Project LXXIV - 1988 BJ74 Land Cruiser Build

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I find that strange about the rear doors. I think the truck would look really odd with the top off and full rear doors. So perhaps Toyota didn't think many people would be running without a top? And maybe it was more designed for keeping the cab cool? Just seems odd to me since every other truck I am thinking of with a removable hardtop has either half rear doors, a tailgate or doors can be split.

Cheers

Every 75-84 J40 has the same misfortune, my thinking is that Toyota likely sold half door kits or the 2 piece doors at the dealer after the fact similar to the offerings for the earlier 40 Series. Companies were making filler panels and rear tail-gate replacements as early as the late 70's for the 40's, I can only assume there were similar offerings for the 73/74's when they were in their prime. There are even OE soft-top models with the one-piece rear doors which is really odd.

P4140297.jpg

Sempertoy

Explorer
He Kurt, I always find it helpful/interesting when people post up pricing info on rigs like this. Maybe you can share what a similar vehicle would cost?

Jon

cruiseroutfit

He Kurt, I always find it helpful/interesting when people post up pricing info on rigs like this. Maybe you can share what a similar vehicle would cost?

Jon

Surely. The base rig has a approx. $16k value. Figure we have added ~$6K in parts not counting labor.

Sempertoy

Explorer
Surely. The base rig has a approx. $16k value. Figure we have added ~$6K in parts not counting labor.

solid copy. thanks for the reply! I can't wait to see it in person! If our spiral jetty trip doesn't work out, I will swing by your place just to get to see this unicorn in person.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Ya way odd Kurt. Again, just curious but there must have been some reason why Toyota did it this way. Only other soft top truck I have ever seen with full rear doors is a LG61 Patrol with a factory soft top. And the rear doors could be split. Were the late FJ40s soft tops this way too?

Cheers

cruiseroutfit

Ya way odd Kurt. Again, just curious but there must have been some reason why Toyota did it this way. Only other soft top truck I have ever seen with full rear doors is a LG61 Patrol with a factory soft top. And the rear doors could be split. Were the late FJ40s soft tops this way too?

Cheers

As far as I know, all factor soft top 40's had a drop down tailgate...

Early FJ40's with OE soft-top had a drop-down tailgate or half doors on the back, later model FJ40's had ambulance doors that split to leave the lower in place. I run across both fairly often. However removeable top 40's (late model) all had full ambulance doors. I agree, odd. Easily remedied though :D

cruiseroutfit

We had made some huge progress and knocked out the majority of the smaller items but our list wasn't finished yet and the last items were going to take a little more time.

ExpeditionOne generally uses the Rotopax style gas cans on their bumper setups, however I've got a fleet of Scepter MFC's I utilize for trips and my other carriers are setup for the Scepter can. On top of that, while the Rotopax would have been a clean install (they are a neat product) it wouldn't give me an option for the license plate mounting. I could easily make a bracket that mounts to the jerry can swing carrier or bolts to the tire but I wanted to re-use the stock "Toyota 4WD" trim and light assembly that was removed from the door. We were looking around for jerry can holders online when it dawned on me that I had a handful of the Adventure Trailer can carriers left over from a previous project. Olly pulled one down from it's dusty hiding spot on the top of the pallet racking and we started sizing it up, this was going to be slick!

IMG_8687%20%28Small%29.JPG

Rough mounting the AT can carrier

IMG_8691%20%28Small%29.JPG

Mocking up the license plate setup

Sure enough it worked out near perfectly, mounting to the ExpeditionOne carrier with 2 existing holes and by adding just 2 additional holes to the can carrier, we had a nice secure fit to the bumper. The license plate mounting was the next stage and it proved quite simple. We removed the welded studs on the factory light as they would protrude too deep and interfere with a MFC in the carrier. Instead we drilled the hole and mounted it with some low profile screws and nuts. We added a few additional holes for the license plate itself and for zip tie holes to secure the extended wiring which was plugged back into the stock harness. Very happy with the result.

IMG_8692%20%28Small%29.JPG

Wiring secured

IMG_8693%20%28Small%29.JPG

Plug harness extended and tidied up.

IMG_8694%20%28Small%29.JPG

Finished product

I've always been a 'W' guy and I'm still a big fan of their proven product line however they left me wanting in the 24V division and I had to scramble to find a solution. I attended the Easter Jeep Safari show a few weeks back and had the chance to chat with several different winch manufactures. A few had 24V options but nothing was shining as a front runner, really we just wanted a Warn M8000 in 24V but it was becoming impossible to source. Fast forward a few days and I contacted ComeUp, they had reached out to us in the past about their product offerings and they came highly recommended from a friend in the industry familiar with their product line. Not only did they have a 9k 24V non-integrated winch in stock, he could ship it that same day and we would have it in just 2 days, deal. Sure enough it arrived as planned and we spent some time inspecting it here in the shop before and during the install, I'm absolutely thrilled with the craftsmanship and material selection, finish, etc. We modified the supplied power cables slightly to allow for a particular solenoid box mounting, in the end it turned out fantastic and looks right at home in the bumper. Time will tell how it holds up under loads but I'm excited to put it through the paces in the future.

IMG_8683%20%28Small%29.JPG

Winch Time

IMG_8684%20%28Small%29.JPG

Shortened cables & mounted solenoid box

IMG_8685%20%28Small%29.JPG

Finished product, just need to run the main power cables

Next up: Tie up loose ends and head to Cruise Moab :cool:

IMG_8698%20%28Small%29.JPG

Knocking them dead :D

CreeperSleeper

Looking for bigger rocks.
Early FJ40's with OE soft-top had a drop-down tailgate or half doors on the back, later model FJ40's had ambulance doors that split to leave the lower in place. I run across both fairly often. However removeable top 40's (late model) all had full ambulance doors. I agree, odd. Easily remedied though :D

Good to know, Kurt! I haven't seen a FST 40 with ambulance doors but I don't doubt you one bit.

As for the winch, I think you will be pleased. I've spent some time with a couple of them here locally (probably the same person you were talking to) and I have been impressed. That's saying a lot from someone who lives 20 minutes away from Warn!

NM-Frontier

Explorer
That licence plate set up is trick! I love using the OEM stuff new modifications.

What all is involved in getting rid of the PTO winch? And why replace with an electric? I'm guessing line speed and fitment in the new bumper?

proven

Observer
Man reading this thread is like looking into my dream. Keep up the amazing work. Really impressed out how clean it is.

cruiseroutfit

That licence plate set up is trick! I love using the OEM stuff new modifications.

What all is involved in getting rid of the PTO winch? And why replace with an electric? I'm guessing line speed and fitment in the new bumper?

Simply unbolt & remove. The side PTO cover for the t-case is a commonly available part (we stock it along with the gasket) so it can be made to look as if it were never there with the exception of the slot in the interior carpet kit.

Why remove? Clearance. I'm a big fan of the Toyota PTO setups, they work really well and are fairly tough however on the 70 Series in particular, they require a near 18" landing pad front bumper to mount. Here is the PTO on my other 74 (affectionalty known as Righty)

IMG_3431.jpg

As you can see the PTO and associated bumper take up some real estate. Great for light duty off-road but it would have completely hindered the travel this truck has seen thusfar and will see in the future. :D

xoblaim

Observer
I saw the 74 at the Adventure Gear Expo on Saturday and it is just as awesome in person. The new bumpers look great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier