2005 GMC Savana 3/4 Ton Adventure Van Build Thread....

ober27

Adventurer
I would say both your van and your girlfriend were great finds. I look forward to following your build. You have many great adventures ahead of you.

Anti Bling

Off Road Rabbit
great build. i am in the market for the same van as yours. keep up the good work. that second battery would be great for powering up a power converter when you want 110v.

ADVANTR

I would say both your van and your girlfriend were great finds. I look forward to following your build. You have many great adventures ahead of you.

Excellent summation my friend, I couldn't agree with you more. Though I would trade this van in a heartbeart for a female like this. My mother said years ago the wrong woman can destroy a man, and the right one can elevate him far past what he would otherwise have been.

being nosey what did the initial van run? and any pics with the top up?

I am working on some pics for you with the top up. Will post soon. As far as price --> I had been following the prices of extended body 3/4 and 1 ton vans for a while. The problem with trying to find these used is that so many of them are used as work vehicles and get pretty well beat up. Their maintanince is basically neglected as well. They are tough to find from private owners with the options you may be looking for. We didn't want the passenger version with the full windows. Too much visibility there. With that said, they seemed to be running between about 8k for a van in good to fair shape to about 12k for one in much better shape. Of course, this varies slightly with mileage, owner, location, etc. So, we ended up spending about 14k for this one, but it had very low mileage for the year. (42k) Also, and this was the real selling point for us, it already had the sportsmobile top installed. This is about 6800 bucks if you want them to do it plus about 2 weeks time. So, I figured paying 14K was a pretty fair price. We had even searched used Sprinters which were also high on our build list but they seem to go at least 15k and SUPER hard to find with less than 100k miles if you get an older model. So, they you have it, we pulled the trigger.....no regrets:)

ADVANTR

So, then there was the gaucho build.....

We went over many build options for this. We discussed build materials, designs, size, placement, etc. I have seen this done many different ways, and I think many of them work well, so its really a matter of building something that works for you. There are a few companies online that build some really awesome designs, but they have done it many times and, undoubtedly, you pick up many pearls along the way building these things. So, needless to say, your first attempt will rarely be your best. Still, we dived right in.

Also, let it be known, that we had one distinct advantage here. We were able to enlist the help of Rebecca's dad, coming all the way from Montana, to take the lead on the gaucho build. He's basically like the type of guy that can build anything. Give him a leatherman, a drill, and a handsaw and you'd be surprised what he can come up with. He drew up a real simple design. He designed it as two seperate pieces. The first is metal base built out of metal constructions studs. I think, in retrospect, this could have been done by using 14 gauge tubular mild steel and welded, but we didn't have access to a welder, and his design is far lighter.

Here is the base mocked up.

IMG_3663.JPG

Here is how it was fitted to the van. We wanted to have storage space below. It also sits high enough to be comfortable and still able to house the amplifier, subwoofer, and second battery. Gotta love a guy still willing to get into the project and get his hands dirty. Notice the walls and the insulation installed. This adds to the sound deadening as well.

IMG_3657.JPG

Then, we decided to cover the walls as well with some basic outdoor carpet which we acquired. Makes the inside way more comfortable and reasonable for spending extended amounts of time. I had my master installer/fabricator/upholsterer/and "lead tech" on the job:)

IMG_3666.jpg

Attention was turned to the wood piece of the gaucho. This was where Craig's skills really began to show. I gladly played second fiddle here, picking up pointers and ideas wherever I could...

IMG_3681.JPG

Here we are mocked up in the van. You can get a basic idea of what the concept is all about. Very simple, very easy to use. They always say the best designs are those that get the job accomplished with very little extra. Simple designs are awesome. Absolutely true. The wood piece slides forward easily and becomes one flat bed. It is held into the couch position by some wood stops on the bottom which are not seen.

IMG_3685.jpg

Here is the view from the front. Notice the position of that sub. Sounds pretty awesome. We thought about going with 2 subwoofers or something bigger, but anymore bass and we would be getting complaints from the neighbors all day long. They already seem a little weary of this white adventure van build.....

IMG_3688.JPG

Another view.

IMG_3690.JPG

Of course, Rebecca adds her touch and skill to the project. She has an ability to make things not only functional but also look awesome. This was all her. She's a flipping magician with a staple gun!!

IMG_3731.jpg

Current set-up.

IMG_3738.JPG

Still many build items left to go, but we are taking our time and enjoying the process. This has been very fun so far, but lots of work as well working around our schedules and as time allows. This week we are heading down in the van to Outer Banks, NC. Awesome place. Already had a chance to test out the gaucho. Works fabulously. Will tweak a few things on it, but excellent overall. Van is already a great little adventure machine. Simple, and offers many benefits. The mods thus far have proven really great in turning this thing from a basic work truck with a sportsmobile top to a true adventure van in the making!

Here we are getting ready to pack up the surfboards, climbing gear, and had south. Gonna kiteboard this week as well.

IMG_3736.JPG

Stay tuned for more projects in the future.

Any ideas for the name of this van??

And comments on the gaucho build?? Ways to improve??

wheels5150

Observer
Looking good - finding the sportsmobile top was a score. I wrestle with the cost vs value added at least monthly, I'd like it but it's 6-7k...

ADVANTR

At the build again.....

So, we were down in North Carolina for some time kiteboarding and surfing. Ended up picking our first kite set-up which is crazy expensive, but it does beat paying this money to the shrink:)

We have been building and adding things to the van as time, money, and trips allow. It's always about the fine line between finding the time to build things for the van and actually using it....the same theme came up as we were looking for a van as an adventure vehicle. Our top choice had actually become a sprinter or a 4X4 Ford van, but spending over 25-30k on just the vehicle makes coming up with the cash to actually use it more challenging. You gotta balance it out, I guess.

On a side note, I would say many people (including myself) struggle with this. It becomes too much about the build, too much about the preparations, and not as much about the actual trip or journey. We have the mentality to make it more about the trips. Don't get me wrong, I love the build aspect. But it's gotta be a balance.

Anyways, the fem I live with, she is real gifted with a number of tools. (Numerous funny jokes could be inserted here) She even knows her way around a sewing machine. Despite the limited windows, and the fact they are tinted, you can easily get pinched urban camping at the church parking lot without the proper drape set-up. So, with some fabric, some magnets, and a whole lotta imagination, this is what she came up with.

IMG_3693.jpg

IMG_3704.jpg

She built out three of these. Front, back, and passenger side. This is what the side doors look like from the inside. You could shine a flashlight right at the window at night and absolutely no light gets through from the inside. It looks completely non-descript. Perfect. I even like the funky pattern she picked out:sunflower

IMG_3708.JPG

IMG_3807.jpg

I had promised some picture with the top up. This is from a surf beach in NC, Outer Banks. This baby gets a lot of questions.....

IMG_3784.JPG

IMG_3789.jpg

IMG_3785.JPG

Of course, no trip is truly complete without a few trusty companions. Even though I am not talking to her for the past couple of days, because she sideswiped me on my skateboard resulting in staples in my head, I still think she defines the term "pure stoke".

IMG_3822.jpg

I am going to post final pictures of the gaucho seat. The cushions arrived a few days back and really make the project complete. It's pretty awesome. Already tried sleeping on it and it super comfy!! I am going to start the galley build within a few weeks. This will be the last piece of interior furniture we will build. I will try to incorporate the grill and the Engel cooler into this galley somehow. Still checking out other people's builds and compiling ideas.

Finally, anyone going to the October Overland Rally in Vermont this year?? We'll be there, with the black lab in tow:wings:

Last edited:

ADVANTR

If you come down to Wilmington I'll buy the beers

Rebecca and I always down for some cold ones!! I think we'll take you up on that. We actually pass through Wilmington quite often on the way over the the NH coast for some surfing just south of Portsmouth. That's a pretty cool area. NH only has 17 miles of coast, but reasonable surf nonetheless.

Out of Wilmington, that's quite a nice ride as you head east on Route 9, and then you can grab 101 out of Keene which is also quite scenic, eventually over to Manchester. We'll have to look you up next time we pass through.

Southern VT is a cool area, I am always exploring over there. Usually on my DR650.....
This beast I have owned since 2002. It used to be blue/white, but then I went Mad Max on it and made it black....it goes better since it now has the big header and meaty exhaust. She was always bit feisty being a big, air-cooled singe....but lately she's been sounding downright angry:)

I must say of the big singles, other than maybe the KTM (big bucks), I think I still like the DR's the best.

IMG_0724.JPG

philos

Explorer
nice DR. I'm an XR650R guy, but my buddy's had a few DRs, they're fun. I'm beginning to yearn for an electric start though...

ADVANTR

Hey, guys, sorry for such a long time since my last post.

The usual stuff gets in the way --> work, summer projects (been working on my WRX and helping my fem with some projects as well), trips, and a dog that needs to be exercised every day.

As we have gone forward with this build this spring/summer, we have always tried to keep this van very simple and useable. If we didn't really need it, we have tried to stay away from it. We have tried to avoid build extra stuff just for the cool factor. Also, like most people, we are limited by time and funds. Finally, we have also made a distinct effort to actually use the van. As in --> what good is a cool adventure van if you spend more time working and modifying than actually camped out underneath the stars??

With this theme in mind, our desire to build the galley for cooking has essentially gone away. It's actually quite simple --> since we are hauling our bikes (sometimes 4 at a time) and surfboards inside the van, it really makes the galley sort of an impossible addition. Since we are currently based out of the northeast, and I have already have had my mountain bike ripped off once, I wasn't going use roof or bumper racks to haul gear. Maybe a rocket box in the future for secure storage, but thats it. Hence, a galley build has been currently shelved. Things change, but for now, we are keeping the interior space to haul gear and extra room. As always, we appreciate your suggestions and advice on our floor plan and mods thus far:sombrero:

Some of you have asked for some final pics of the gaucho couch/sleeper. I am including a few here after we installed the cushions.

IMG_4066.JPG

IMG_4067.jpg

This is the way the bikes usually ride if we are heading kiteboarding or surfing. This allows for surfboards on the wall to the right, and general gear in the center.

IMG_3961.JPG

Certainly, we have been putting together small little projects along the way to continue to customize the van. Just a few small tweaks......

A necessary flashlight stashed behind passenger:

IMG_3960.JPG

After I gashed myself in the back pretty good on some coral surfing in Maui, we figure we'd better get our first aid kit well equipped. We snagged a couple goodies from the hospital....this is just the start:bike_rider: We also have the requesite Lidocaine, stapler, dermabond, and other first aid essentials. Interestingly enough, she already used the stapler on my head last month after I got taken out on my skateboard and needed 3 in the back of the head.....the little lady had some surgical skills in addition to fabrication skills......

IMG_3954.jpg

So, we have taken some trips thus far and are planning some longer ones for the fall. (We are planning on swinging by the Overland Rally in VT in October, this promises to be great fun).

Surfing in NH with the following pics:

IMG_3978.JPG

IMG_3980.jpg

Here is what we are thinking for the future, over the next couple of months.

1.) Adding an inverter to the rear electrical set-up. I already picked up a 600 watt Xantrex, just waiting to hardwire to back battery.
2.) Likely a portable solar set-up just to start messing around with this technology. I have not yet decided which way to go, but I am checking out GoalZero as they have some really trick gear.
3.) Some funky graphics or paint in the future. I want to get a little crazy with the white, but I also don't want to lose stealth factor.

Finally, I'd like to leave you guys with the following thought. There are times when we find ourselves frustrated from work, totally exhausted from the endless hours and overbearing superiors. It is in these times that we turn to life's simpler pleasures --> our 2 wheeled machines for a cruise around some of the local dirt roads. The problem that arises is that often the famed and storied Japanese engineers find it amusing to set-up a fuel mixture that has our little 250 wheezing for air in the best of circumstances. Poor starts, erratic idle, terrible flat-spots in the midrange...this must be what they think consumers want out of their dual sports.....

Well, I have the following picture in response. She had it out in under 40 minutes....I just stood and watched:victory:

Fattened up the pilot, more aggressive tapered needle, bigger main jet, and threw out the stock snorkel......

She's currently running like a scalded cat.....

IMG_4063.jpg

Last edited:

ober27

Adventurer
I'm glad the vans working out for you. I like the simple, functional and versatile approach you're taking with the interior.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior