Project LXXIV - 1988 BJ74 Land Cruiser Build

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
It's not over until it's over.

IMG_2901%20%28Small%29.JPG

Knocking items off the To-Do list

While the crew was working on the front suspension and bumper, a second team was starting the assembly of the dual carrier rear bumper. Step one was to clean and wax the rear doors, particularly the areas that would be covered by the swing's door mount.

IMG_2841%20%28Small%29.JPG

Ferg goes to town polishing and waxxing the back doors.

IMG_2897%20%28Small%29.JPG

Rear bumper ready for assembly & install

I was still a little leery about future corrosion issues between the rear bumper door mounts and the doors themselves so we applied 3M trim tape between the two, keeping the contact patches to a minimum while retaining the strength needed for the door mounts.

IMG_2916%20%28Small%29.JPG

Bryce applying the trim tape to the door mounts

IMG_3106%20%28Small%29.JPG

Door mounts installed & test fitting the rear bumper

IMG_3148%20%28Small%29.JPG

Making good progress on our To-Do List!

With the front bumper and suspension complete we moved to the rear suspension. Once again we broke the lugs, supported the frame and pulled the stock components off. Toyota had to have originally assembled the rear suspension before installing the fuel tank as the rear shackles simply cannot be removed without pulling the tank... If you want to keep them in one piece that is. Seeing as we were installing a full OME setup on the rear including new anti-inversion greaseable shackles, we opted to make a few quick guts with the cut-off wheel and get back to business. When gaps were available with the suspension work, rear bumper work was underway. We had to do some test fitting both on the truck and on the workbench to verify we had the assembly figured out for the bumper, swings and linkage but it was fairly intuitive and James had give us some great pictures during the design and fab stages that we were able to use to verify the assembly.

IMG_3143%20%28Small%29.JPG

Rear suspension complete, time for tire installation at the hands of Mike & Chris

IMG_3201%20%28Small%29.JPG

Adjusting the linkage on the rear swing

The prototype rear bumper turned out really slick. Again James and his team @ ExpeditionOne pulled off a neat bumper. When they hit us up about borrowing a 70 Series for prototyping I didn't think we would be running one on this rig in fact I figured it would be 3-4 months before they had a workable product. As our planned Kaymar got hung up in shipping (we'll be using it soon enough on an Aussie Outback style build :cool:) it was quite serendipitous the Exp-One got this one done in just a few weeks. We chatted with James quite a bit during the design and build and I feel he not only was willing to take suggestions but he pretty much covered ever item we had discussed wanting out of a rear bumper for these rigs.

IMG_3239%20%28Small%29.JPG

Bumper & Swings Installed :cool:

IMG_3199%20%28Small%29.JPG

Meanwhile, some people were working harder than others :D

Next up winch, jerry can holder and license plate mount on the rear.

trump

Adventurist
Those bumpers are very nice. I hope to see them go into production since I find myself in the market for an old Land Cruiser.

60Dan

Explorer
Wow Kurt nice build!
I see now why you were asking about the pusher pump!

She really cleaned up nice - what a difference this bumper makes compared to that chrome behemoth!

What are your impressions of the 13BT?

cruiseroutfit

...What are your impressions of the 13BT?

I really like it, it's no crazy power machine but they just lump along. I've got a 13BT/auto and this one is the 13BT/H55F combo, obviously the auto sucks up a bunch of the power but with 3FE like performance but twice (or more) the fuel economy, I can live with that. Now the 5spd combo on the other hand has some pep left, even turning the 33's. Time will tell, I'm loading it up for a week in Southern Utah this coming week :D

Mako1114

Adventurer
Those Expedition One bumpers turned out very nice. Will you be installing a receiver in case you decide to ever tow a trailer?

Cheers

cruiseroutfit

Those Expedition One bumpers turned out very nice. Will you be installing a receiver in case you decide to ever tow a trailer?

Cheers

I don't have any immediate plans to add a hitch or tow but it could easily be integrated if the need came up.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Nice! I like the 13BT /H55 combo. Decent power in a 70/74 and great fuel economy. I think its about time for a couple of pics of the whole rig, not just components, no? Or are you waiting for a "unveiling"?

cruiseroutfit

Nice! I like the 13BT /H55 combo. Decent power in a 70/74 and great fuel economy. I think its about time for a couple of pics of the whole rig, not just components, no? Or are you waiting for a "unveiling"?

I'll grab some full shots this afternoon. I'm posting pics in the chronological order of the build but we are getting near the end :D

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Nice Cruiser Kurt!

Got to love a SWB with a removable hardtop. I am also keen on the color of your truck.

I had a Kaymar on my 60. I liked it but the first time I stuff the long ******** of the 60 into the ground it bent up the Kaymar into the body and gave me a slight dent where it contacted the body. IMHO, for a bumper that costs as much as a Kaymar, it is not built stout enough.

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Hey Kurt, I am curious. Does the top of the rear doors come off when the hardtop is removed or is it meant to be run with no rear doors? I have never looked closely at 70s I have been around and I can't tell from your pics.

Cheers

digitalferg

Adventurer
The models with the FRP removable tops use the same doors as the hardtop/wagon versions and are one-piece, full-height. On the FRP removable top versions, they are however removable (doors are always removable though, right.... Haha), but then the back is wide open. I guess it is meant to run with them still in place even when the top is removed if you don't want your junk rolling out the back.

There are factory soft-top versions of the 70/71 and 73/74 and those rear doors are a two-peice unit where each of the rear doors have an upper and lower section. These soft-top units are super rare in both 70/71 and 73/74.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Ferg covered that nicely :cool:

Similar to late model FJ40's, you'll have to either come up with a set of 1/2 doors or tailgate and or run a 'filler panel' for the back of the truck when operating sans top. I've not had the top off of either of my 74's, nor my FJ40 for a couple years either :rolleyes: so I haven't crossed that bridge yet personally. I think when I do, I'll source a set of 7x doors from an OE soft top or build a custom tail gate?

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I find that strange about the rear doors. I think the truck would look really odd with the top off and full rear doors. So perhaps Toyota didn't think many people would be running without a top? And maybe it was more designed for keeping the cab cool? Just seems odd to me since every other truck I am thinking of with a removable hardtop has either half rear doors, a tailgate or doors can be split.

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles