Optima yellow top battery in their Jeep JK?

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
That's ok, no offense taken. I was just trying to explain that the 7-pin connector already has this capability. I did have my dealer add that but it comes with the Tow Package when ordered with the Jeep.

I thought all JK tow packages had the flat four connector?

SamM

Adventurer
MOPAR sells a 7-pin wiring kit for the JK. When I ordered my hitch, I bought the 7-pin harness kit too. Had my dealer wire it up when they installed the hitch. I don't like the plug location but I will change that myself.

SamM

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
MOPAR sells a 7-pin wiring kit for the JK. When I ordered my hitch, I bought the 7-pin harness kit too. Had my dealer wire it up when they installed the hitch. I don't like the plug location but I will change that myself.

SamM

Thank you, that clarifies everything I've been reading!

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society

SamM
Yeah; you'll smash it on departures otherwise.
I used to carry two as spares on my old JK. I finally fabbed armor since I couldn't recess it in the Rugged Ridge bumper I had.

SamM

Adventurer
You're right. It's very exposed where it is located now, under my AEV rear bumper. I was fuming mad when I saw that the MOPAR tech drilled holes in my bumper to install the plug bracket. She said, "that's where the schematic shows it mounted!" Yes, they had a girl working on my new Jeep. Now, I'm not sexist or anything like that. This young lady really had no idea what she was doing though. I most generally like that! But not on my Jeep! Actually, she no longer works there. They seem to have a huge turnover.

Anyway, I will eventually move the plug to a better location.

SamM

Espo78

Adventurer
If you plan on only traveling through North America I would pick up a Sears Diehard Platinum. The main reason being that if you were to have an issue there is a Sears in most towns that could replace it for you. Sears also prorates their batteries when out of warranty, IIRC.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hi guys,

To bump an old thread - I'm getting two Optima YellowTops to have as my isolated dual setup in my 2007 JKUR.

Which YellowTop model is the right one to have dual in the 2007 JKUR?

Thanks,
-Dan

EDIT: Apologies for bumping this to the top, I found my answer.
For anyone else looking, Matt Scott used a Pair of Optima YellowTop D34 batteries, with the MORE dual battery tray.

EDIT AGAIN: And if it's not clear, I just ordered the same thing for my 2007 JKUR. I'll do a full write-up on the install.

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Good job, Grecy.
I think America Overland did the same thing on her Jeep a while back. Try to dig up her old thread and see how she's doing.

fast_suv

Adventurer
I realize this is an older thread but I wanted to toss my experience in to assist others,

So my battery died hard today which caused me to have to start looking at batteries. While researching batteries and looking for the best for my current and future needs I ran into two issues. In 2012 jeep changed to a group 91 from a 34. This limited options a bit. Finding one in stock limited me even more. I read everywhere that a Odyssey or yellow top was the way to go. I also read that yellow tops would not fit into a 2012 or later JK without getting longer battery cables or doing a dual battery setup. I finally came across a blog where a guy showed that a 34 group yellow top battery will fit. All that needs to be done is the ground wire plastic pop clip holding the wire out of the way needs to be removed as well as two pop clips holding positive of wire against the firewall need to be removed. That gives you enough extra wire to reach over to the yellow top posts. This option also will allow me to grow to a duel battery setup easily by only purchasing one more yellow top battery along with the dual battery kit.
12006176_10153682157429297_8811334300257444033_n.jpg
12002781_10153682157449297_7556730393920944307_n.jpg

Gruni14

Observer
I run yellow-tops in almost all my vehicles. Never let me down. I usually get the one with top and side terminals so I can go to a GM vehicle if need be. I used to work for Johnson Controls too (owns Optima) so got a break....

SamM

Adventurer
There is an even better upgraded battery solution for the 2012 and up JK. The Odyssey PC1220A is the same size as the OEM battery. Another good choice would be the Odyssey 34R-PC1500T-A. The PC1500 is physically smaller than the PC1220. It also features 850CCA compared to the PC1220's 680 CCA.

I run a small solar charging system on my Gobi roof rack all the time. A new battery will be a must have for my Jeep now. The 1500 seems like the best choice. I started this thread to point out that a Yellow top Optima would not just bolt in without modifications. This thread takes the long way a round but points out several solutions. I hope it has helped people out.

SamM

PC1220A
image.jpg

image.jpeg

34R-PC1500T-A
image.jpg

Last edited:

SamM

Adventurer
Recently, I had a question about the solar setup on my Jeep. A year or so ago, I purchased one of the last Goal Zero Guardian charge controllers from Amazon. Goal Zero was having a clearance sale on their Boulder 15 solar panels, so I bought two of them. One for the Jeep and one for a backup. My plan for all this was to keep my battery topped off at all times. Mostly for the addition of a winch on the Jeep.

Goal Zero doesn't make either of these products now. I would check Amazon for small panels and they also have a large selection of charge controllers. The Boulder 15 (15 Watt) panel is perfect for my use. An Odyssey PC1500 battery will be added to my system soon.

Hope this helps answer some questions.

SamM

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior