Expeditions in the SAHARA

Hello

I finally took the time to sort out, select and publish a gallery of some photos of expeditions I've led in the Sahara. I though that can interest you…
http://gekoexpeditions.com/?portfolio=sahara-expeditions
(it takes a few seconds to load)
Most of these trips were made in Libya and Algeria, before the wars of Libya and then Malia. I've always left from Switzerland where I'm living. Then the group meet in the port of Marseille (F) or Genoa (IT). Groups are made of enthusiasts from different countries and with their own 4x4 or renting one of our rig. We then cross the Mediteranean sea to Tunis. Then we cross Tunisia to Libya or Algeria depending on the destination. Trips from 2 to 4 weeks long.
Hope you'll appreciate the pictures.

All the best
Nico

Last edited:

oonimog

Adventurer
Beautiful pictures, looks like you had a great time. Too bad the situation in northern Africa doesn't allow such trips for now, hopefully someday soon.

HI
Thanks for the kind feed-back. In fact the situation is evolving in the Sahara. We're organizing tours in one of the most interesting and beautiful part of the Sahara again... The south-East of Algeria is now secured ( Tadrart, Tassili N'Ajjer…) and authorizations can be obtained with some conditions. Warning, all the country is not secured / open to the tourism. The south-west, border with Malia, Tam area and some gas extraction areas remain closed.
I will lead an explo tour in november this year with a group. So happy :)
All the best
Nico

Byrnie Mac

Observer
Incredible. Stunning pictures. Just out of curiosity, what would something like that cost? Say a three week trip, using a rental rig? Destination doesn't really matter so much, as long as I this scenery like in those photos

Hi Byrnie

Sorry for my late reply. Was out touring in Romania…
The cost to participate in one of our tour in the Sahara can be resumed like that:
- equipped 4x4 rental (Toyota or Land Rover or Isuzu pick-up), with camping stuff: starting at 180.- $/ day.
- participation (for a 3 weeks tour), including guiding (2 guides) + driving assistance if needed + mechanical assistance (1 specialized mechanic) + food (cook) + hotels (only 3, most nights spent bivouacking in the wild): 3200.- $/ per person
- ferry (from Genoa (IT) to Tunis (TN)): car: 400.-$
- ferry: person: start at 360.- $

You have then to add:
- the cost of your flight to Geneva or Paris and 2 nights in hotel there
- the cost of your visa (has to be made locally in your country)
- the cost of fuel (about 2.-/liter in Europe, but only 0.70 $/lt in Tunisia and 0,17 $/lt in Algeria), for a total of about 700.-$

Dont' hesitate to ask for more infos.
All the best
Nico
explo@geko4x4.com

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles