Avenza Map Challenges

cumminscruiser

Adventurer
I've been able to download maps and using Avenza on my iPad and a GPS receiver map my path.

One challenge is getting the maps from the Avenza store. Example: I downloaded the Bodie USGS topo map from the store. An adjacent map is Aurora, but I can't find this map at their store. Is there another way to get these maps? Or am I missing something.

I'm new at this electronic mapping, it's cool and easier than carrying paper maps.

Backroad Explorer

Adventurer
cumminscruiser;
It's easy just go to the store look for the Topo section.
Open the see more section & go to Ca. Zoom to the Bodie area so you can see MONO Lake.

See all the little blue dots those are individual Topos for that area. Touch the blue dot and it will bring up that map.
You can also scroll the Maps in this area to look for the maps you want to download.

Hope This Helps.

Enjoy the Area it's a Great Place.

Brian

Last edited:

Ziv

Observer
Avenza is a great system. I've been using it on my 1st gen iPad since early last year and it fits my needs perfectly. Keep in mind there are many geo-coded pdf maps that will work with Avenza that are not in the Map Store.

The Oregon Dept of Transportation has pdf maps for every county in the state. Most of these are multi sheet maps so they offer a good deal of detail. Here is the site for Oregon - http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/TD/TDATA/Pages/gis/countymaps.aspx

I'm sure Cali has a similar site.

Ziv

Observer
Nice find, Rob. The quads for Riley, Burns and Harney are VERY good. Shaded relief, 100ft contours and a pretty fine level of detail.

Thanks
Ziv

robgendreau

Explorer
Welcome. I liked the ODOT ones as well. Seems it's so hit and miss between public agencies in getting online maps. Some charge, some don't. Some have pdfs, some don't. And some you just can't find. Frustrating. I wish there was a cheap application I could use to just geocode existing PDF maps into geo savvy PDFs. Avenza's tools are great, but really only for professional use. I've encountered a couple of websites that attempt to add geo info, but these usually require input in the form of jpeg or png, not PDF. Sigh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94