Trooper vs 4runner for a budget minded build? whats your thoughts?

shellb

Adventurer
One more vote for the Trooper (this is coming from a guy that has owned 6 toyota 4x4s in the past 5 years). I bought a really clean manual 96 with a ~115k for 3 grand and it has been awesome. I was mostly looking for a winter and dog "beater", but I like driving it so much it has become my DD.

I really have no complaints, it has done everything any of my Toyotas could have done but at a fraction of the cost...hard to beat cheap, reliable, fun!

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
No, I get 15-16 mpg at 75 mph, with 35s and a 4" lift. SOHC 5-speed like yours.

A 94 is OBD I, you can jumper pins 1 and 3 on the 3-pin connector under the center console on the hump and read the flashes on the CE light to get the codes.

Freebird

Adventurer
I owned a second generation trooper. Not a bad rig, but the lube for the transfer case is shared with the standard trans, so when the trans blew up, the crap went into the transfer case and trashed it, too. I wasn't too happy.
Bought a rebuilt "unit" (that is how they are made and sold) from a rebuilder in Portland, OR with a good reputation, and that trans was very short lived. Rig was never abused, regular maintenance/fluid changes, and only had a bit over a 100K when the trans blew the first time.
FWIW - YMMV

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I owned a second generation trooper. Not a bad rig, but the lube for the transfer case is shared with the standard trans, so when the trans blew up, the crap went into the transfer case and trashed it, too.
No, they are separate reservoirs, unless the seal between is blown. The MUA5 is a very robust gear-driven tranny and transfer case; I have heard very few reports of them dying.

Possibly your problem was in using gear "lube" instead of motor oil as required. Wouldn't be the first time somebody made that mistake.

Freebird

Adventurer
Well, it was serviced regularly at the dealership in Spokane that I bought it from. The transmission trashed itself at Ritzville while freeway driving. I didn't pay to have it towed to the dealer in Spokane, had a local shop remove and replace with the rebuilt one out of Portland. The mechanic is the one that said the trashing in the trans before it blew was what trashed the transfer case by way of common lubrication. I assumed he knew the score. My mistake? I'm not a gearhead ( obviously).

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Hard to say at this point, but the fact you lost TWO very simple and reliable transmissions under your mechanics care suggests that he was using gear oil instead of motor oil. The bearings will not last with gear oil in there.

As I mentioned, it isn't all that uncommon a mistake, as many common units do use gear oil.

Freebird

Adventurer
Water long under the bridge now, but on the second trans I was having it serviced at the local 4 wheeler place that changed the trans/transfer case.
You mean there are people out there that don't know what they are doing at work? Ha!

casioqv

Dr. Diesel
I've had several Troopers and Monteros over the last 25 years and they all were great. Most got around 18-20 mpg on the highway, 15 or less in city traffic and that was ok for me.

My diesel first gen Trooper gets 30mpg, but pays for it by not having the power to go over 70mph.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Yeah, anywhere there is road salt, first gen Troopers are rare now. The 2nd gens are MUCH more resistant to body rot.

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
Yup, just took my '91 out for a nice 4 day camping trip. With the new OME shocks and HD springs, she did very well with the heavy load of gear we were packing. And the ARB air lockers kicked ********!

126.jpg

127.jpg

128.jpg

129.jpg

130.jpg

131.jpg

132.jpg

133.jpg

Troopers ******!

Bart

Forum statistics

Threads