DIY Firestarters

b63215b

Adventurer
Hello there. I have been making fire starters for awhile now, with the help of my wife. Today I needed to make a new batch so I figured i would share how I make them here.

List to materials:
- old egg carton
- old candles (scented or unscented)
- dryer lint
- saw dust
- stove (preferably outdoor Coleman)
- old pot
- water

First you need to prepare the egg carton by cutting off the top place the bottom on the carton upside down and nuzzle the bottom inside the top like a base.

Next start to boil your water in the pot on the stove. Place the candle in a glass container (be aware that the glass may break, happened to me numerous times). The candle will slowly start to melt into liquid form.

Step 1: egg carton ready

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398628275.761232.jpg

Step 2: dryer lint on the bottom

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398628311.291690.jpg

Step 3: full the carton with saw dust, press down with your finger

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398628393.291428.jpg

Step 4: pour the melted wax into the cartons. (The piece you see is part of the egg carton to compact it down) pour some wax top with more saw dust. Repeat a few times to the desired level.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398628672.868975.jpg

Step 5: let rest and the. Pull the cartons individually out (ready for fire)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398628770.889670.jpg

Notice I put some more lint on the top to act as the wick. If I had some wick I would have used that. Below are individual fire starters that I sell with wicked.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398629046.021101.jpg

Thanks for looking, let me know if you have any questions.

b63215b

Adventurer
No problem was hoping someone could find it useful. Even better when it takes things that most crafty people have around the house.

psykokid

Explorer
I've been making these for a while except without the sawdust and using dental floss as a wick and string to dip the cartons into the melted wax with.. My wife HATES the fact that i save dryer lint for these, drives her batty..

b63215b

Adventurer
Really dental floss I will have to try that, thanks fe the idea. The saw dust helps for a longer burn time.

Use toilet paper tubes fill with either lint, cotton, and or sawdust. Pour in melted wax let cool then use a serrated knife to cut into pucks of varying thickness. Or heat up petroleum jelly dump in lots of cotton balls squeeze out excess PJ and stuff into old film canisters. Pull out a little as needed and use a flint and striker to ignite, and or use to moisten lips when chapped.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I'd actually prefer the lint, or maybe cotton balls, on top. Its hard to light a wick with a magnesium rod or flint. How well does the lint light from a spark? I guess you can add a wick under the lint, but I doubt its worth it. Or twist the lint into a wick?

Señorlechero

I like to take strike anywhere matches, wrap them in a few layers of TP and then dip the whole thing in melted paraffin or bees wax. This makes an all in one fire starter.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Since the cotton balls-in-Vaseline has been brought up, I'd like to add my $.02. Yes, the Vaseline-soaked cotton balls work great, but don't catch a spark very well. If you are planning on using a striker or flint, keep some cotton balls without the Vaseline. The dry cotton balls are pretty good at catching a spark (but, of course, not as good as charred cloth), and then the dry cotton will ignite the Vaseline-soaked ones for a nice, slow burning, tender igniter.

psykokid

Explorer
I'd actually prefer the lint, or maybe cotton balls, on top. Its hard to light a wick with a magnesium rod or flint. How well does the lint light from a spark? I guess you can add a wick under the lint, but I doubt its worth it. Or twist the lint into a wick?

Un-waxed dryer lint goes up real quick like with a spark from a flint/mag/firesteel.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Chemical fire is where it is at.:victory:
Less space way more uses other then fire.

Potassium Permanganate and Glycerin or Antifreeze
Antifreeze produces a more violent reaction, found in most vehicles but works

Brake fluid and chlorine more violent then above

All the above ingredients have multiable uses in the outback or for survival

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Since the cotton balls-in-Vaseline has been brought up, I'd like to add my $.02. Yes, the Vaseline-soaked cotton balls work great, but don't catch a spark very well. If you are planning on using a striker or flint, keep some cotton balls without the Vaseline. The dry cotton balls are pretty good at catching a spark (but, of course, not as good as charred cloth), and then the dry cotton will ignite the Vaseline-soaked ones for a nice, slow burning, tender igniter.

^Correctomundo^ Vaseline only prolongs the burn, hurt more then help with ignition.

peneumbra

Explorer
Nothing burns (and sticks) like a mixture of gasoline and laundry soap (AKA Third World Democracy Torch). Be sure to use a thin-walled bottle...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior