Trooper vs 4runner for a budget minded build? whats your thoughts?

jalopyjordan

Hello all! My name is Jordan and I am pretty new here and been lurking in the shadows for quite some time. I was hoping some of you folks could give me some opinions on helping me choose a rig to do a budget build into a capable expo style rig. The two main vehicles I am looking into are the first and second generation Trooper, or the first and second generation 4runner. I have also given consideration to an older Montero as well. Not in any rush to pick something up but I am probably going to start looking for something this fall . My plans for use are to be daily driven in the winter months of Wisconsin, and be able to take on extended camping trips, take on moderate trails, and back country exploring. Whatever I decide to buy, I plan on flying to the southern California area (as I know the area well) and buying something out there that is rust free, and can be driven back to my home state of Wisconsin. What are your guys thoughts?

SRN

Adventurer
Personally, a 2nd Gen. Trooper would be your best bet out of those options. Get a 92-97 with the 3.2L and a manual. Stout trucks, very capable and cheap out of the box. The 4Runner has more aftermarket support, but it will be more expensive out of the gate and they are significantly smaller than a Trooper.

jalopyjordan

Personally, a 2nd Gen. Trooper would be your best bet out of those options. Get a 92-97 with the 3.2L and a manual. Stout trucks, very capable and cheap out of the box. The 4Runner has more aftermarket support, but it will be more expensive out of the gate and they are significantly smaller than a Trooper.

Thats what I am leaning towards. Especially the manual tranny since the 4L30e seems to be a little anemic when pushed a bit beyond street driving. I do like that they are a bit bigger of a rig too so I could have plenty of room to stow gear in the back and still drag a few friends or family along.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I am biased, but the Montero is hard to beat for the price they go for (under $3k typically). The Trooper has better suspension flex in stock configuration, but have vulnerable transmissions from what I found in my research. Pretty active Montero community here on ExPo and also 4x4wire. The Monty fits 33" tires without a lift, sliders are under $200, and all the maintenance issues are well sorted out and posted in numerous places, and they hold more than the 4Runner, and have a much better seating position and excellent off road visibility and sightlines. Many came with a rear locker, and ARB sells front and rear lockers and lifts for them. By salvaging parts from a Montero Sport, you can upgrade the diff gearing to 4.88 and spin 35" tires no problem.

Afton-Canyon-20140104_24-X3.jpg

jalopyjordan

Sharp looking Montero Nwoods! From what I have read and heard it does seem the slushomatic used in the Montero seems pretty stout as well.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I drove my Trooper back from Texas, it is worth it every time I have to turn a bolt on it.

The difference in purchase price between a Trooper and 4Runner will buy you lots of goodies, and as stated above, the Trooper is huge inside by comparison. And a Trooper only needs a few relatively inexpensive items to make them a stout off-roader, they are quite sturdy out of the box. Getting ready to drive mine to Moab in a week! :)

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Hello all! My name is Jordan and I am pretty new here and been lurking in the shadows for quite some time. I was hoping some of you folks could give me some opinions on helping me choose a rig to do a budget build into a capable expo style rig. The two main vehicles I am looking into are the first and second generation Trooper, or the first and second generation 4runner. I have also given consideration to an older Montero as well. Not in any rush to pick something up but I am probably going to start looking for something this fall . My plans for use are to be daily driven in the winter months of Wisconsin, and be able to take on extended camping trips, take on moderate trails, and back country exploring. Whatever I decide to buy, I plan on flying to the southern California area (as I know the area well) and buying something out there that is rust free, and can be driven back to my home state of Wisconsin. What are your guys thoughts?

Couple questions:

-How many people do you need (not want) to carry?
-What is your purchase and mod budget?
-Do you plan to do more than snow-covered highways and fire roads with a few rocks in them, etc?
-Do you want a 5 speed or an auto?

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
I lean towards Troopers as well. A gen 2 with a 5-speed is a great combo, and a very stout platform. I personally have a thing for the old school gen 1s, however they lack some of the power and creature comforts you will find in a gen 2. If you don't mind driving an underpowered tin box, gen 1s are great as well, but parts and support are drying up to some extent. The one thing I love about the Troopers, as mentioned above, is the amount of cargo space you have inside, while still maintaining a relatively small profile for an expo rig, compared to many other common vehicles used for this purpose. And, as stated, the price of old Troopers is very appealing. For some reason, older Toyotas have SOARED in price. I think Isuzus will get there at some point too, but right now is a good time to search and find a really nice, really clean Trooper. If you are patient, have the cash ready, and are willing to travel to get the right vehicle, you can find a very, very nice one given a little time. Here's my 91 that I am building up:

063.jpg

Good luck with your search, and if you get a Trooper, be sure to sign up on PlanetIsuzoo.com

Bart

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
Troopers are definitely hard to find east of the big river. Out west though, there are tons for sale all the time. Now, finding a good one that isn't totally thrashed and neglected, will take some time, patience, and money ready to go.

Bart

Clutch

<---Pass
Buddy of mine just sold this one for $2500.

9.5 out of 10 interior. 8 out of 10 mechanical

174K miles, all service records.

10303733_10201902400189870_6433572999372187012_n.jpg

As always I recommend you get out and test drive as many vehicles as possible. I would set a budget and test drive all the vehicles in that price range. I would recommend you also test drive Montero's, Pathfinders, Cherokees, Discos, etc. Offroad vehicles come in all shapes and sizes. Personally, if I was looking for an "expedition vehicle" I would look at getting a 2003-06 Montero because they ride like a dream. Yeah they have independent suspension but so do the H1, Landcruiser and LR4. The gen 3 Montero is a great ride. If you are looking for a Rock Buggy then get a Jeep.

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
Yeah, I've never really understood the whole IFS argument against Troopers (and other IFS 4x4s). Like you said, if you want a rock buggy, buy a Jeep or a Toy with a solid axle. Otherwise, IFS is great for on hwy comfort and you can still offroad a plenty with a good IFS vehicle. I've never had any issues with IFS, even in Moab and places like that where the IFS was pushed to it's fullest.

Bart

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles