Any modified Ford Expeditions out there?

Ryan Matthes

Adventurer and Explorer
I have a Jeep LJ that I mainly use for my trips and overlanding - I also have a 2013 Ford Expedition that I use for road trips and family hauling. I am starting to combine the two as my wife and 2 year old want to go on some overlanding trips. Looking to see if anyone out there has modified a Ford Expedition at all? I am looking to install a leveling kit and some good ATs this summer - getting ready for an early Fall trip out through West Texas to White Sands, NM and then north up through ABQ and onto the 4 Corners area. Want to get off the pavement as much as possible, so need some additional capability for the rig.

Thanks in advance
Ryan

Static54

I own a 2013 limited and am in search of similar things. I haven't done any over landing with it but am researching some future over landing.
My only "modifications" for this topic would be my yakima cargo box. My wife and I have an almost 1 year old so there hasn't been much camping going on.
I primarily have been researched "expedition trailers", basically a small off-road trailer that I can top with a roof top tent and can haul all our gear.
Where abouts are you located?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Do they make a lift for the IRS Expedition?

Older solid-axle Expeditions are dirt cheap on CL. I assume the "workings" are more or less identical to an F-series truck?

I always thought an Expedition would make a great platform for a full sized build. Surprised I don't see more of them in the back country.

RoyJ

Adventurer
The late gen Expedition is an excellent truck with one helluva tough chassis, and relatively high carrying capacity. The rear suspension has 10" of travel making for excellent ride and traction.

I think as long as you're using it for "expedition" style explorations (that's two Ford models in one sentence...) it'll prove to be an excellent truck. Push it to do "trail" style off roading, and you won't be happy. The Ford IFS/IRS SUVs (Expy and Explorer) have really thick anti-roll bars with no quick disconnect kit available. Good road manners for big trucks, but ZERO articulation.

You can actually lift the IRS quite a bit, but it's hard on the other stuff, like CV joints, tie rod, and ball joints. I'd recommend against a spacer puck lift, and instead get a Rancho quicklift. Not as much lift, but better suspension travel.

Ryan Matthes

Adventurer and Explorer
I own a 2013 limited and am in search of similar things. I haven't done any over landing with it but am researching some future over landing.
My only "modifications" for this topic would be my yakima cargo box. My wife and I have an almost 1 year old so there hasn't been much camping going on.
I primarily have been researched "expedition trailers", basically a small off-road trailer that I can top with a roof top tent and can haul all our gear.
Where abouts are you located?

We should sync up (another Ford pun to keep the streak alive in the posts) and compare notes. I am on Keller, you?

I have found a bit on the web for it, main focus (there's another) I have found it a leveling kit for the front. My main interest isn't to get this trail worthy per say (I have a Jeep LJ for that) but get a little bigger all terrain tire under this thing. The 20 inch wheels look great, but the thin sidewall isn't a preference in the dirt. I have a second winch on a cradle for the back of my Jeep, so I am ordering a front receiver for the Expedition. I also have a portable dual battery set up, so running cables and Anderson plug to the back if the Exp for that, and fridge will plug in there. I built a roof platform that can mount on the jeep rack or on the Thule bars on the Exp. Awning attaches to that. Getting a RTT this fall, and am going to build a trailer as my fall project, will be able tow that behind either vehicle.

Just writing all of that makes me realize I need to get some pics of the setup so far. Have been in full Jeep mode past few weeks getting ready for K-Trail trip in 2 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Static54

Definitely post some pics of the jeep. RTT is a great starting point. That's primarily what led me here to the site.
Where is Keller? I'll chime in more later

Static54

Gotchya. My company is out of DFW I travel all over for work so am not there often. I have a few friends that live in Dallas/ Arlington/ Austin.
What type of RTT are you looking for?
What type of features for the trailer?
After researching trailers seems like there's such a broad range of things to incorporate. Kitchens, hot water heater, speakers, lights.
I mainly would like something to hold gear and the RTT that's packed and ready to go when needed.
Also if I were to do the trailer I like everything integrated and easy to use (quick deployment)

frig84

Observer
Sorry not sure if this helps but, the last gen Expeditions with a solid rear axle had four link trailing arms in the rear. The front suspension is identical to an F150. Later year models still used identical front suspension setups to similar year model F150's

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Ryan Matthes

Adventurer and Explorer
Gotchya. My company is out of DFW I travel all over for work so am not there often. I have a few friends that live in Dallas/ Arlington/ Austin.
What type of RTT are you looking for?
What type of features for the trailer?
After researching trailers seems like there's such a broad range of things to incorporate. Kitchens, hot water heater, speakers, lights.
I mainly would like something to hold gear and the RTT that's packed and ready to go when needed.
Also if I were to do the trailer I like everything integrated and easy to use (quick deployment)

For the RTT I am leaning towards the Tepui Ruggedized XL. Big enough for three of us (wife, me, and kiddo).

As for a trailer, my plan is to initially go with a steel frame and box with a rack for the RTT and plenty of storage space. I have a plan to the build a tear drop "insert" that I would be able to drop in or remove - depending on the trip and attendees. The tear drop would have a little more amenity and ease for longer journeys so that we don't have to break camp each night we stop. Going to start the trailer in September. Plan to finish the main trailer quickly and then the tear drop insert over the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles