Trooper lift and tires, first impressions

kevin

Observer
I have returned from my first outing with the new suspension and tires on the Trooper. I was very impressed with both. The terrain I encountered was packed dirt, loose dirt, loose gravel and rocks, all in dry conditions. The trooper feels like a new truck, even with a gain in overall height the vehicle is noticably more stable and responsive. Traction is much improved over the stock tires.
Suspension:
Front: OME N65 shocks, ball joint flip, low profile bump stop energy
suspension 9-9132R, torsion bar adjust, aisin manual hubs.

Rear: OME 912 springs, OME N15 shocks,

Tires: Cooper Discoverer ST 265/75 r16 on stock 16x7 wheels

Attachments

• trooper 3.JPG
    trooper 3.JPG
    234.2 KB · Views: 492
Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
kevin said:
I have returned from my first outing with the new suspension and tires on the Trooper. I was very impressed with both. The terrain I encountered was packed dirt, loose dirt, loose gravel and rocks, all in dry conditions. The trooper feels like a new truck, even with a gain in overall height the vehicle is noticably more stable and responsive. Traction is much improved over the stock tires.
Suspension:
Front: OME N65 shocks, ball joint flip, low profile bump stop energy
suspension 9-9132R, torsion bar adjust, aisin manual hubs.

Rear: OME 912 springs, OME N15 shocks,

Tires: Cooper Discoverer ST 265/75 r16 on stock 16x7 wheels

Awesome Kevin!

I only drove my Trooper off-highway once before upgrading the suspension. The pitch and sway was awful. After the new shocks and springs, the truck handled better on and off-road, even though it was 1.5" taller.

I cant wait to see more pictures of your truck in action!

bluerunner

Adventurer
Kevin,

Your truck is lookin sexy!

What other mods do you have planned? I took look forward to seeing your progress! :coffee:

Attachments

• M416 first day at home.jpg
    M416 first day at home.jpg
    434 KB · Views: 8

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Kevin, looking good. Soon my Trooper will be in that realm as well. :victory: Hopefully shortly after that it will be in the Scotty Trooper realm :bowdown:

Zaphod

Adventurer
Hi, everyone! First post here!

Anyway, I'm having a DEVIL of a time deciding what size tires and lift to get for my 2000 Trooper LS. I'm thinking of getting this lift kit, and installing it without the spacers. IIRC, that will give me two inches in the back, and then I'd crank the t-bars to even the old gal out.

Now, I notice that Brother Kevin here has a 2" lift, as do the folks over at Expeditions West. OTOH, I've seen a few pics of Troops with 3" lifts. Decisions, decisions....

This truck is not only my fun rig (or will be, when I'm done), but also my DD, so I need to lift it without making it look like some monster truck wanna-be. The options are 3" with 285/75/16 (which leaves the rocker panels at 19" off the deck), or a 2" lift with XXX/70 or XXX/75 tires. I like Kevin's rig, too.

Sigh. Anyone have a side-by side comparison of different setups? :(

Any recommendations?

Intended useage: Off-road use up to 3.5-rated trails (I'm a newbie, so I'll set that as my limit for now), mostly dry conditions. I'm looking at BFG AT KO in the appropriate size on stock LS rims (I'll need an extra for the spare).

Future upgrades: ARB bull bar (white), Shrockbars, roof rack, driving lights on bumper, driving lights on rack, rear light on rack, deep-cell battery with backup, extra power ports, air compressor and tank (for tires), CB radio, GPS.

Oh, and a place to mount some artillery! :D

Thanks!

Scott Brady

Founder
My recommendation would be to get the OME kit (912) and firm shocks. This will give you about 1.5" lift, and allow the fitment of 285/75's.

The Trooper has good clearance from the factory, so installing the small lift and bigger tires will make it perfect for the 3.0-3.5 trails.

You have a great truck! Mine has been a faithful companion for 6 years and 90,000+ miles.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    589.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    622.1 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC02511.jpg
    DSC02511.jpg
    557.9 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC02512.jpg
    DSC02512.jpg
    588.4 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC02513.jpg
    DSC02513.jpg
    560.4 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC02493.jpg
    DSC02493.jpg
    530.3 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC02496.jpg
    DSC02496.jpg
    453.9 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC02497.jpg
    DSC02497.jpg
    516.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    641.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    533.6 KB · Views: 2

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Zaphod, Welcome over from the Isuzu Trooper board. I am going with 265/75/16 tires on my 98 and am planning on the OME 2" lift. I think Scott was saying something about the taller tires and gearing issues with Troopers, but I am not looking for that much lift as my Trooper is alos my DD. Good luck with your mods and post pics when you can.

P.S. I am excited, the CFO has cleared the funds to aquire the new shoes within the next two weeks. I should be re-shod for the rally!!!! :shakin: :victory:

I will post pics when they are in place. If anything, they will give me almost another inch of clearance with the worn out stock suspension. :jumping:

kevin

Observer
I looked at thoes lift kits myself. Here is my opinion, you don't need the coil spacer, the tires will fit without it. If you do install the spacer you have to crank the torsion bar further to level the front with the rear, wich in my opinion creates too much preload on the torsion bar resulting in a harsh ride. Also the further you crank the torsion bar, the less downward suspension travell you have, if you go too far it will create unsafe suspension characteristics. If you don't crank the torsion bar too much you don't need thoes ball joint spacers, a simple ball joint flip will do. The adjustable ranchos are neat but you will find that you will rarely climb under the vehicle at all four corners to adjust the knobs, so your ride will always be too hard or soft depending on where you set them. Further, the cost of that kit is more than buying the individual OME components. I have used my OME set up extensively off and on road and am very happy with it. In short, go with the OME, use the money you save for other modifications.

Regards,
Kevin

Zaphod

Adventurer
kevin said:
Further, the cost of that kit is more than buying the individual OME components. I have used my OME set up extensively off and on road and am very happy with it. In short, go with the OME, use the money you save for other modifications.

Regards,
Kevin

Wow. Hold on a minute.

Are you talking about buying directly from OME?

I don't plan on installing the coil spacers because those are provided for if you want to go up to 3 inches. I think I'll settle at 2.

Attachments

• IMG_2329.jpg
    IMG_2329.jpg
    538.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2328.jpg
    IMG_2328.jpg
    582.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2330.jpg
    IMG_2330.jpg
    612.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2331.jpg
    IMG_2331.jpg
    537 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2336.jpg
    IMG_2336.jpg
    556.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2337.jpg
    IMG_2337.jpg
    524.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2343.jpg
    IMG_2343.jpg
    597.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2344.jpg
    IMG_2344.jpg
    539.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2326.jpg
    IMG_2326.jpg
    596.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2327.jpg
    IMG_2327.jpg
    597.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2338.jpg
    IMG_2338.jpg
    599.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2339.jpg
    IMG_2339.jpg
    588.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2340.jpg
    IMG_2340.jpg
    580.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 13150744_179961172399263_1874510064_n.jpg
    13150744_179961172399263_1874510064_n.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 1

Zaphod

Adventurer
datrupr said:
Zaphod, Welcome over from the Isuzu Trooper board.

Thanks! Are we talking about the Trooper Oasis board? (You know, the one where I'm a clueless administrator? :smilies27

I am going with 265/75/16 tires on my 98 and am planning on the OME 2" lift. I think Scott was saying something about the taller tires and gearing issues with Troopers, but I am not looking for that much lift as my Trooper is alos my DD. Good luck with your mods and post pics when you can.

That works out to a 32-inch tire. With a 2" lift, that sounds a lot more like what I'm shooting for. The more I think of a 19-inch step to get into the truck, the more I worry about a 3" lift with 285/75's.

Now, what about 285/70's? Is the additional width of any particular benefit?

P.S. I am excited, the CFO has cleared the funds ...

I fired mine a while back, so now I get to choose my toys on my own! :jump:

BTW, if anyone could recommend a good source for these parts, I'd appreciate it. :ylsmoke:

Last edited:

Zaphod

Adventurer
Holy smokes! That's a BIG $$$ difference!

ETA: Uh..... Where are their OME products? :confused:

Last edited:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Zaphod, That is the board I am talking about. Again, welcome! Here is a great piece about tire size and selection, basically stating that depending on use, narrow tires are better. Check it out, it is from Scott's web sit and is very insightful. You will also learn that Scott is excellent at doing research.
:clapsmile

Also, Scott, you had me fooled a for a minute today on your site in the for sale section. I almost got excited when I saw that bull bar there for the Trooper. I was about ready to wheel and deal for that. :(

Scott Brady

Founder
I have driven my Trooper for so long now, that I have used five different tire sizes.

245/75- Stock and too small for any technical terrain
265/75- Great tire size (picture). Works well with the gearing and still provides good clearance.
285/75- These are big tires for the Trooper, but they perform excellent in technical terrain. You will notice the power loss on the highway. (picture)
235/85- These are my current tires. They provide good clearance (like a 31" tire), but allow for great economy on the highway. I also got a great deal on them in near new condition. (Picture)

Of all of the tires though, I think the 265/75 with the OME system is the best choice.

You can get the Old Man Emu (OME) from Nathan at Pangaea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94