SUP and kayak rack

I am trying to figure a way to put my 2 SUPs and RTT on my Gobi rack for the 4runner. Has anyone ever tried to tie down two SUPs on the J style kayak transport racks?

Thanks

I am trying to figure a way to put my 2 SUPs and RTT on my Gobi rack for the 4runner. Has anyone ever tried to tie down two SUPs on the J style kayak transport racks?

Thanks

Why not stack them with pads between the two boards? SUZp's don't typically fit well in J-cradles and while the rails are a strong part of the boards there's a lot of potential load on a small surface area when you're hitting the bumps.

Why not stack them with pads between the two boards? SUZp's don't typically fit well in J-cradles and while the rails are a strong part of the boards there's a lot of potential load on a small surface area when you're hitting the bumps.

Normally I would stack them with out pads, easy way to travel with SUPs. I have a roof top tent that takes up most of the rack space, trying to avoid buying a chaser trailer right now. I have found some cheap J-cradles, might give it a try and see at low speeds. Good point about the rails, even with these epoxy boards they are the weak point. I will add some extra padding.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
This is the exact reason I don't want to get a RTT. Once you have a RTT on the roof you are very limited to extra space. I have thought of using the Kayak Rack exactly how you mentioned, but, I thought maybe it would weaken the rocker when driving on the freeway at 70MPH.

Ramjet

Explorer
Stack the SUP's on top of each other. Never transport them on the rails. They will get crushed. Also, never transport them in bags in hot environments. They have a tendency to melt or explode.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne