Ford Transit production begins

haven

Expedition Leader
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2014/04/ford-begins-transit-production-at-missouri-plant.html

Pickuptrucks.com has an article about the start of production for Ford's Transit full-size van. Initial target for one shift is 300 vehicles a day. By end of Summer, when the Transit will be officially available for sale, Ford hopes to have two shifts running, producing 800 vehicles daily. No AWD or 4x4 has been announced.

Ford expects around 50% of Transits will use the 3.7L V6, 35% will use the 3.5L Ecoboost V6, and only 15% will order the 3.2L five cylinder Powerstroke turbodiesel. I expect the demand for the Ecoboost and Powerstroke powerplants will rise as reviews are published.

Ford has not announced how the engines will be tuned for the Transit, but here are projected torque figures:
3.7L V6 280 ft lb at 4000 rpm
3.5L Ecoboost gas 420 ft lb at 2500 rpm
3.2L Powerstroke diesel about 350 ft lb at 2000 rpm

mtbikerTi

Observer
Ford's website will let you build and price the Transit now. There seem to be a few bugs but you can get a good idea of the options and how much they cost. At first glance it appears the diesel is only available on the 350 series chassis.

They have also released power figures as well as full specifications.

3.7L V6: 270 HP @6500, 250 ft-lb @4000
3.5L V6: 320 HP @5500, 400 ft-lb @2250
3.2L I5: 190 HP @3000, 346 ft-lb @1750-2750

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
Yesterday's American Pickers TV show on the History Channel, was an hour long product placement/commercial for the Transit and bashing their old Sprinter.

FWIW Sprinter bodies are rusting badly in the snow belt States.

FWIW2 received in mail today, a letter from Ford, requesting me to participate in an online survey about the Transit.
Survey would take 45 minutes, I didn't participate :)

Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
This is very exciting. With the Promaster and the Sprinter, we now have a lot more choices. I am seriously considering getting one of these vans in the near future.
I am just curious to see if the Sprinter 4x4 will really be available or not.

Looks like there is an option for factory dual batteries for the Transit.

r_w

Adventurer
I can't wait to see what the real world MPG will be.

I should be able to afford one about the time all the kids are grown and I don't need it anymore....

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I was disappointed with that episode.... I always feel like those placements are like calling me too stupid. Just like magazines that review a product and have a full page ad on the next page....

Yesterday's American Pickers TV show on the History Channel, was an hour long product placement/commercial for the Transit and bashing their old Sprinter.

FWIW Sprinter bodies are rusting badly in the snow belt States.

FWIW2 received in mail today, a letter from Ford, requesting me to participate in an online survey about the Transit.
Survey would take 45 minutes, I didn't participate :)

Accrete

Explorer
...I should be able to afford one about the time all the kids are grown and I don't need it anymore....

IMO, when the "Nest" is empty is a great time to have an adventure rig!
Ours has two seats, Her's and mine ;)
_TGL-AWD_11-2013.jpg

Wiley

Adventurer
I can't wait to see what the real world MPG will be

I know its a large van but I am disappointed with the mpg figures after they originally let estimates leak of 35 mpg, even if the Diesel does get up to 26 that is pretty far off, and the gas models wont even get 20?

thedjjack

Dream it build it
I know its a large van but I am disappointed with the mpg figures after they originally let estimates leak of 35 mpg, even if the Diesel does get up to 26 that is pretty far off, and the gas models wont even get 20?

my wide body 24 foot RV with G3500 6.2L diesel gets around 18mpg (1983 not much of an improvement 30+ years later).... but it is tops out around 65mph.... likes going 60mph

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles