2005 GMC Savana 3/4 Ton Adventure Van Build Thread....

aod99

Hey,

You have already probably thought about it but just in case you haven't, I have had two wheel drive vans and four wheel drive vans. The four wheel drive is great and all but for the cost and weight.

Splitting the difference is a two wheel drive with a locking differential. You probably know all about locking diffs with your WRX. I have had limited slip diffs and they are nice and relatively cheap but once I have a cargo van and one of these: http://www.powertrax.com/ totally opened up muddy roads and snow for me. It wasn't too expensive and I was able to install it myself. They click lightly when doing tight turns but for pure outright maximum drive to both rear wheels it couldn't be beat.

I couldn't tell if your van already had a LS differential but, if not, it might be something to consider as an good trade off between traction and cost.

ADVANTR

86Scotty --> You touched on one of the biggest themes I have been harping on these past couple of years. I feel I am always limited by time and money. Always thinking that there will be some better time in the future to make the trip, or buy that adventure vehicle. I have begun to think instead of how I can get it done, despite it not being perfect or the way I initially envisioned it.

I mean, I am a gearhead at heart, we all are. I love diesel engines, low reduction T-cases, high travel suspension systems, who wouldn't drool over this stuff?? But I have come to accept that if it means going on a trip for a longer time or getting more time with the brown haired fem in my life, I'll forgo all the cool mods for the experience of the trip. I remember being in Mexico on my DR650, which is an old school single which I have ridden for years without issue (25+k miles) and I was miles down this dirt trail near beach with my brother. All of a sudden we see two old Mexicans, likely in their 60's, with 4 bald tires in an early 80's old school toyota pickup. No winch, no 4wd, no recovery gear, no nothing! They had some sand bags in the back and a cooler for beer, THAT WAS IT! Oh, and the radio worked cause they were playing loud mariachi music!!! I mean, they got stuck a few times, but they still made it, no big fuss. Drinking beer the whole way...

That day I realized that it's not all about the vehicle, its about making sure you actually go!!!

Better to be the guy in Arizona with Jersey plates, then the guy with the pricey Beemer who has never left the state. Don't kill me on this line, I like Beemers too:)

IMG_0047.JPG

AOD99 --> Thanks for the info. That looks pretty awesome. Certainly a possibility in the future. I had sorta resigned to not taking this van to Mexico because of the obvious traction and weight issues, but that does give me some hope. Rebecca and I are planning a 4-6 month run to Panama, most likely when she finishes her current plan of study, which would be in 2017. We have been debating scoring an old, used Toyota pickup (1996-2004) for 4-6k and just going with a very minimalist approach or actually trying to take the van because we already own it and has some good mods already. Problem is her and I like to get off the beaten path for surfing, kiting, and rock climbing. This is why I simply think a 3/4 ton won't work. But maybe with recovery gear, winch, and locker in the back, I'm just not giving this beast enough credit. I just know how weight kills off road.....

Anyways, guys, thanks for following the journey:victory:

aod99

The locker or LS rear axle is probably 4X better than an open axle. I'd take 2WD with a locker over 4wd with open differentials. The only drawback is that if you are power sliding the van (on wet or snow) there is less resistance (like none) to slide slipping. If you don't power slide the van a lot, well, then it is not much downside except for the time and expense to install it.

Another recovery thing to look into would be a front trailer hitch mount with a receiver mounted winch with enough cable to hook it up to power from either your rear trailer hitch or front trailer hitch. It won't be convenient but, you know, if it comes to that... In the meantime you can use the front mount for a cargo carrier or bicycles or whatever.

You've got a great aesthetic and a terrific philosophy.

riNR

Observer
Did you find the dynamat (sound materials) made a big difference in the noise coming into the cab of the van?

bunks-tj

Observer
first check in, in a while. looks like you are enjoying it and thats all that you can hope for. in the 1.25 post is that empty lot cahoon hallow beach?

06xpressAWD

More pics and some more updates....

Sorry if I have some redundant photos, I have been figuring out this upload thing from Google photos. Should be all set.

So, we've been continuing with the stereo install and some other things as well. We have been working lots on the interior. We were held up by some April snow, cold temps, and the occasional wrench being aimed at my head by the poorly satiated GF.....

We drilled some custom holes in the front door panels to mount the front tweeters. The front component speakers, I must say, are well worth the extra work of wiring and mounting of the crossovers. They sound terrific. Also, I am sure the Dynamat in the doors also helps. On a side note, I will say that GM didn't do us any favors with the interior. The clips used in the door panels are an absolute pain in the *** to get out. Good luck on taking off the dash panel without cursing the ex mother-in-law.....Still, we did win the war on that one. Surprisingly, wasn't too bad going back in.

These are the door panels with tweeters mounted.

IMG_3620.JPG

We "mocked" up a rear panel to house the second battery and the JL Audio 500 watt 3 channel amplifier. I went with a second battery kit from XS Power for now. It had basically everything I needed and was well priced. The second battery is not the biggest, but I also wasn't looking to carry a huge 2 battery as this adds significant strain to charging system. I know in the future I may want more power in the back, but I figured this would be a good start. I really plan on having power in the back for just the following:

• power amp and stereo when parked
  • 800 - 1200 watt inverter (future mod)
  • charging of computers, phones, etc.
  • occasional heater, fan, appliance
That's about it.

Here is the first rendition of the rear battery set-up. Obviously, in future we are going to clean up and shorten many wires. We are holding off until gaucho sleeper/sofa is complete to shorten all wires appropriately.

IMG_3637.jpg

When doing all the wiring for the second battery, I wanted to be able to isolate the rear battery when necessary. There are so many ways to do this that you can get dizzy just going over the details. There are expensive, fully automated, isolators which I am sure do a fabulous job but I simply didn't want to add another variable to think about and my needs simply don't require something as advanced as this. I's rather put the money towards something else like a better front fork for my GF's mountain bike or beer:. I did, nonetheless, find the following diagram quite useful. It is an exceptionally simple way to wire a second battery, and I took it one step further.

Battery+Isolator+Wiring.jpg

In this set-up, you would have an "automatic" connection whenever you turn the key to "ignition". It prevents them being connected for long periods of time or the driving forgetting to isolate them. I basically ran this set-up, but I made the relay completely manual.

I purchased a standard battery disconnect that is often used in race cars or even ambulances. I used to work as a paramedic for years, and still remember reaching down to connect "the box" when going on calls. Now, instead of reaching down before going to pick up drunks and dead people, I reach down to give some juice to the rear amp:) I mounted this relay right below the passenger seat, easy access.

Gotta love these knee pads:sombrero:
IMG_3670.jpg

Final install, when connected. It is overly simple, I know, but I love it. Works great. I also like it because it gives me total control. I like the ability to start the car and let the van run for 10 minutes or so to just charge the starting battery and then I connect them. Pretty cool. Let me know what you guys think.

IMG_3676.JPG

Interior going back together.....I know what you guys are thinking. Does this chick do all the work?? And, where can I find a girl like this?? Well, someone has to shoot the damn pictures, and yes, she is pretty damn gifted. Not an easy girl to find....if you look closely, check out that trick Craftsman hat with the LED lighting built in:)

IMG_3643.JPG

No adventure van is complete without proper footwear. The stock rubber was still on the van. Still had some tread, but definetly not ideal condition after 9 years. I figure I would go with a wheel upgrade as well. I have, since I was about 17, a sucker for black rims.....And, the matte black, even better.....

IMG_3699.JPG

IMG_3701.jpg

We are not planning on keeping this van completely white for very long. Planning out some possible decals/vinyl over the summer.

I will post the updates on the gaucho couch/sleeper, curtains, interior paneling coming up shortly......

Please let me know what you guys think, and of course, any suggestions!!!

Love your soft 8 wheels! What offset are they? I here stock gmc are +28/31mm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne