Project LXXIV - 1988 BJ74 Land Cruiser Build

I have a question about your build. I saw the 74 came with a PTO winch which was replaced with a 24v winch. Aside from the dimensions of the front bumper, is there any functional reason why you didn't keep the PTO winch? I would think that retaining a mechanical winch would be preferable for an expedition rig. Could the front bumper just be redesigned while keeping the PTO winch?

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I have a question about your build. I saw the 74 came with a PTO winch which was replaced with a 24v winch. Aside from the dimensions of the front bumper, is there any functional reason why you didn't keep the PTO winch? I would think that retaining a mechanical winch would be preferable for an expedition rig. Could the front bumper just be redesigned while keeping the PTO winch?

The PTO winches are a fantastic tool, but they don't have the rating that of a modern electric winch, they are heavy and as you've noted they stick out quite far. Without making pretty drastic changes to the setup, there isn't much room to save. Could we have modified the stock PTO system? Absolutely BUT the PTO winch setups are worth a fair amount on the used market and that complete setup is now residing on another 70 Series, every PTO setup we pull off finds a pretty immediate home.

One could make some pretty compelling arguments both ways about electric versus PTO however for the type of uses this rig was intended for and my travel style in general, the electric makes more sense. I've had to winch with a disabled vehicle (i.e. motor not running) which is not an option with the PTO.

One of our other recent 70 Series did have a redesigned front end that worked out quite nicely with the PTO

ForumRunner_20141009_211444.jpg

Other than that, not much has changed around here on the 70 Series front for me personally. I've had my 100 Series out of service for some upgrades and service and so I've been daily-driving the 1986 BJ74 affectionately known as Righty (detail thread here). Things have been busy on a personal and work front so we haven't made any decisions on our next build project just yet.

Here is Righty, all bone stock :D

IMG_7731 (Small).JPG

carbon60

Explorer
That is the bad news... the good news is that we have a few clean stockers here at the shop that could make great build platforms. Righty, Goldilocks and White Stripes.

Is there a medium wheelbase 70 with a non-removal top? Been slowly trying to decide on where my piggy bank is going to go…

Thanks.

A.

cruiseroutfit

Is there a medium wheelbase 70 with a non-removal top? Been slowly trying to decide on where my piggy bank is going to go…

Thanks.

A.

4dr offers the 77.

What is your adversion to the removable top? Security? Load capacity?

lndhark

Adventurer
Kurt, do you typically have a few 74's on hand or "in stock" at the shop? Would I be better off contacting Steve when I'm ready to start my search? You can PM me your response if you'd like to. I'm still up in the air, date-wise with our relocation back west but would like to at least start looking at a few trucks in person. We're actually in SLC more (layovers to Seattle) than in MO so I figured that we could arrange to stop in one day and have a look.

cruiseroutfit

Kurt, do you typically have a few 74's on hand or "in stock" at the shop? Would I be better off contacting Steve when I'm ready to start my search? You can PM me your response if you'd like to. I'm still up in the air, date-wise with our relocation back west but would like to at least start looking at a few trucks in person. We're actually in SLC more (layovers to Seattle) than in MO so I figured that we could arrange to stop in one day and have a look.

Steve would be the best point of contact for a fresh vehicle search. He's got tabs on all the inventory and incoming stock. We generally have 1-2 different models here in SLC. Right now I have an HJ61 and have a BJ71 en route.

cruiseroutfit

Which will be next?

Well, I figured out what to do. "Jenny" is now in my stable. I had always love the rig and how our customer theferg had set it up. We handled the original sale, helped theferg with a bunch of the parts and install and I was able to spend a bunch of time on the trail with him and the lovely rig. I knew it was a killer rig. His needs were changing (building a new 4x4 :cool:) and I was seriously missing a BJ74.

Jenny has found a home :D

IMG_1682%20%28Small%29.JPG

LXXIV (sold) on the left and Jenny on the right. More pics coming!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior