Trooper lift and tires, first impressions

Zaphod

Adventurer
datrupr said:
Zaphod, That is the board I am talking about. Again, welcome!

Cool! Thanks! :)

Here is a great piece about tire size and selection, basically stating that depending on use, narrow tires are better. Check it out, it is from Scott's web sit and is very insightful. You will also learn that Scott is excellent at doing research.

Woo-Hoo! Hadn't seen that page yet! That'll be a great read while I'm bored in the office today! :p

expeditionswest said:
Of all of the tires though, I think the 265/75 with the OME system is the best choice.

Well, you've forgotten more about this stuff than I know, so I'll take that advice. I was leaning toward that, but it's good to hear it from you.

Concerning your current tires, aren't those kinda thin? Granted, I haven't read your link above, yet, so the answer may be there, but I'd think thinner tires would be problematic (but what do I know)? :(

You can get the Old Man Emu (OME) from Nathan at Pangaea.

Outstanding. Thanks! Are their prices good? (Gotta start putting together the wishlist...)

Scott Brady

Founder
Zaphod said:
Cool! Thanks! :)
Concerning your current tires, aren't those kinda thin? Granted, I haven't read your link above, yet, so the answer may be there, but I'd think thinner tires would be problematic (but what do I know)? :(

They are biased to road use (even the tread is). My trooper is our daily driver now, so many of the goodies are off of it. The important thing to remember about tires for off-highway travel is to go as tall as possible with the minimum lift (none of my vehicles have more than a 2" lift; even the Jeep). In order to accomplish that, it is important to keep the tires relatively narrow to prevent rubbing.

Zaphod said:
Outstanding. Thanks! Are their prices good? (Gotta start putting together the wishlist...)

Pangaea has great prices, and even better service. They help support the forum too :)

jackerwho?

new

G'day mate,

Im from Australia and just joined the forum, hope to chat to all of you soon. I have a holden jackeroo (isuzu trooper). I am hoping to do some more mods to it too. I already put a lift kit on it and would like to do more. I want to fit 33" tyres on it now but I dont know if I can put 10.5 wide or 12.5 wide tyres on it any advice for me ??

Hope to share photos with all of you and chat, thanks

voldeneal

Hi all I'm new to the site. I wanted to know what the tallest tire I could put on mine? it is a 2000 and stock height. I'm also new to IFS how do I lift one?

mires

Adventurer
Hi all I'm new to the site. I wanted to know what the tallest tire I could put on mine? it is a 2000 and stock height. I'm also new to IFS how do I lift one?

You would be better off starting a new thread BUT I happen to believe the 265/75/16 is the best all around tire on the Trooper. Lifted or not. Look into old man EMU for the lift.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Yes, 265/75s for sure with no lift, with even a little lift 285/75s fit easily.

Lift is also easy, taller coils in the rear (OMEs are great), and adjust the front torsion bars to match ride height.

The forums at Planet Isuzoo have a wealth of info.

outofrshell

Adventurer
Here is my 2cents for what it is worth we have a 2000 Trooper that I installed OME coils on the rear and very little TB crank and it has more than enough clearance for almost any thing.I put 235-85-16 A/Ts on it which is a 32inch tire, that is enough tire to help the clearance but not kill the performance. The ride is still very comfortable but the Trooper is still more than capable to handle an off road trip occasionally. Dave

double moo

Adventurer
OME 912's with 1" puck and T bars cranked to match. Nice 2"-2-1/2"lift without sacrificing much on road. Please get some heady duty TBs - these make a world of difference, more than any other suspension mod.
I replaced my tires this summer. I looked into going with the 235-85 r16's but the tire shop noted my 8" wide rims were too wide and not recommended for the narrower tire. I looked as getting new rims... but decided to stay with the 265-75 r16's... I did change fromt he BFGs to the Grabber AT-2's. I like them so far - winter is just starting here, we'll see how they do!

voldeneal

Thank you all for the help, now I'm not sure if I should go with the ome 919 or 929, I have a heavy front bumper and I'm putting on a roof rack and have big sub's in the back with a high jack. I got rancho 5000 shocks. And heavy duty TB's. And the parts to do a ball joint flip.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
In that case I would definitely go for 929s. That's what I have and I have never regretted it. They are "expedition" grade after all :)

What "parts" do you need to do a ball joint flip? You just separate the ball joint, unbolt the BJ from the top of the UCA and reinstall under the UCA. No extra parts needed.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
If you haven't already picked up a set of manual hubs let me know, I have some I grabbed when I was planning on a Trooper build.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
OK. The spacer is generally not needed unless you are going 3" or more lift. Just depends on whether the alignment shop can get the camber in spec after the lift.

Manual hubs are a good idea IMO. That way with the hubs unlocked in 2WD you aren't turning the front drivetrain all the time. You just lose shift-on-the-fly capability, and have to remember to lock them in before you switch on 4WD.

voldeneal

OK wasn't sure about them so I just went ahead and got the spacers. As for the manual hubs I'm looking for some that way I don't wear out the CV boots as fast, and save a Lil on gas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94