Tacoma bed kit builds?

treadstone

Observer
Hello. I sold my Jeep 2 door unlimited last November, and decided to convert my 2000 Tacoma 4X4 work truck into my expo vehicle. I just picked up a snug top last week, and I am trying to put together some good ideas for a sleep-storage bed kit ideas. I have been searching threads, but I was hoping some of you could point me in the direction of some of the better bed kit builds you have seen. Thanks.

photo 4 (4).JPG

This is about 90% complete. Need to install anchors, drawer fronts, and finish the cubby hole lid. It is 71" long 40 1/2" wide, the top and bottom are 1/2" marine grade plywood along with the drawer bottoms, all the sides and drawer boxes are 3/4" poplar. Glued with marine grade glue, coated in a Sherwin Williams oil based primer and top coat (X3).

The slides are 5' full pull rated at 300 lbs (mobile application). Along the bottom left and right sides are 1/8" aluminum "L" channel and 1/8" flat stock on the bottom. This is to keep the whole box off the truck bed and away from moisture.

You can see where the fridge sits and the stove forward of that with storage under the stove and forward of the stove. The right side is one giant drawer for recovery gear.

In a few week once everything is mounted up, powered up and gassed I will be doing a build thread in the storage section of Expo.

Mike

treadstone

Observer
That is quite impressive with the aluminum trim. I had the same idea with the 3/4" plywood, and cutting it out like a truss. then smoothing all the edges like you did. I am a carpenter.:beer:

9uhy5uhe.jpg

Posted that before but since you asked. One sheet of 3/4" plywood and a couple of 1x10's. designed around Tupperware bins I found at Walmart. Three bins fit perfectly in each of the two slots. Made it 3/4's width so I could pack taller gear to the drivers side. Worked pretty good and was easy to construct.

If I had kept the ext cab with shell I would have upgraded to draws with slides.

treadstone

Observer
Sweet. I was hoping to cut the weight of the sleep platform itself by 1/3 using that technique. Water storage is my problem right now. I am looking to build by sleep platform just above the wheel well height. I had been using a "Reliance" 5 gallon storage tank with a bottom gravity fed spigot. It worked very well for me In my Jeep LJ kit. However it is 11 5/8" tall. I need a similar tank that is say 8" tall max. I am open to ideas on this?

YotaPilot

Adventurer
Here is mine. Two drawers and a cubbie space with a flip up door on the left. My fridge goes on the metal slide on the right. Towards the cab is a metal bed box that holds my aux battery, fuse block, compressor, and other tools and recovery gear.
image.jpg

Last edited:

treadstone

Observer
How ironic! I was looking at using that particular Reliance jug, and laying it down on it's side so that it fit below my sleep platform. I don't have a duel battery power system on my Tacoma, but it looks like it will be a necessity to have for a compressor/fridge anyways. Thanks for this gem of an idea Washington Taco! My wifes family lives in WA. We go up there at least once a year…..I am jealous of your expo area!:safari-rig:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles