Project LXXIV - 1988 BJ74 Land Cruiser Build

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I've been running 255/85-16s on steelies on mine with the auto. Its totally fine around town and on flat highway, but as soon as I try to pull a highway hill, its pretty slow going. I already had the wheels/tires from my Tacoma so on they went when I got the BJ74. I am thinking alloy wheels would make a big difference, but I also think 4.56s would be perfect--but regearing is pretty far down on my priority list right now. I'm also not completely sold on the 255s on this rig either...id like a bit wider.

Great data point. Good news, gears are easy to to on 74's :D

Start a thread on your rig! Don't make me give it a nickname

digitalferg

Adventurer
Great data point. Good news, gears are easy to to on 74's :D

Start a thread on your rig! Don't make me give it a nickname

I'm no good at nicknames of my rigs... Big Blue Box was the last one with a name...and for some reason people kept calling it the Big Blue Vag... Haha And, well, the 74 kinda already got a nickname while at Cruise Moab... LOL

cruiseroutfit

I'm no good at nicknames of my rigs... Big Blue Box was the last one with a name...and for some reason people kept calling it the Big Blue Vag... Haha And, well, the 74 kinda already got a nickname while at Cruise Moab... LOL

Oh it did eh? Remind me what that was :D

I can't remember if I told you but I have a couple sets of the mudflaps in stock. I don't know how clean of flaps you want, I have some 85% ones on Righty that I may sway out for some brand new ones. Though XYZ would be nice with new flaps.

cruiseroutfit

Tying up loose ends:

A few have asked about the sliders as I inadvertently neglected to make mention of them. When my partner Steve (LandCruisersDirect.com) and I were discussing the build and the crunched timetable we decided our best bet would be to source some off-the-shelf sliders. Turns out the fine gents at Cruisin Offroad has pre-made ones available and Steve went ahead and ordered them before it even made it to our shop. The take-off chrome steps ended up on my super-stock BJ74 "Righty". The bolt-on sliders are nicely made and don't require any modifications to the pinch-weld or frame to be installed. There are a couple minor things I would change if I were building them in-house but all told they are a viable option for your short wheel-base 7x Series and they have worked well on LXXIV.

IMG_9237%20%28Small%29.jpg

Sliders installed on the bone stock truck.

The rear lights are still a work in progress i.e. they work but I don't know if I'm done with them and more so they likely won't be the same lights used on this bumper when it hits production. These lights are the standard 2" fleet truck & trailer variety, very inexpensive, great quality and easy to source. My debate was how to set them up color wise. The pivots of the carriers nearly fully block the amber turn signal and both corners, so an amber was mandatory. What about the second set of lights? Red for additional brake/park visibility or clear for a nice back-up light option? I'm still on the fence there and while the harness I built for the amber turn signals also included the wiring for the 2nd lights, it isn't terminated back inside the vehicle so they are non-functional for the minute. I'm waiting for the chance to get back over the the big-rig supplier to grab some clears, I want to see just how much light they will project as a back-up light before I commit. If the light they offer is dismal I'll mount a higher output LED option on one of the carriers or in the middle of the spare tire carrier.

IMG_0727%20%28Small%29.JPG

Rear bumper light configurations.

The reason this build needed to come together so quickly was for the Cruise Moab this last May, not that I had to take this vehicle but I wanted to and thus in needed to be ready by the time I left just a few days after the build. During the Cruise Moab event, I would be a trail leader for 3 days of off-road travel in the San Rafael Swell (Devil's Racetrack, Eva Connover and Black Dragon Canyon for those familiar with the area). Our group would consist of ~20 vehicles and thus communications were essential. Despite my personal preference for 2M (ham) there are still enough users out there with CB only and I would need to have options for both. CB was easy, I leaned on my old standby Cobra 75WXST. They are simple to mount, completely hidden when removed and I've had decent luck with the range and clarity on them. I mounted the control box behind the glove box and used a mag-mount antenna on the LH fender. The antenna isn't permanent but I'll need to bend and powder-coat a fender/hood lip bracket that will work... still on my to do list. For 2M I went even more basic, my hand-held with a remote mic. The range isn't insane but for trail duty it worked out just fine. I do plan to install a full mobile 2M unit and matching antenna, again waiting on the fender/hood lip bracket and some more time. :D

IMG_0733%20%28Small%29.JPG

Cobra CB with the control box mounted behind the dashboard.

IMG_8701%20%28Small%29.JPG

Mag mount antenna, while temporary it has proven a decent solution.

The last major item on my to-do list was a power port in the rear for the fridge and any other accessories. I was at a cross-roads, 12V or 24V? 12V would require the use of a simple 24V->12V converter but they are easy enough to source and install. However the main accessory I plan to use in the rear is the ARB fridge/freezer so why not get the better performance offered by the 24V. I wired it as such knowing it will be easy enough to change in the future. I used the ARB 12/24V harness kit, it includes a nice flush mount receptacle for the fridge outlet proper. Just to be on the safe side, I added a "24 Volt" label above the outlet.

IMG_0722%20%28Small%29.JPG

Fridge outlet.

Following CM the BJ74 spent some time in the shop getting some clean up and a minor repair. The last day of Cruise Moab the engine was sporadically failing to shut off with the key. The 13BT turns off with a vacuum cutoff to the intake and we quickly found it had a vacuum leak at the clutch booster (yes these have vacuum assisted clutch systems for a really easy pedal push). I tracked down a new booster assembly but decided to pull the existing one to see if I could identify the failure point. The booster has an output seal that can wear out or more likely dry up a bit from lack of use which can cause it to let vacuum leak. Sure enough a new seal did the trick and it hasn't failed to shut off since. Check that for a super easy repair and an inexpensive part cost.

IMG_9279%20%28Small%29.JPG

You can see how the ID of the old seal is substantially larger than the new seal.

IMG_9280%20%28Small%29.JPG

Shaft that the seal rides on.

Beyond that it has been getting some trail time. Most recently the Retro Ramble which is a 4x4 event for 80's era rigs. This year was the inaugural event and we had a small group of neat vintage 4x4's including my buddy's Samurai that lost a head gasket out in the Great Salt Lake Desert. We tried swapping a head gasket along the trail but it didn't take (thinking cracked block). LXXIV to the rescue, we pulled him the ~50 miles back to the highway and met a buddy from SLC with a trailer to pull him into the valley. It wasn't record pace towing but she lugged the Samurai around nicely.

IMG_9636%20%28Small%29.JPG

Retrol Ramble

I've been out of town for a few weeks and was really craving a rip around town in LXXIV (pronounced "El-Lix-Iv" around this parts), my wife must have read my mind as she arrived to pick me up at the airport in the beast. Keeper! :cool:

cruiseroutfit

CruiserFest & a new home

Much of my summer was spent traveling with the Expeditions7 team. I had a few weeks here and there to enjoy LXXIV however I was really looking forward to CruiserFest. For the past 5 years I've lead trail runs for the CruiserFest event, the last few leading a group from Moab to Tooele (CF site) via some of Utah's finest back roads. The truck performed flawlessly and we had a fantastic trip. Sadly during the voyage I got word LXXIV had sold and was headed to a new owner immediately following CruiserFest. It wasn't a complete shock, a gentleman had flown in and spent some time inspecting it while I was still traveling and it was active inventory. Still it was really a killer rig, I'll just have to find another to replace it. :D

bj74_4.JPG

Black Dragon Canyon in the SR Swell

bj74_1.JPG

Pony Express Trail

bj74_3.jpg

A chance meeting with the E7 fleet en route to CruiserFest

bj74_2.jpg

My last picture :(

The new owner is enjoying the truck thus far... "2 days behind the wheel and lovin' every minute of it". I'm sure he will enjoy it for the years to come, it is a great truck.

cruiseroutfit

Wait... You.. You sold it?

Well, factually my partner Steve @ Land Cruisers Direct sold it. It was always in his inventory, the parts and build labor on our books. We planned to use it as a show/demo vehicle until it found a new home, honestly I was shocked it found a home as suddenly as it did :(

That is the bad news... the good news is that we have a few clean stockers here at the shop that could make great build platforms. Righty, Goldilocks and White Stripes.

Here are the clean slates:

CF14_11.JPG

Righty, Goldilocks and White Stripes

Which will be next?

Willman

Kurt....Your living the dream my friend! I bet it was hard to see her go....But it looks like her girl friends are here to stay.

Keep up the great work!

cruiseroutfit

Ever plan on doing a Troopy?

We'll have to see. My LCD partners have and will be bringing in troopers and I've spent a great deal of time with them however they are somewhat limiting for routes here in the west and unless I'm building a rig to replace my 100's I don't know that I would personally consider it? Perhaps my mood will change :)

cruiseroutfit

I know you've sold LXXIV but just wanted you to know that this is all your fault.:sombrero:

IMG_6366.JPG

Right on, that is a great looking 74. Dig that color. What are your plans?

While LXXIV is gone, Righty and White Stripe are here and getting some love, Righty as a fun burn around rig (been DD'ing it the last few weeks) and White Stripe is going to be our next build.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94