2003 Tundra Timing Belt Replacement

PaintRock

Adventurer
I was quoted $900.00 to do the timing belt and everything else under the front cover for my 2003 Tundra. Does this sound reasonable? I'm at 109000 for mileage and want to get it done. The shop is pretty reputable.

Also, just a heads up, but they said (and I have heard this before) 2005 and 2006 Tundras are more expensive and labor intensive to do the timing belt. Beginning with 2007 and the next body style, they went back to a chain, at least for the 5.7.

seanpistol

Explorer
That's standard. I did mine for $250 in parts and it took about 6 hours. There is even a three part video on how to do it on youtube...

If you can turn a wrench and can read you can do it yourself.

PaintRock

Adventurer
Yeah, I've been looking into it. I think I could probably handle it if I had a decent garage to work on it. But, I'm in an apartment right now and I'm about to relocate to another state and another apartment, and need to get it done. It also seems a little tricky.

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
I was quoted $750 for the full job with water pump. Decided to do it myself.

I have an 05.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
I did the one on my 03 V6-just the belt, skipped the other stuff. Wouldn't have added much though. Gettibg the crank bolt out was the only hard part. Unless they're fresh, I'd throw in upper and lower rad hoses too, since they'll be out. If you're reading over the FSM, you can skip all the cam nonsense. As long as you take your time getting the belt back on and recheck your timing marks, you shouldn't have any problems.

PaintRock

Adventurer
Thanks for all of the replies. I would have liked to have done this myself, but I bit the bullet and had the shop do it. It was a big chunk of cash, but the bright side is it won't have to be done for 90,000 more miles and the shop said everything else is in great condition. It looks like I might have to keep it for another 12 years...

toyotech

Expedition Leader
2000-2006 is same price in labor and parts. The 05-06 has vvti but it doesn't make it any harder or uses different parts. I could do it for ~300 labor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PaintRock

Adventurer
My labor costs came to about $500.00. But, it's done, and everything under the front cover is new. I'll probably never sell this rig at this point. Depreciation has eaten it to the point it's worth keeping as a hunting / camping rig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles