Landcruiser 100 series AVS/AHC experience/opinions

Tabernash

Hi
Considering first LC purchase. One possible model is a 110,000+ mi. 2006 equipped with Adaptive Variable Suspension and Adjustable Height Control. These systems sound great in theory, but im wondering about their long term reliability, and whether or not they eventually become a liability. Anybody have long term experience with these systems?

Thanks
T

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Some fantastic thread on Ih8mud that detail the AHC systems, longevity issues and repairs. We pull a couple off per month in favor of traditional OME suspensions. It can be done super cleanly as if it were never there, no flashing lights, no rogue switches, etc. If you find the perfect truck and the AHC is the only hiccup, easy enough to fix.

mattafact

Adventurer
I bought an 06 with AHC and was pretty bummed I couldn't find one without it but after driving it for a few days I completely love it.

Sport mode is great in the twisties, comfort mode keeps it soft for the baby if we hit some washboards. After my wife's c-section the ability to lower the suspension came in handy (she's 4'11).

I found that keeping it in the normal height position is necessary in the whoop-d-doos that are omnipresent around here to prevent it from topping out but other than that it's nice to have the extra rocker clearance on the high position.

It's going on its first Baja trip next month and it will be nice to have the adjustability on the fine Mexican roads.

When it finally does break I'll be bummed but will have to manage with an OME kit from Kurt.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
As mentioned, tons of stuff on MUD. Take some of it with a grain of salt.

Is it as good as you can do for an off-pavement truck? No.

Is it pretty cool when you need a single vehicle to serve as freeway cruiser, blue highway runner, in-town daily driver AND off-pavement truck. Yeah, it is, especially since you're not putting out money to get it. If it breaks, it breaks. Until then, enjoy the "exceeds expectations" ride and handling.

I was, BTW, pretty good friends with my Lexus mechanic, to the point of believing him when he told me there have been very few problems with the systems on well-maintained trucks during their first couple hundred thousand miles. Abuse it and all bets are off, but in relatively normal use, this system seems as reliable as the rest of the extremely-reliable truck. Zero problems with either of my 470s.

TXLX

Observer
I have one with 130k miles,still rides pretty good. I use the high and low quite a bit, the low mode is pretty handy. It's a reliable system that should get plenty of miles of use so long as the fluid is changed out at the intervals. And if you can keep it away from bonehead jiffy lube techs that try to put water in the tank.

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
Like a Range Rover, rolls great on pavement, but for anything more than dirt roads the soccer-mom features gotta go. I own a '99 with OEM e-lockers for a reason.

Nikson

Explorer
Hi
Considering first LC purchase. One possible model is a 110,000+ mi. 2006 equipped with Adaptive Variable Suspension and Adjustable Height Control. These systems sound great in theory, but im wondering about their long term reliability, and whether or not they eventually become a liability. Anybody have long term experience with these systems?

Thanks
T

Havent had mine for too long, but first 1000miles of gravel backroads are fine...

2003 LX470 w/ AHC... love the comfort setting to run on the washboard.
So far no issues

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke