Lower price on MacBook Air laptops

haven

Expedition Leader
Apple has just updated its MacBook Air laptops. The new models have a newer, more power-efficient Intel processor that runs at a slightly higher speed. The processor update should add about an hour to the battery life of both 11 inch and 13 inch MacBook Air models. Maybe more important, the MacBook Air laptops are now $100 cheaper than the models they replace.

The starting price for the MacBook Air with 11 inch screen now is $899. The 13 inch model now starts at $999. The price reductions will help the MacBook Air models compete with similar laptops, often called "ultrabooks," which run Microsoft Windows.

The MacBook Air models are thinner and lighter than Apple's MacBook Pro machines. The Pro laptops have faster processors and, optionally, a "retina" high resolution display. The standard 11 inch Air model has a 1366x768 screen, the 13 inch model uses a 1440x900 screen.

The $1299 Pro with 13 inch "retina" screen has 2560x1600 pixels. It weighs 3.46 lb, while the Air models weigh 2.38 lb (11 inch screen) and 2.96 lb (13 inch screen).

robgendreau

Explorer
I'm sure they're nice; own a MBP myself. And the Airs are state of the art. But for camping a bit spendy (like that's a concern around here :wings: ). I got a 11" Acer i5 with touchscreen, but crappier battery life and drive, for $250 as a refurb. For just backup and some sorting of photos, and navigation applications (where Windows still has an edge over OS X, unfortunately.) it's the bomb. And it doesn't matter much if I thrash it. BTW, check out NewEgg's eBay store if you want ridonculously cheap kit; they have a boatload of refurb'ed notebooks and such, and even new stuff like an Olympus PEN E-PM2 with lens for $200 (that's a very good micro 4/3s mirrorless interchangeable lens camera with a decent kit zoom lens). Must have fallen offa truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier