Roam About with "Big Hank"

parkkitchings

Adventurer
Oh hey.. Are you still running with the tall ramp tailgate on the trailer? Just occured to me. My uncle had a similar set up we pulled the tall ramp off to see how much it impacted his mileage. He gained 3mpg and said the trailer was more stable. He kept it off and uses a ramp that pins into the rear edge of the trailer and stows on the trailer bed. He spends lots of time up in Montana. Likes to take the Quad way out into the back country.

Yea, still running that same set up with the tall ramp. It's not a solid ramp though. Heavy mesh type that the welder who did the trailer recommended. Wind passes right through it so not sure it really causes that much drag but what do I know. I really like having it on there though as I'll stop real quick if I see a fun road to explore, drop the gate and unload. It's quick and easy. I had the trailer custom built by a guy and had him install a heavier axle and 16 inch tires. When towing I don't even realize it's back there. It's nothing fancy but it's a great utility trailer and I've used it a lot over the years.

jrfromafar

Adventurer
You know I'm not exactly sure on the mileage. I roamed around in the southwest for quite a bit and I was on the go pretty much every day either on the bike or in the truck. Between the truck trip and the bike trip north I'm sure I did well over 10,000 miles. Yea, having the bike is nice but there were times (albeit not many) that the trailer which comes with the bike was a burden. Having the trailer allows you take some extra stuff that comes in nice when you're on the road for months. I love being able to set up camp and then take off on the bike for a few hours late afternoon to explore, run back into town, etc. Would even unload the bike to explore down some remote roads looking for a nice spot to camp. Once I found something I'd go back and get the truck/camper. I pulled the trailer down some stuff I shouldn't have at times. Couple of times I had to unload the bike, unhook the trailer, get the truck turned around and then load and hook back up due to road washouts or downed trees. I do think the pros outweigh the cons overall though. Have fun on your trip. I wish I was headed back up to Alaska this coming summer. I could easily go back and do the exact same route...... it's that good.

I am DONE hauling a trailer, not mobile enough. If I brought a bike it would have to be ultra light, attached to the back - something I can putt putt down a road or trail - nothing to run in a gymkhana - just something like a Honda Ruckus. Better than a kick in the shins I suppose :)

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Same deal expanded metal grate like yours. We were shocked how much drag it was generating after trying the trailer without it. If your up for fooling some with it you might try doing a trip without the tall ramp of course having a good ramp alternative is a must but you might be surprised. We sure were.

parkkitchings

Adventurer
Same deal expanded metal grate like yours. We were shocked how much drag it was generating after trying the trailer without it. If your up for fooling some with it you might try doing a trip without the tall ramp of course having a good ramp alternative is a must but you might be surprised. We sure were.

I'll keep that in mind but god it's so easy to remove the two pins and drop the gate. I'm the type who will be driving along and see a torn up trail or dirt road, pull over, drop the gate and unload. Sure makes life easy. The trailer pulls like a dream but I'm sure the gas mileage might be better without it. Been doing some work on the trailer in preparation for my trip south in a couple of weeks. Removed all the old plywood, scraped, primed and painted the frame. Priming the plywood tomorrow and getting it all buttoned back up this weekend. About every 5 years or so I replace the plywood and give the trailer some loving. Fooled around with my GoPro and made a little time lapse of the work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeihDWzgD88

parkkitchings

Adventurer
Put in a cabinet set up and another shelf over the past week as well. Had some 1x12 laying around and wanted something custom which would allow me to open the hinged compartment on the FWC. I had some plastic drawers I'd purchased here before but had to move it every time I wanted in the compartment and when dropping the top. Thing was always falling over and was a pain moving it every time I set up and broke camp. Pretty cheap fix and not a lot of labor involved. Built this around some cloth type containers I purchased at Home Depot that slide in and out to store misc items. Didn't want anything with a cabinet door. Main reason I bought my Fleet without cabinets in order that I could customize it to my needs. Secured it with some small L brackets and installed a lip on the top shelf to keep items in place when moving. Won't have to move it when sliding the bed to full queen, opening the hinged compartment or when dropping the top. Plus it provides a nice countertop for whatever with a lip on it. Easy fix. Think it's going to work out pretty well.

P1030828-L.jpg

P1030831-L.jpg

P1030832-L.jpg

P1030829-L.jpg

parkkitchings

Adventurer
Back on the road headed south towards Baja. Going to do a little something different here for the remainder of the report. Others have done it here and my significant other has convinced me to start a Blog. Rather than having to post here as well as emails with pictures to my Mom, Uncle, Sister, Tiffany's kin, etc., etc. I'm going to simply do it all on one site, the Blog, to simplify things. A consolidation of sorts. If you want to follow along simply submit your email on the spot provided within the blog. It's my understanding that you'll receive a notification each time it is updated. I will be posting up pictures here and hope that you'll follow along on the blog as well to view additional pictures and comments. Thanks for looking.

http://nowheretobetour.blogspot.com/

Had a diversion as I'm already tired of driving. Ducked into Yosemite Valley for a couple of days but am headed south again.

Bridal%20corr%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

grogie

Like to Camp
Again, thanks for sharing your beautiful pictures and your stories from along the road. I didn't finish reading your thread last night so I was thinking about it at work today. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz