My Take on a Bed Rack Build

Hi Guys!

I have been posting photo's over on my build thread for my my RTT specific bedrack build, but I thought since I used this sight so many times in researching design and looking for idea's on how I was going to build mine, I figured it would be best, and eaier to search for, if I made a separate thread and posted pic's only related to my bed rack or bed cage build.

Previous setup:

I pulled the trigger on a CVT Mt. Shasta last August for a road trip I went on with the GF down to Yellowstone & White Fish. It was a simple setup with only three cross that I welded up mounted to the OEM roof rack rails. It worked well for the month that I had it installed (had to take down for winter) but I soon realized for a number of reasons that come spring I would not be mounting the tent back up in the same manor.
rtt2.JPG
rtt1.JPG
rtt3.JPG
rtt4.JPG
For starters I had not liked having the RTT mounted up so high as it made it difficult to set up and take down, it increased my height of my rig by 17'', the cover was loaded with the stink of dead dried bugs that came to an "end" on the blunt edge of the cover. But the main reason I didn't want to mount it in the same location was that I had learned about the way the factory had installed the roof rack rails to the top of the cab of the truck, 5 riv-nuts/side... thats it!!!

Main goals for version 2.0:
- maintain enough height to maintain the usability of the annex while one is sleeping above while the other is down below
- keep the lowest profile possible
- maintain security of the bed contents for extended absence from the rig
- NOT TO LOOK "HOMEMADE"
- future consideration for mounting roto-pax & Maxtrax on either side
- keep the weight down without compromising any strength

The mock up stage:

I started out by picked up three lengths of 1"x2" 1/8" tubing for a total of 24' & measuring out my bed rails for a shop to build me a piece of angle iron that is sized just right to run the length of the cap, low enough to reach the bed rail mount to be bolted in..... but thin enough that I wasn't buying 3/8" thick industrial angle iron to keep the weight down.

The MS paint mock up/concept:

concept.jpg

After all that was in and ready to go, I went down to my pops shop where they have a few extra tools that I don't, the biggest being the room to work. and we took out measurements and calculated out our angles..... then just winged it!!

Here is how that turned out:

build 3.jpg
build 2.jpg

after seeing that our guesstimations were spot on we welded it all up then drilled the holes in the side of the angle iron and used 3/8" spring nuts to mount the bed rack into my trucks bed rail mounting system.

From there we placed the RTT on checked that the functionality of everything was there and how we wanted it, drilled the mounting holes so the tent will mount right up to the top of the bed cage.... and this is how it looked after all of that was complete:
mockup 1.jpg
mockup 2.jpg
mockup 3.jpg

Continued:

mockup 4.jpg
mockup 5.jpg

as it sits right now the frame is all painted with primer and is going to remain that way and we get a chance to use the setup a few times, just incase we want to make a few changes.

I have some LED lights that will be placed on the bottom of the bed rack as well for lighting up the cargo area, but the rain we are currently getting is holding me back from being able to do that install.

On one a last note I did work get some work done in the rain, inside the tent, fixing the "lighting issue" inside the tent
RTT lights.jpg

I put two 16" white LED strips on the support rails that will be individually switched that are able to provide more then enough light to read or do any other activity that requires light to do

I also put some foam under the mattress that came with the tent to try and soften things up a bit:
RTT matt.jpg

If there is anything that you want clarification on let me know or got any ideas on how to improve this setup please let me know!

Now that I have had some time to think about it I think I am going to have the RTT open up to the drivers side.

The reason for my thinking is that the rear tire carrier opens towards the passenger side of the truck, so in its current configuration whenever the tail gate is down and the swing-out is open to get to the back of the truck (where everything will be stored) we'll have to walk around the swing-out which is not that much extra distance, but I think will be a pain and we'll get tired of it fast....

Any reason why I shouldn't have it open up to the drivers side?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
whenever the tail gate is down and the swing-out is open to get to the back of the truck (where everything will be stored) we'll have to walk around the swing-out which is not that much extra distance, but I think will be a pain and we'll get tired of it fast....

Any reason why I shouldn't have it open up to the drivers side?

Understandable reasoning. This is one reason I haven't put a swing-away on my van - my back doors are always open but we "live" out of the passenger side space.

Only problems I see with a driver-side tent deployment is that you become sort of "triple wide" at that point, since you open swing away to the right and open tent to the left.
1) If you use established campgrounds, they often aren't configured for driver-side space. Might be clearance issues in some (limited) circumstances.

2) Similarly, if you plan to use any place just off a road, this could be an issue. Near here in Anza Borrego desert, you can camp anywhere up to 1 car length off the road where you can park without hurting vegetation. Might be tough to meet those criteria if you open to the passenger side and deploy tent to driver's side AND have to be out of the road.

Got Beer

Observer
True Herbie - but one might be able to park in the "wrong" direction. I have seen rigs pull forward in established campgrounds because that is how their rig access allowed. In the AB example, one could pull to the opposite side of the road or turn around so the driver's side is away from the road. Once you get away from the main roads (better camping locations), I don't think the ranger's will bother with a less traditional parking arrangement when the need for such is evident.

I agree that walking around the swing out rack would get old. You have both created doubt in my head regarding future bumper build dreams.

Great Points Herbie - I should mention that my tire swing-out only opens up 90* to the tail gate, I built it to have a pin drop down and lock it into location because if it goes much further past 90* the tire will hit and break the tail light. So from that perspective It wouldn't make me "3 wide" if I switch to a drivers side opening set-up, but I still will be "2 wide & extra long".... but that would happen either side I open the tent to.

Perhaps I should consider having the tent open up to the rear?

Thanks Wh1t3nukle, there are a few of us out there!

ExpedH3T

Explorer
image.jpg

Nice T! I don't have any issues with the ladder on the driver's side. Might suggest 255/85R16's for tires

Very well done. What would be the cons of having the tent oriented to the rear?

I am not sure how the rear tire swing out would interfere with the annex of the tent and I believe that is the biggest con. when I take the tent off for the final finishing coat of paint I think I am going to experiment with it opening to the rear just to see.
One thing that could be a pro to opening to the rear is that the tailgate will act as a good table inside the annex.

I made some minor modifications to the Rack this past week, so far its only been to make the mounting bolts more accessible for removing the rack as I have some welding and cutting planned and I certainly will not be doing that with it mounted on the truck! Not to mention the bed liner I am going to spray it down with!

I'll take some pictures and update this thread as I go, but I figured the six squares about the mounting bolts that were just cut don't really warrant a picture as its not all that exciting or thrilling!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94