Trip Video: The Maze District of Canyonlands National Park

sixstringsteve

Explorer
Wait.

Don't read this trip report yet.

Just like any trip to the maze, this TR requires a fair amount of time to soak it all in. Find a time when you have 10-15 minutes and come back to enjoy this trip report then. It'll be worth it.

My stories are better told through video via my pathetic writing skills (or lack thereof). Enjoy in 1080p HD.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Explorer
Vehicle/trail info:
The trail as a whole wasn't very technical, but the area at teapot canyon requires careful navigation and a good eye.

The 2014 taco was bone stock with less than 1000 miles on it. :) He's a very experienced driver, but the trail ended up ripping off one or two of his mud flaps, and he dragged the frame a couple times. Other than that it was uneventful.

White 2002 taco had an AAL and bilsteins and 31's.

Grey Tundra has a 2" leveling kit and 33s

White 2002 taco has a 2" OME lift and 35s. None of us needed our lockers, and we were only in 4-lo for about an hour. If you're ever looking for an adventure in Utah, this is a fantastic one. Get your backcountry permits/reservations online and head down.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Explorer
The 2014 taco was bone stock with less than 1000 miles on it. :) He's a very experienced driver. The trail wasn't too tough at all, but the area at teapot canyon requires careful navigation. The trail ended up ripping off one or two of his mud flaps, and he dragged the frame a couple times, but other than that it was uneventful.

White 2002 taco had an AAL and bilsteins and 31's.

Grey Tundra has a 2" leveling kit and 33s

White 2002 taco has a 2" OME lift and 35s. None of us needed our lockers, and we were only in 4-lo for about an hour. If you're ever looking for an adventure in Utah, this is a fantastic one. Get your backcountry permits/reservations online and head down to enjoy some of Utah's most remote, fantastic scenery. To really enjoy the area, I highly recommend the hike down into pictograph fork.

I had heard that the Maze district of Canyonlands was one of the best secrets the state of Utah had to offer. I had always wanted to head in here, but I heard it was a long trip and for some reason, I kept putting it off. Well, the time had come, and I wanted to explore it. We scheduled a few days off work and headed down with our friends Fat Tony, Hardcastle, and others.

As with most good southern trips, we started off headed for Price to top off the tanks at Chevron.

IMG_1150.jpg

IMG_1151.JPG

It was a late night so we headed straight for our favorite area outside Goblin Valley to camp. The next morning greeted us with a beautiful sunrise.

IMG_1174.jpg

IMG_1177.jpg

IMG_1180.jpg

IMG_1158.JPG

IMG_1160.jpg

IMG_1183.JPG

Our friend Yvonne met up with us and we explored the dirt slot canyons in the area before heading out.

IMG_1190.JPG

IMG_1196.JPG

We headed down to Hanksville to gas up and meet up with our new friend Jared and his family. We grabbed a lunch to go from blondies and headed out to Poison Springs Road.

Poison Springs Road had some incredible scenery.

IMG_1200.JPG

IMG_1201.JPG

After an hour or so we came to the Dirty Devil River. It was nice and deep, but not too deep for the stock tacos.

i-99PJG7X-X2.jpg

IMG_1206.JPG

IMG_1207.jpg

i-VwhSvRZ-X2.jpg

Before long we found ourselves at Teapot Canyon, the most technical 4x4 part of the trail. That being said, it wasn't super technical. A stock high-clearance 4x4 with low-range would be just fine with some patience and attention to the trail. I wouldn't want to take a subaru through here.

IMG_1215.jpg

i-dxZmqmn-X2.jpg

i-BDH5mRs-X2.jpg

i-DCg4Fst-X2.jpg

i-wDRfBzw-X2.jpg

i-xd9fb2f-X2.jpg

IMG_1222.JPG

i-V7ZVrBX-X2.jpg

sixstringsteve

Explorer
Pretty soon we entered the NP boundary and entered the land of Standing Rocks.

i-2gQmCKR-X2.jpg

i-hh8MnK5-X2.jpg

IMG_1243.JPG

Then it was just another 45 min or so to our evening camping destination: the Doll House.

IMG_1248.jpg

IMG_1254.jpg

We were exhausted after a full day of driving, and we quickly hit the sack after some songs around a stove since campfires aren't allowed.

The next morning took a while for the sun to reach us over the Doll House pinnacles. It was a beautiful day with fantastic weather.

IMG_1255.JPG

We split into two groups. Hardcastle and Jared wanted to explore Pictograph Fork and the Harvest Scene panel, but they didn't want to backpack and spend the night down in there. So they headed straight for the hiking trail and headed down.

The rest of us decided to explore the dollhouse right away, and start Pictograph Fork later in the afternoon. Doll house has some really cool and fun places to explore.

IMG_1258.JPG

Surprise Canyon, with the needles district in the distance.

IMG_1267.JPG

The Dollhouse Granaries. Pretty unique, I've never seen granaries similar to these before.

i-JbDvMJt-X2.jpg

i-WFBr9zv-X2.jpg

Spanish Bottom. You can take a jetboat ride to here, then access the Maze and Doll House from the river.

IMG_1272.JPG

Then back to the dollhouse to get the cars and head over to the Plug to start our backpacking portion of the trip.

IMG_1274.JPG

We drove to the Land of Standing Rocks, and started getting ready for our backpacking trip into Horse Canyon.

i-9kJP2XG-X2.jpg

i-6Tmn29K-X3.jpg

IMG_1275.JPG

The girls outnumbered the boys. Pretty cool, as this doesn't happen too much on backcountry trips, especially where backpacking is involved.

IMG_1276.JPG

IMG_1279.JPG

IMG_1282.JPG

IMG_1283.JPG

We were really surprised with how much water the canyon had. Don't expect there to be water there, this is a really rare thing.

IMG_1286.JPG

The canyon walls towered above us as we worked our way to our campsite below the Maze Overlook.

IMG_1290.jpg

Normally I'm not a fan of slogging through the sand, but for the most part, it was moist enough to not be too bad.

IMG_1291.JPG

IMG_1295.JPG

sixstringsteve

Explorer
The area had some pretty unique art panels.

IMG_1296.JPG

IMG_1297.JPG

IMG_1298.JPG

dachshund?

IMG_1299.JPG

And finally we arrived at the Harvest Scene. At this point I was far more focused on taking video than impressive photos, so you'll have to bear with my impatient pictures. Check out Yvonne's page for some incredible shots of these panels.

IMG_1301.JPG

IMG_1303.JPG

We continued on towards our destination.

IMG_1307.JPG

IMG_1306.JPG

The chocolate drops off in the distance.

IMG_1308.JPG

The conglomerate left behind by flash floods was very cool to see.

IMG_1309.JPG

We were getting closer to the chocolate drops.

IMG_1310.JPG

Nothing beats a warm, sandy riverbed to camp on.

IMG_1312.JPG

We ran out of daylight to safely hike the Maze Overlook, so we settled down for the night.

IMG_1313.JPG

IMG_1314.JPG

IMG_1332.JPG

IMG_1345.JPG

Orion was shining down on us from above.

IMG_1322.JPG

So was Caseopia.

IMG_1353.JPG

sixstringsteve

Explorer
We woke up well-rested, filtered some water from a nearby spring, and picked up all our stuff to leave no trace.

IMG_1356.JPG

Can you see the rock art here? Neither could we until we got closer.

IMG_1357.JPG

Another view of the chocolate drops.

IMG_1358.JPG

The hike up was awesome. It was a lot like climbing stairs for an hour, only it wasn't as exhausting. The blend of man-made features and the natural environment was cool to see.

IMG_1364.JPG

You can barely make out the chocolate drops in the background.

IMG_1366.JPG

Once out of the canyon, the scenery was fantastic.

IMG_1371.JPG

IMG_1373.JPG

From there we headed back through teapot canyon over to China Neck and the Maze Overlook.

IMG_1380.JPG

IMG_1386.JPG

IMG_1388.JPG

China Neck was cool to see.

IMG_1391.JPG

IMG_1392.JPG

Looking down on Mother and Child rock formation with the La Sals in the far distance.

IMG_1394.JPG

This is the road we took on the way to teapot canyon.

IMG_1395.JPG

IMG_1398.JPG

We decided to camp at china neck. We set up our tents then headed down to check out the maze overlook as the sun was setting.

At the Maze Overlook. Here you can see the Chololate Drops, Land of Standing Rocks, the Dollhouse in the distance, and our camp spot from the night before.

IMG_1408.JPG

We were SOOOO close to the maze overlook the night before. Too bad we didn't have time to hike up it that day.

We dared each other to jump across the 200' gap to the rock formation across. I chickened out, but Yvonne, Fat Tony, and Hardcastle made it.

IMG_1405.JPG

Headed back to our camp, the moon decided to make an appearance.

IMG_1412.JPG

We were trying to decide if we wanted to sleep under the stars again that night, but after finding this 10 feet from our tents, we decided to stay in the tents.

IMG_1418.jpg

The sunrise the next morning really lit up the adjacent cliffs to the west.

IMG_1443.JPG

Then it was up the switchbacks to the Hans Flat Ranger station, and out via Robber's Roost.

IMG_1455.JPG

IMG_1456.JPG

IMG_1460.JPG

What an incredible trip it was. It was a LONG haul to get back in there, and next time I plan on taking the jetboat and doing more backpacking. To be honest, I wasn't impressed with the Maze the first two days, but once we started our backpacking portion, I absolutely fell in love. I will definitely be backpacking this area a lot more in the future.

Burnsy949

What a great trip, video and pictures! Thanks for posting. Do you think a Jeep towing an Adventure trailer would do ok on the switchbacks of the more technical roads you did on this trip?

Woodsman

Adventurer
Great trip. Have been into the Maze three times now and it is always interesting to see how others experience it.

FromRaleigh

Adventurer
I really appreciate how well you document your trips, I'm stuck in the city and its my favorite way to escape during my lunch breaks in the middle of the day.

Sent using Tapatalk

sixstringsteve

Explorer
What a great trip, video and pictures! Thanks for posting. Do you think a Jeep towing an Adventure trailer would do ok on the switchbacks of the more technical roads you did on this trip?

Depends on which model jeep and if you're a cautious driver or not. If you're a cautious driver, you should be fine. The switchbacks may give you some trouble, we had to do 3-point turns on quite a few of them. That would be tricky with a trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles