Tire Size/Gearing

Drover

Adventurer
You're right, so it looks like I'll be doing transfer case gears. What ratio is best? 1.410, 1.667, 1.222 (isn't this stock?)

Honestly , if you want my opinion (not that it's worth much) ;-)
Your best way out , and to have the best driving DD/trail rig.
Re gear, pull your 3rds, send em to lucky8 or GBR and put 4.11's in.
Problem solved , and cheap

The only thing that sucks is your truck is down while you do it.

I've been known to shred my gears ;-)
So I keep a spare pair of 3rds (with stock gearing) and some 33's in the garage so I can still drive my truck while I have new gears put in.

And you can swap the 3rds yourself when you get em back , it's plug and play

corbinwalp

Observer

So I keep a spare pair of 3rds (with stock gearing) and some 33's in the garage so I can still drive my truck while I have new gears put in.

Will driving with my 4.75 and 33" be damaging to my engine? How urgently does this need to be resolved? I do not do much driving on the highway, but I'd like to go out to Big Bend this summer and thats an almost 9 hour haul

Last edited:

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I am in San Antonio right now returning from Central America, and have a set of locked stock geared diffs(Detroit/TT), and would trade. I can come by tomorrow to walk you through it, but I can pull mine when I get back(this w/e), and we can ship them. I will pay shipping for the both of us as yours are a touch more expensive, but this will help us both solve issues.

And as stated above, the 2" lift is inexpensive and perfect for the 33's, but it cost dearly to correctly go 3"+, and 35's- and as said, ask how I know :)
I want the diffs for my Defender w/ 36's to give you an idea where I am headed. Lastly, check my site for references on sold vehicles, and PM me a contact and we can coordinate.

Let me know your thoughts...

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing

It's always good to install the diffs in their correct application too :ylsmoke:

Drover

Adventurer
It's always good to install the diffs in their correct application too :ylsmoke:

Hey Zach! What do you think of the above post?! That's a good trade! Let me give you my 3rds w/stock gearing and ratcheting lockers , even for your arb selectable lockers with 4.71's , pegged from GBR. I'll pay the shipping and we'll call it square!! Sounds like a hell of a deal to me!

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Was just an offer to keep him from spending any money, but your solution is much better- oops, what solution?!... Besides, a few of us have used both for say the last 40 years, and prefer no air lines, switches, compressors, etc to potentially fail when needed- but that is another discussion for another time...

To OP, no harm or intention to take advantage intended, hence a public post in lieu of a PM which could have been construed as malice.

Drover

Adventurer
Was just an offer to keep him from spending any money, but your solution is much better- oops, what solution?!... Besides, a few of us have used both for say the last 40 years, and prefer no air lines, switches, compressors, etc to potentially fail when needed- but that is another discussion for another time...

To OP, no harm or intention to take advantage intended, hence a public post in lieu of a PM which could have been construed as malice.

To keep him from spending any money?? And yourself you might ad!! Just seems shady to offer an inferior product for a premium product.
I guess what bugs me most about this situation is you are a seasoned guy here. A business owner, and profit from members of this community.

You my friend are held at a higher standard than the rest. In the spirit of what this forum is, we are here to help the "new guys" with problems that arise. Had you made the offer with a financial compensation to make up the difference, there would have not been a comment from me. I'm just looking out for the newbs, all of us at some point were new to this.

To offer 3rds with stock gears and trutracs with a combine value somewhere around $1,200 for arbs with 4.71 and pegged for a combine value of somewhere around $4,000 , seems really swarmy.

If you have a gearing issue with your defender , I have a solution (as you so well put it!) I have some 32's on stock hurricanes I can swap for your 36's? It's real easy , I can come over and talk you through it. I'll pay the shipping on both if you like? This should solve both of our problems?

See how it looks ??!! Any seasoned guy knows your getting the short end!! But then again if you really want to do the swap , I'm game!

I believe as seasoned guys on this forum , it's our responsibility to nurture the new members and help when we can, not try and take advantage. Again, if you had offered money on top, you would have not heard a word from me, but you didn't. I will always look out for the guy who doesn't have the knowledge (we were all there at some point)

Last edited:

meatblanket

Adventurer
You're right, so it looks like I'll be doing transfer case gears. What ratio is best? 1.410, 1.667, 1.222 (isn't this stock?)

All of those are lower ratios. Go to the Ashcroft site as mentioned above, and note the option of the 1.003 ratio. That one might get the job done.

If it were me, I'd rather leave the diffs at 4.7 and re-gear the t-case. Doing that won't compromise the nice crawl ratio you currently have for offroad use.

corbinwalp

Observer
All of those are lower ratios. Go to the Ashcroft site as mentioned above, and note the option of the 1.003 ratio. That one might get the job done.

If it were me, I'd rather leave the diffs at 4.7 and re-gear the t-case. Doing that won't compromise the nice crawl ratio you currently have for offroad use.

Does this matter? "This ratio is usually only advisable for those vehicles with Portal Axles or large diesel engines."

also is swapping out the transfer case gears something I could do myself or would it be better to have a mechanic do it? And do most mechanics even do that?

corbinwalp

Observer

According to the ashcroft calculator I'd be at 2474rpm @ 70mph with 33s and the 1.003 high t-case ratio

Howski

Although I've used Detroits in the past (and will when I lock my 90) they are not in the same class as ARB's. It's a little unfair to reason paying shipping both ways is enough negate the cost difference between the two

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Last time: I made an offer to help the OP that was a no cost solution. No intention of a scam or attempt to take advantage. If it helps any, my set of lockers are also from GBR and set up by RTE, but that is not the point.

I see why other very well known suppliers in this community have gotten bitter over the years. Many years ago I visited one of the largest players in this market, and he told me how your favorite hobby will become your biggest nightmare if you take this path. He sited examples where parts came with no hardware, but he would attempt to supply it from his stash. Them customers started complaining because all the hardware was not there, or it was incorrect. He subsequently went to hauling it to the recycler and included none for anyone- all because a very few got their panties in a wad...

I am not posting again on this thread, and also have no intention of becoming so bitter. However, it certainly makes one question why he bothers to retrieve folks from places like Uwharrie on a Sunday, fix their vehicles, allow folks to come take parts for free to fix their vehicles, etc...

Drover

Adventurer
Last time: I made an offer to help the OP that was a no cost solution. No intention of a scam or attempt to take advantage. If it helps any, my set of lockers are also from GBR and set up by RTE, but that is not the point.

I see why other very well known suppliers in this community have gotten bitter over the years. Many years ago I visited one of the largest players in this market, and he told me how your favorite hobby will become your biggest nightmare if you take this path. He sited examples where parts came with no hardware, but he would attempt to supply it from his stash. Them customers started complaining because all the hardware was not there, or it was incorrect. He subsequently went to hauling it to the recycler and included none for anyone- all because a very few got their panties in a wad...

I am not posting again on this thread, and also have no intention of becoming so bitter. However, it certainly makes one question why he bothers to retrieve folks from places like Uwharrie on a Sunday, fix their vehicles, allow folks to come take parts for free to fix their vehicles, etc...

So .... I take it that you don't want to do the "no cost " tire swap? No intention of scam or to take advantage. Just trying to help

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior