mercedes 614 brake disc replacement

surfer4life

Observer
Hi,

Is changing the front discs and pads on a 614 vario pretty straight forward? I think the rears involve taking hubs apart but i'm hoping the front is straight forward enough that i can do myself, as i was checking the van over yesterday and found big chunks had fallen out of the disc:Wow1::Wow1::Wow1:

Thanks

Andy

nick disjunkt

Adventurer
Chunks missing sounds unusual. I'm not sure if the vario is the same but the atego/axor have a bevelled edge on the discs that indicate wear, when the bevel section is worn to nothing, the disc needs replacing. Sorry, I can't be more help on the changover now but when I get the chance I'll get the Xentry computer out and check

Ullie

Adventurer
For our Vario 814 it's straigth forward. 2 bolts for removing the pads and another 2 bolds for the padholder (or how do jo say this). Than the disk can be taken off and replaced. We don't have disks in the rear. But it's not that difficult to open the brakes at the rear although you have to remove the rear axle.

surfer4life

Observer
Thanks for the replies guys, i'll order some new ones and change them out.

I think it happened as i live next to the sea, and i'm down the beach most days, so salt water is hitting the discs quite often, and although it gets used regularly, its only a mile by road to the beach so doesnt take all the rust off the discs that has formed, 3 years later the discs have just given up, its more like 2" flakes have come off. Still passed the MOT in march though!

mmmartin

The main problem with the Vario front disc is that they crack radially, this causes the flaking that you have seen. The cracks are caused by the heat build up during braking and then splashing them with cold water either by heavy rain or jet wash. I know it sounds unlikely but from experience operating a fleet of 10 Varios/814 for the last 20 years bring some experience. Pads need to be inspected regularly as these too fill flake after a couple of years. Rear drums need to come of every two years to remove build up of rust/dust but is not a big job. Mind the seal on the shaft taking the drum off/on and adjust so that you get 3 clicks on the hand brake if on the old type (cable only)

andylod

Tea Drinker :-)
Hi
Front disks on the later 814 ( with rear discs also ) ..... Remove pads and unbolt caliper, remove front hub with holding bolt and centre nut, unbolt disc from rear of hub then hit it with a large hammer to remove it fom the hub, clean up and reassemble with new discs and pads !!!!!
Hope this helps
Andy
Hi,

Is changing the front discs and pads on a 614 vario pretty straight forward? I think the rears involve taking hubs apart but i'm hoping the front is straight forward enough that i can do myself, as i was checking the van over yesterday and found big chunks had fallen out of the disc:Wow1::Wow1::Wow1:

Thanks

Andy

surfer4life

Observer
some great advice there guys, thanks.

mines the front and rear disc with air handbrake model, wont do the rear my self, but fronts look straight forward enough ;-)

Andy

Mattymoo

Hi there.. I own a mercedes vario 814d with rear brake on the back, I'm struggling to remove castle nut behind the half shaft. If anyone has had any experience with this it would be a great help. I see they sell an 85 mm castle socket for this job at £95, wondered if that's the only way to go? Thanks matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94