool Rover as are all the other ones coming out of his shop.

Howski

As a closing argument, I'd like to point out that someone paid $4.3 million dollars for this photograph and you can't even drive it.
Rhein_II.jpg

Clearly I picked the wrong career field

Eniam17

Adventurer
I am the one who paid 4.3m for that piece of art a few years ago. If you think I'm dumb you should meet the guy who bought it from me for $6million.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
I think it's funny how the average Joe (meaning most of us posting here) thinks he can possibly wrap their mind around how someone who CAN spend 235K, DOES spend 235K on something like this. If you can spend it, you probably aren't worried about leaks, rattles etc. You just pay someone to fix them.

Different world having that much money. Not saying it's good or bad, just different.

Eniam17

Adventurer
^^ This is what I was getting at earlier when I said that yes, technically it's worth 235k to someone if that is what they will pay. It's not secret that many of the beach runners end up in the hamptons nantucket, etc. If you're worth 100 million bucks and have a 10 million dollar summer home, who cares about a few hundred grand for defender (or anything else for that matter). As enthusiasts, most of us look at the Copley website and think it's ridiculous but they have been selling "overpriced" rovers for years and they obviously keep selling them. They have a 12 year old P38 on there for 22 grand right now!

Bourget117

I live just a few miles from copley motor cars and I've been inside. They do have an amazing selection of vehicles that come and get sold no matter how much they cost. When I was there they had a rare old Ferrari in the $3,000,000 range. It got sold. That kinda makes $235K for a rare vintage custom Land Rover seem like a bargain. I've seen two of those Custom Beach Runner Defenders and I can tell you right from the shop in Maine they are at least $200k plus the time it takes to build one so I wouldn't say that Copley jacked up the price for the people with that kind of money to be able to buy one. I am willing to bet that both of those sold Defenders are probably going to Nantucket just in time for the summer where mostly everyone on the island drives a defender. All the other poor bums drive a wrangler. Myself included.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94