My Disco II Thread

corbinwalp

Observer
This thread is primarily for my reference, but I'll post new pictures or mods every now and then.

2004 Discovery II
Chawton White/Tan Interior
154,5XX miles on truck, <20,000 miles on engine rebuild

Engine
- Custom 5.0L Stroker
- Block completely disassembled & acid bathed
- offset ground crank and longer connecting rods for more displacement via stroke
- Heads decked 20 thousandths. Full port and polish
- Crower Cam

Armor
- RTE Fabrication Rear Bumper with Nerf Package
- RTE Fabrication Wide Face Front Bumper with Full Brush Bar
- RTE Fabrication Rock Sliders with Round Nerf Bars
- RTE Fabrication Gas Tank Skid Plate
- RTE Fabrication Front and Rear Differential Guards

Suspension/Steering
- RTE Fabrication 2" Lift Kit with Coil Springs
- RTE Fabrication HD steering system with adjustable panhard rod
- OME Shocks

Driveline/Diffs
- Front and Rear ARB Air Lockers
- 4.75 Great Basin Rover gears (custom pegged diffs)
-Tom Woods HD Front driveshaft
- rear driveshaft converted to u-joint

Other
- ARB Safari Snorkel
- ARB Air Compressor CKMTA12
- Mile Marker SI 12,000lb Winch
- Black Land Rover 16" Steel Rims
- Interco Traxxis 255/85/R16 Tires
- Flowmaster muffler and resonator
- Gen Right Hood Louvers
- Dual Battery Setup with Schumacher SE-1-12S-CA Charger
- Kenwood KDC-BT948HD Stereo
- Cobra 75WXST CB Radio

Wanted
- Roof Rack
- Cargo Door Ladder
- New Tires (all terrain this time)
- new transfer box ratio

Screen Shot 2014-04-22 at 9.09.00 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2014-04-22 at 8.27.49 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2014-04-23 at 9.19.25 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2014-04-23 at 9.19.43 PM.jpg

corbinwalp

Observer
Also, interesting find- I am fairly sure this is my truck, before snorkel and larger tires. It has the same bumper, winch, lights, and wheels as mine. The pic is on RTE's website and the engine rebuild was done by Larry Harrell who works or used to work at RTE. And finally when I first cleaned out the underside a whole bunch of red/orange dirt fell out. Could be a coincidence...I don't think so though
Screen Shot 2014-04-23 at 9.25.24 PM.jpg

RTE page: http://www.rte-fab.com/products?page=shop.product_details&flypage=yagendoo_VaMazing_zoom1.tpl&product_id=112&category_id=36

sedat

Adventurer
hows the power on the 5.0?

I've been contemplating using the 4.6 bottom I have and stroking it even further then adding a supercharger to the top.

More photos of the hood louvers too if you can.

The RTE bumpers are great too. Mine ate an infiniti at 45mph. didnt bend it.

jgdisco2

Adventurer
Also, interesting find- I am fairly sure this is my truck, before snorkel and larger tires. It has the same bumper, winch, lights, and wheels as mine. The pic is on RTE's website and the engine rebuild was done by Larry Harrell who works or used to work at RTE. And finally when I first cleaned out the underside a whole bunch of red/orange dirt fell out. Could be a coincidence...I don't think so though
View attachment 222793

RTE page: http://www.rte-fab.com/products?page=shop.product_details&flypage=yagendoo_VaMazing_zoom1.tpl&product_id=112&category_id=36

I was just about to ask if your truck came from NC. It's nice for sure and I saw it tackle most of Uwharrie national forest

buyrovers

Adventurer
Same truck. Engine built by Larry and suspension and such done by Jordan who used to be part owner of rovertym.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Yeah, not bashing anyone at Rte but having seen some of Jordan's work up close recently it's really in a class of its own.

corbinwalp

Observer
Today I did a plasti-dip hood blackout. Its a little rough, but overall its okay. Anyone have tips for getting smooth curves?
Screen Shot 2014-04-27 at 12.37.35 AM.jpg

Also did the fuel door just for kicks
Screen Shot 2014-04-27 at 12.37.28 AM.jpg

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Plastidip is a tricky game. Like I said in the other "cheap mod" thread... I typically end up re-doing the mod the correct way. I plasti-dipped mine twice, wasn't very happy so I went vinyl.

The trick with taping off and doing plastidip is that you have to spray it on very thick, then quickly remove the tape before it sets to avoid pealing. Use a ton of tape around the corners to create a smoother corner.

txnight

Adventurer
Today I did a plasti-dip hood blackout. Its a little rough, but overall its okay. Anyone have tips for getting smooth curves?
View attachment 223291

Also did the fuel door just for kicks
View attachment 223292

I use an exacto knife and carefully cut the plastidip to the desired shape. If you are wanting to tape something off you should get some pinstriping tape for an auto paint store. It is more flexible than masking tape and will allow you to get a nice clean edge in any shape.

Exploder
Considering you don't have roof lights a hood blackout isn't really functional anyways

On my D2, the sun always seemed to catch the hood just right and blind me on a regular basis. I did the Rustoleum Cheap *&^% hood blackout and it solved the problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94