2005 F150 FX4 build advice

Crawfish

Hello Everyone. New here and new to overlanding. I have a wife and 2 children 7 and 3 years old. We have been camping and exploring for a long time but mostly base camp type situations. We are looking to be able to head out for a couple of week trips this summer in the plains and Midwest area. We look to remain on the move camping a different spot each night covering a good bit of ground. I have a 93 YJ jeep with lift, big tires, low gears and the works for trails looking to build the truck for comfort, range, room, and ability but not rocks or serious trails. We will cover a lot of dirt and gravel roads some not very well maintained as well as light trails. The truck is currently stock except for wheels and tires. Here are a few questions

Lift kit or spend the money on fancy suspension (fox or other)? How tall would you want it for this application?
What size tires? What size rims as well? I currently have 20's (on it when I bought it) I think maybe they are to much rim and not enough rubber which could led to damage. Thoughts on this? I have 3.72 gears
I'm planning to add lockers. should I go air or elocker?
I want a winch. should I go with a whole new bumper or go with the hidden bracket deal?
Feel free to share any ideas
Thanks for the help,
Denny

Raul B

Explorer
Welcome aboard. Glad to see another f series on here. Most of the stuff you want I already have on my truck. Click on my build thread so you can see if you want to go that route

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

SJEEPER

Observer
I think the Rancho ready lift is the best bang for your buck. Come as a complete unit shock and coil so you don't have to take it to a shop to install. I don't recommend spacer lifts they are known to destroy shocks. for 300-350.00 you can't go wrong with them. I have had a set for over a year now and rides great. If you have the cash camburg or icon.

For the rear I just ordered new lift shackles but you can do add a leaf or even blocks. A few options there depending on your needs.

For tires I plan on getting goodyear duratracs when ready. 295x65x18 is a true 33". IMO, 20s are too big, 18s have limited sizes but can be found. if I didn't already have the 18 I would go with a 17 maybe even 16 if the caliper would clear, not sure on that.

lockers arb is available front and back...of course if you have the cash. I have the factory rear locker and honestly I think it works great, first truck with a locker so I don't have much to compare but def better then not having one at all.

3.73 are a good paring for 33s can probably get away with it you go bigger 35..a tune would help with power

I also have an 05 f150 and have not found a hidden winch design but would choose that over a heavy bumper. They do make front hitches and could get a hitch mounted winch but I don't like how low the front hitch sits

I would love a rear bumper with a tire carrier but haven't found one. Could then use the space under the bed where the spare tire used to be and get an aux fuel tank. That would have to be custom since no one makes something like that for it. good luck.

Last edited:

Raul B

Explorer
I think the Rancho ready lift is the best bang for your buck. Come as a complete unit shock and coil so you don't have to take it to a shop to install. I don't recommend spacer lifts they are known to destroy shocks. for 300-350.00 you can't go wrong with them. I have had a set for over a year now and rides great. If you have the cash camburg or icon.

For the rear I just ordered new lift shackles but you can do add a leaf or even blocks. A few options there depending on your needs.

For tires I plan on getting goodyear duratracs when ready. 295x65x18 is a true 33". IMO, 20s are too big, 18s have limited sizes but can be found. if I didn't already have the 18 I would go with a 17 maybe even 16 if the caliper would clear, not sure on that.

lockers arb is available front and back...of course if you have the cash. I have the factory rear locker and honestly I think it works great, first truck with a locker so I don't have much to compare but def better then not having one at all.

3.73 are a good paring for 33s can probably get away with it you go bigger 35..a tune would help with power

I also have an 05 f150 and have not found a hidden winch design but would choose that over a heavy bumper. They do make front hitches and could get a hitch mounted winch but I don't like how low the front hitch sits

I would love a rear bumper with a tire carrier but haven't found one. Could then use the space under the bed where the spare tire used to be and get an aux fuel tank. That would have to be custom since no one makes something like that for it. good luck.

All great info. We're helping to develop a rear bumper with a spare tire carrier and it should be ready in a couple of weeks.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

SJEEPER

Observer
wanted to add that Warn does have a hidden winch system, also comes with a pretty hefty price tag but does include a 9k winch.

Crawfish

Thanks for taking the time to help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior