Roam About with "Big Hank"

chet6.7

Explorer
Thumbup19[1].gif

parkkitchings

Adventurer
After doing the Top of the World Highway and crossing into Alaska, I was headed towards the town of Tok and then west towards Glennallen. In between lies Wrangell-St. Elias National Park where I planned to set up camp for a while and spend a few days in one spot. After almost a month on the road I needed to hole up somewhere and simply stay put. Wrangell-St. Elias Park is our nation's largest National Park, six times the size of Yellowstone, consisting of over 13,000,000 acres............

Update to blogsite see more: www.nowheretobetour.blogspot.com[/SIZE]

DenaliHwy-1-XL.jpg

parkkitchings

Adventurer
After leaving Wrangell-St Elias I continued west skirting the Cooper River Basin towards GlenAllen. From there it was north up towards Paxson where I would get on the Denali Highway headed to the Denali National Park. My plan was to lay up for 5-7 days once in the park. Would have to pay for camping there but wouldn't be spending much on gas. Having been to Denali twice before, I was looking forward to it again as the photo opportunities are excellent.......

see more: http://nowheretobetour.blogspot.com/2015/10/denali-hwy-national-park.html

DenaliDog-2-XL.jpg

parkkitchings

Adventurer
Always outstanding!!! Great photos and story line.

Thanks for viewing!

After spending 6 nights in Denali National Park I decided it was time to move on. I had really needed to just lay up for a while and give myself a rest. I had now covered well over 5000 miles, and had been on the road for about a month and other than a couple of nights had been on the move every day......

see more: http://www.nowheretobetour.blogspot.com/

RussianRiver-2-XL.jpg

Last edited:

parkkitchings

Adventurer
Finally made it out to Homer, Alaska. It's only 200 miles from Anchorage but it's taken me a week to cover that. Trust me when I say there is a lot to see and do in that 200 miles. That, along with the fact that I've got to be the slowest traveler in the world.....

see more....... http://www.nowheretobetour.blogspot.com/

KatmaiBearNix%20%2811%20of%204%29-XL.jpg

Last edited:

Texas Aggie

Observer
Katmai sounds like a great place and the grizzly pics are terrific. FYI - the link in the latest post is broken, but the link in the previous post still works.

parkkitchings

Adventurer
Katmai sounds like a great place and the grizzly pics are terrific. FYI - the link in the latest post is broken, but the link in the previous post still works.

Thanks for the heads up on the link and the compliment on the pics. Think I've got the link working now. Sorry about that.

Tucsontom

Adventurer
DenaliParkDay1-5.jpg
Many of your Photoshop are far better than just good - some are spectacular. the long range one - black and white of the Alaskan Range as seen from the Denali Highway - is that a simple BW conversion?

That is just a great shot!

Tom

parkkitchings

Adventurer
View attachment 309150
Many of your Photoshop are far better than just good - some are spectacular. the long range one - black and white of the Alaskan Range as seen from the Denali Highway - is that a simple BW conversion?

That is just a great shot!

Tom

Tom....thanks for the complitment and yes, it is a simple black and white conversion. If I recall some adjustments were made by darkening the blacks and added some contrast on the slides along with the gradient filter adjustment. All done through Lightroom

parkkitchings

Adventurer
While in Valdez I could sense a change in the air. The nights were getting cold, the sun was disappearing much sooner in the afternoons and one could feel that winter up here was still a ways off but coming on. I was firing up the propane heater in the camper just about nightly now and dreading the slow crawl out of the warm sleeping bag each morning. Lying in the camper one night as I listened to the drumming of heavy rain outside I began to waiver on my planned route.........

see more: http://www.nowheretobetour.blogspot.com/

Valdez%20%287%20of%208%29-XL.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94