Small Camper Retractable Awning Idea

I was trying to figure out how to add a small retractable awning to my small camper and ran across some old projector screens. I looked into it and found some 7 foot by 5 to 6 foot on Craigslist selling for $25-$40. They look pretty sturdy and was wondering if anyone has tried this idea.

Cool idea! I've got an extra one - I'll check it out- would be cool to have a small awning like that over the back door of my camper.

Shoot- just pulled it out and I think it would work. I saw some cool 45 degree stanchion bases at west marine that you could fit some type of adjustable pole into- mount the 45 (or 30 degree base) onto the camper and adjust the length of the pole to for different amounts of slope to the awning/screen. I'm going to follow through with this and see how it comes out- thanks for the idea.

Chili

Explorer
That's a creative idea! The only potential issue I can see is how well the retracting / internal mechanisms would hold up to weather. I would imagine that since they are not necessarily designed to work in the elements, it may cause premature failure.

But if you can get one relatively cheap to try it out, why not?

Chili

Explorer
This may be what paddlesurf was getting at, but you are going to need vertical support poles (or angled back to the vehicle) "A", and horizontal support of some type (from the projector base to end of the screen) "B".

Attachments

• Awning.JPG
    Awning.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 394

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior