Tundra Flippac Build

casejeep

Observer
This is my brand new Flippac on my 2013 Tundra 6.5ft bed.
I will be building it up over the next year or so. I hadnt seen any other 2nd gen Tundra with the Flippac so in case you were wondering...

20140418_124651 by casejeep, on Flickr

20140418_125418 by casejeep, on Flickr

For other Flippac owners, does anyone have trouble with the side windows leaking when it rains?

Also, how did you seal the tailgate so that dust doesnt get into the back while on dirt roads?

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Yes my side windows leaked and I used 100% silicone to seal them.

I don't get a ton of dust, he only thing I did was using 2-sided tape - I taped an aluminum strip on the tailgate where the rubber gasket is. I covered the aluminum with a piece of gaffers tape and planned to Plastic Coat it, but the tape has never come off.....

Sucks to hear you have a leak on a brand new Flippac, I bought mine used...

I would try - http://www.captaintolley.com/ - before silicone. I used it on my old topper and it looks better and worked great. I just couldn't find any before a rainy trip and needed something asap

Congrats on a great looking set-up!

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Great looking rig.

I have some thoughts from when I had my Leer shell.

I could never get the side windows 100% leak free, despite lots of trying. Because of the slope of the side walls water does not drain out from the window frame, and leaks happen. I finally just bought some super absorbent towels to place under the windows.

For the rear tailgate I used something similar to this, amazon link, and I used a lot of it. In some areas I put multiple layers, and I was sure to do a very detailed job. It made the tailgate hard to shut, but that was just part of the setup. Sadly dust still got in, although not in the quantities that it did before. It was only a problem on long days with lots of fine dust, other than that it was a small amount that was easily cleaned up.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Nathanael, great catch and I forgot - I used the same tailgate sealer - here - but I forgot since I put it on teh truck on day one a whole bunch of years ago.

WASURF63

Adventurer
Sometimes just a few pictures help...

Climb inside the bed (during the daytime) with the FP top down and tailgate/hatch shut.
In the relative darkness of your enclosure all your dust/draft/moisture entry points will be revealed.:)

*2-tailgate gaskets and lots of RTV silicone used (2010 Tacoma/ATFP).

Attachments

• 2FP100_4078.JPG
    2FP100_4078.JPG
    474.8 KB · Views: 181
  • 2FP100_4073.JPG
    2FP100_4073.JPG
    349.1 KB · Views: 180
  • 2FP100_4075.JPG
    2FP100_4075.JPG
    206.6 KB · Views: 174
  • FPSL100_4316.JPG
    FPSL100_4316.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 162
  • 2FP100_4079.JPG
    2FP100_4079.JPG
    608.8 KB · Views: 161

casejeep

Observer
Thanks everyone! I will be getting on that. Im trying to figure out how i want to set up the inside.

I was thinking have a 30-50gal water tank and extra battery up front inside a bench/cabinet with a sink or some kind of pump attachment. i wanted to center the weight as much as i could. the cabinet as a set to the bed too.
I was going to run bench/cabinets down the left side for extra storage. with a boat type table in the center. the kind that had the mounting plate and the pole mounts too and the table mounts to the pole. I dont know?
Im not sure what im going to do with the right side though, im not sure if i want to go with a fridge/freezer in the future. or if i should just go with a yeti cooler. any thoughts on this?

WASURF63

Adventurer
You may want to consider how much water you will really need. 30-50 gl will add 250-400+ lbs extra weight. Factor in all the extra weight of your addl planned upgrades. Just sayin'.
Some sample/mock weight(s) in the bed will help with your final weight decisions/additions in relation to possible need for suspension upgrades. It's amazing how fast it increases with each piece of equipment plus food/supplies/etc.
Many on here will likely agree.:Wow1:

casejeep

Observer
Well it has been slow going. Money and trying to figure out how I was to set it up. Ill post some pictures of what I have so far... I should be finishing it up this winter. I got the wife hooked on adventuring with it so she is even shopping for some stuff.

Will update ASAP

Camelfilter

Explorer
Coming along nicely!

If your FP is as wide as mine is, then a folding 6ft table will fit perfectly lying flat from bed rail to bed rail. That's what the previous owners of mine did, all sorts of uses both in & out if the truck (bench, shelf, sleeping platform, table...).

I'm pretty sure that they used a Costco one, with some others not being the length advertised or some such.

...I gotta say it...that rotopack in the living space is giving me the willies...sorry!

Last edited:

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I carried a rotopax inside my jeep for 5 weeks, camping and wheeling all over the western states. From sea level to over 8000 ft, temps over 120. Never leaked a drop or smelled a whiff of gas. It's probably fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior