Want to put in a good word on Whynter fridge/freezer

JimBiram

Adventurer
Mid summer 2013 bought a Whynter 45qt fridge freezer off Craigslist from a guy wh had it for only four months. It was a great buy and worked great. However in February 2014, the 12 volt side stopped working. I contacted Whynter via email, and after diagnosing that it was the dual voltage module, they offered to exchange the fridge or ship the part. I opted for the part, and it took about 30 min. To replace. Works great now! I wanted to put in the good word because not only was I the second owner, but the fridge was just out of warranty, yet they agreed to extend it in my case. Bravo Whynter!

Every Day is a Good Day Surfing...Some are just Better Than Others

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ebg18t

Adventurer
That's good news. Does whynter share the same tech support as edge star? I recall some folks not being happy with the support on the edge star, sounds like things may have improved. :beer:

JimBiram

Adventurer
I don't know. I do know the ship to for Whynter is Santa Fe Springs in LA. I still have battery issue in the LR3 though. I suspect it's the Sears battery that just doesn't have a high enough standing voltage. I had no problems until I replaced my Interstate battery with the Diehard...very odd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

magentawave

Adventurer
Is your Whynter still working well? I'm kind of thinking of getting their dual zone fridge with freezer.

Mid summer 2013 bought a Whynter 45qt fridge freezer off Craigslist from a guy wh had it for only four months. It was a great buy and worked great. However in February 2014, the 12 volt side stopped working. I contacted Whynter via email, and after diagnosing that it was the dual voltage module, they offered to exchange the fridge or ship the part. I opted for the part, and it took about 30 min. To replace. Works great now! I wanted to put in the good word because not only was I the second owner, but the fridge was just out of warranty, yet they agreed to extend it in my case. Bravo Whynter!

Every Day is a Good Day Surfing...Some are just Better Than Others

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JimBiram

Adventurer
Yes. It's running continuous in my garage right now as a freezer for ice 4 weeks now.

Waltzing Matilda

Adventurer
thank you for the Information.

Question: How much energy does yours draw? Do you ever try using solar to operate it?
I have a 30 watt panel and the GoalZero 350 extreme, I'm trying to determine if it would run a similar Whynter model.

I just found a 65 qt Whynter on my local craigslist for $429. Seems close to new price (Home Depot has them for about $450 new I think). They claim it's been used once, and is still under warranty. I haven't seen it yet.

But based on your experience, I'm tempted.
I have some long travels into baja planned, and it would be nice to have a fridge vs. icebox when the temps are near 100.

4x4junkie

Explorer
My Edgestar (same as Whynter) 43qt unit draws an average of about 1¾ amps or so on 12V, dependent on ambient temperature (it varies from less than 0.25 amps on a cold night to maybe as much as 3 amps if it's 100° out). A 63qt unit is likely to consume a little more energy though (10-15% more, I'm guessing).

I suspect you would need 100W or more of solar to keep up with it if the weather is warm.

Waltzing Matilda

Adventurer
Checked out the Whynter 65 today from craigslist. My GoalZero Extreme 350 was able to keep it running, but it was pre-chilled, actually in freezer mode before I arrived, so hard to know how much draw it would have. (they have been using it as a supplemental freezer in the garage)

Take away: It really is too much fridge for my small truck camper, and for the kind of travel I do. The couple selling it have a Westie, and learned the same thing: too big for their rig. That's why they're selling it.

But at least I was able to see one in person. They are hard to find!

And turns out the people owners and I have a lot in common: many trips to Baja for kayaking, whalewatching etc.

humz

I`ve had my 45 QT for about a month now and it has performed flawlessly, did great in 90 degree temperatures. Haven`t had the chance to kill the battery with it yet, the longest it has sat is about 30 hours and it still started on my crappy battery.

Wildcat

Adventurer
glad to hear yall like your Whynter fridge. mine arrived from home depot yesterday. it went from 77f to 32f in @ 30 minutes. we leave friday for a trip from houston thru manitou springs, grand junction, moab, south jordan, then to four corners, palo duro canyon, then back to houston. its gonna get broke in good.

magentawave

Adventurer
Did you get the dual zone Whynter with the side by side fridge and freezer? I wish someone made a chest with a larger fridge and smaller freezer than that Whynter model.

glad to hear yall like your Whynter fridge. mine arrived from home depot yesterday. it went from 77f to 32f in @ 30 minutes. we leave friday for a trip from houston thru manitou springs, grand junction, moab, south jordan, then to four corners, palo duro canyon, then back to houston. its gonna get broke in good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne