M416 shock absorber recommendations?

I'm looking to replace the shock absorbers for my M416 and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. I just dont know much about them. How are they catagorized? Is it by weight, gas vs air, length? Bumpy jumpy or smooth? My trailer is fairly loaded by its build alone and it will have more weight once all my gear is loaded as well. Thanks.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
A new set of the factory or OEM shocks should be fine. They were speced for HD usage and should stand up to the weight. You could go for a set of adjustable shocks or even air suspension, but it is probably overkill. I replaced my completely blown 1992 NAPA shocks (OEM on my CDN M101) with the in stock NAPA units for about $24 bucks each. My trailer with a full tank of water and all my gear (RTT and all) is probably 1300#, and it handles like a dream.

They are your basic OEM GasMatic type shocks. Take the units off your trailer now and simply measure up the extended and collapsed lengths and go to your nearest parts store. If you go the adjustable route you can try the Rancho 9000 or even the Gabriel Air Adjustable ones if you canny OBA?

Workhorse

Observer
I also went with the stock NAPA (Monroe) replacements. I believe the part number is 94038 if I recall correctly. Cost me $30/each a week ago today.

Ross-

Vince1

Adventurer
Do you have or are planning a lift or flip? Length may matter.
I've got OME coil overs on mine, and 1.5" shackle lift to accommodate 35" tires to match Jeep. Came off an old CJ and still work great.

Attachments

• shackles.JPG
    shackles.JPG
    386.3 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

VanIsle_Greg

I also went with the stock NAPA (Monroe) replacements. I believe the part number is 94038 if I recall correctly. Cost me $30/each a week ago today.

Ross-

I do believe that you are correct on the part number.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...k-NAPA-Response-Front/_/R-RR_94038_0404900647

NWMDC.jpg

Attributes: Lower Mount : Loop Type 5/8" x 1 5/16"

Shock Compressed Length : 11.25"
Shock Extended Length : 17.875"
Shock Travel Length : 6.625"
Upper Mount : Loop Type 5/8" x 1 5/16"
Shock Dust Shield : Yes
Shock Parts Pack Part # : P411

Handy numbers to have. I am almost certain that the CDN M101 and the M416 being based off of the exact same design, suspension and all should be nearly identical?

Yup, I went to NAPA today and picked up a couple of the Monroe 94038's and they were just under $60 for both. I was surprised to find the only thing holding the shocks on we're a couple of cotter pins. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Each shock came with a couple extra bushings which weren't needed ...for now. I'll find a use for them later. Always appreciate extra parts:)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    527.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

VanIsle_Greg

Yup, I went to NAPA today and picked up a couple of the Monroe 94038's and they were just under $60 for both. I was surprised to find the only thing holding the shocks on we're a couple of cotter pins. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Each shock came with a couple extra bushings which weren't needed ...for now. I'll find a use for them later. Always appreciate extra parts:)

Awesome...and that scene looks strangely familiar?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles