No Thoroughfare Canyon

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
Friday & Saturday, April 18-19, 2014

Since I have a three night backpacking trip coming up at the beginning of May and I never did get out on a backpacking trip last year, I wanted to get in a quick overnight trip this month. I have also wanted to camp in the backcountry of the Colorado National Monument and hike the full length of No Thoroughfare Canyon. I decided to take care of all three of these goals with an overnight backpacking trip through No Thoroughfare Canyon with my friend Jackson. We had a hard time figuring out a good night for this trip where our schedules matched up, and in the end it worked out best for us to leave after work on Friday and get off the trail on Saturday afternoon. I headed up to the Visitor's Center on Thursday afternoon during my lunch break to get a backcountry permit for our trip. It was my first time getting one of those permits and the process was quick and easy. On Friday we watched the weather forecast all day hoping for an improvement, but it pretty much remained the same with a 50% chance of rain overnight and into Saturday morning. We decided to deal with the possibly of rain and went anyways. We left after work on Friday and parked my Jeep at the Devil's Kitchen Picnic Area. Diane was nice enough to drive us up to the upper trailhead near Glade Park to drop us off so we wouldn't have to worry about picking up a vehicle the next day.

We ended up hiking about 3 miles down the upper canyon before finding a spot to camp for the night. There were a lot of clouds this evening but there were enough openings to allow some blue sky and sunlight through on occasion. While the trail down from the rim into the canyon is maintained by the park and there is a decent primitive trail to follow most of the way, there were a few sections where it was hard to follow and we had to bushwhack through some thick vegetation.

Starting our hike from the upper trailhead along Little Park Road.

Trailhead
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Following the trail down into the upper canyon.

Entering the Canyon
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Most of the day was overcast, but we did get a little blue sky during our evening hike.

Upper No Thoroughfare Canyon
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Jackson coming down the trail.

Jackson
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

The well-constructed trail into the canyon.

Upper No Thoroughfare Trail
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Jackson hikes through the ample scrub oak in the upper section of the canyon.

Brushy Trail
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Canyon Wall
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

After the scrub oak came the thick sagebrush to meander through.

In the Sage
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

A nice view up another upper branch of No Thoroughfare Canyon.

Another Branch
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Upper Trail
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Sandstone & Clouds
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Canyon Sky
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Upper Scene
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

The Grand Mesa and Chalk Mountain come into view in the distance. We also got a glimpse of Mount Garfield a few times, too.

Down the Canyon
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

The last sunlight we would see for the rest of the trip...

Last of the Light
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Setting up camp for the night under the overcast sky.

No Thoroughfare Camp
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

After dinner and waiting for darkness to arrive we went to sleep early. I woke up around 1:00am when it started to rain, and it wouldn't stop raining until we were back at my Jeep around 11:00am. We got up after the sun had come up behind the clouds and the rain was not too heavy. We quickly ate breakfast and took down camp while trying not to get everything too wet. Then we set off to finish the rest of the hike. Since it was raining pretty good when we left camp, I put my camera in my backpack with the rain cover on, so the next two photos were taken with my phone.

Jackson hiking in the rain as we left camp.

Hiking in the Rain
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

The canyon ahead...

Leaving Camp
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
The rain eventually let up enough that I was comfortable taking my camera out again. Shortly after leaving camp the trail pretty much disappeared. I knew we had to stay high above the wash for a bit, so we spent some time finding our way across washes, through trees and around boulders.

We started the steep and loose descent into the precambrian rock just past the Second Waterfall. There was a bit of scrambling, but nothing too difficult.

Descent
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Precambrian View
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

We hiked back up the canyon a short distance to check out the Second Waterfall.

Second Waterfall
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Then we continued back down the canyon. I liked the stripes in these rocks.

Slick Rocks
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Once we reached the bottom of the Second Waterfall the trail would continue to get better all the way back to the trailhead. This is the furthest most people hike up from the bottom.

Following the trail down to the bottom of the First Waterfall.

Trail Down
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Looking down on the First Waterfall from the trail.

First Fall
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Cascade
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

The first sign we had seen since we left the upper trailhead. The trail would be easy from here!

First Sign
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

There were a lot of vibrant green leaves on the trees in this section of the canyon, which contrasts nicely with the black rock.

Spring Trees
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Green
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Wet Trail
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Low clouds hug the sandstone cliffs.

Rim Clouds
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Green Patch
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Foggy Canyon
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Following the stairs down to the bottom of the First Pool.

Stairs
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

There's a small waterfall into the pool.

First Pool Waterfall
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

First Pool
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Along the Creek
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

I've seen plenty of white Evening Primrose this year, but this was the first pink one.

White & Pink
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

In the Clouds
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Jackson checking out some birds in the distance.

Bird-Watching
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Just past Devil's Kitchen...almost back to the trailhead.

Devil's Kitchen
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

I had to make a quick stop at Lower No Thoroughfare Arch.

No Thoroughfare Arch
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

The last stretch of trail back to the parking lot.

Near the End
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Even though the weather didn't cooperate with us on this trip, we both had a great time. It's great having a place like this practically in my backyard and I know I will be returning again in the future!

>> No Thoroughfare Canyon Photo Gallery
>> The Original Trip Report on ADVENTR.CO

NMC_EXP

Explorer
Rain can take diminish the enjoyment of hiking and camping. On the positive side it washes the dust from the rocks and vegetation brightening the colors. A big plus is that it brings ephemeral streams and waterfalls to life.

I like that canyon - thanks.

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
Beautiful pictures as usual, I always enjoy your writeups! Im curious, what gear do you take with on a backpack trip like this, and how do you pack it? Im an avid photographer and just getting into backpacking this year, so im curious what you pack and how you keep it protected. I tend to overpack on trips, and that sounds like it might be a death sentence on a hiking trip lol Thanks!

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
On this trip I only took my DSLR with my 24-105mm lens attached...nothing else. I kept it simple. I usually leave my camera around my neck/shoulder the whole time...I like it quickly accessible. When it was raining too hard to keep out, I had room in my backpack for it. On some trips I will attach my tripod to the side of my backpack and keep a second lens inside as well. I try to buy the lightest/smallest backpacking gear available to make up for my heavy/bulky camera gear :)

Beautiful pictures as usual, I always enjoy your writeups! Im curious, what gear do you take with on a backpack trip like this, and how do you pack it? Im an avid photographer and just getting into backpacking this year, so im curious what you pack and how you keep it protected. I tend to overpack on trips, and that sounds like it might be a death sentence on a hiking trip lol Thanks!

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
Thanks IntrepidXJ! I figured I would have to trim down the kit. It will be hard to leave the 10-20mm but I may just pack a D7000 w/ 18-200 lens and call it a day. Keep up the good work, im in the Denver area and your reports always give me great ideas for new places I NEED to explore :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles