Suspension solution for a very heavy 2007 JKU

OpenTrackRacer

Observer
I have a 2007 Unlimited Rubicon that I use for expedition style off-roading and camping. With the modifications I've made and all my gear, it's very heavy. I'm looking for advice on an suspension upgrade that will handle the load (and still be reasonable when unloaded).

Current modifications include 35" tires on 17" aftermarket allow wheels, flat fenders, 1.25" body lift and a steel rear bumper with swing away tire carrier (which also holds two 5 gallon gas cans, a Hi-Lift jack and a shovel). Suspension is stock other than AirLift air bags in the back (which are terrible and fail all the time).

The numbers...

Stock weight with driver and a full tank of gas: 4,860 pounds (2,530 pounds front, 2,330 pound rear)
Modified weight with driver and a full tank of gas: 5,200 pounds (weight distribution unknown)
Expedition weight with driver and a full tank of gas: 5,940 pounds (2,540 pounds front, 3,400 pounds rear)

So, with all my stuff I'm 1,080 pounds heavier than stock (1,170 pounds of that on the rear axle) and day to day driving around I'm 340 pounds heavier than stock. Some of that is the unsprung weight of the larger wheels and tires of course.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a suspension system that would meet my needs? I'm not looking for a lot of lift... carrying capacity is the most important thing.

Thanks!

Mike

BBailey

Explorer
Coilovers. Given your weight, if you're wheeling it at all, you should also consider an axle upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeeptech

Air bags. Firestone 4172. They work great. They won't change the unloaded ride, easy to install and will increase rear load capacity up to 5000 lbs. I've installed these in many different vehicles with good results.

ventura911

Adventurer
Mike, I recommend Old Man Emu for you. My JKU is no longer svelte, either; the fully-loaded, ready-to-go wet weight of the Jeep, including driver, is 6400 lbs., split 2650 front and 3750 rear. With the Old Man Emu springs (2619's front, 2620's rear - the 660# ones) and JKS ACOS adjustable spacers, the weight is pretty manageable.

MT JK

Suspension

Hey there...first post for me.

I would look at a solution that uses King remote shocks with the adjustable valving. That way when you are loaded up for a trip you can dial up the setting you need and have a comfortable ride when not.

As far as OME, I have not personally rode in one, but I here they are just plain stiff all the time.

jomobco

Now Decanter
Do you see much sag in the AEV 2.5 with that much weight?

-Dan

Not really. Slight when fully packed in the rear. I notice only because my lights are slightly higher. I carry almost 40 gallons of fuel, 650 lbs of wheels/tires, Tuffy center console, glove box and rear shelf, dual yellow tops, 200-300 lbs of travel gear (it's a work truck), fully armored in aluminum, winch, 5.7 hemi with 545RFE. It's not a fat truck, just a full truck and well balanced. I do wish the shocks were slightly stiffer.

Last edited:

Idahoan

Adventurer
I have the AEV 2.5 also and am happy. The Progressive rate springs work well.

A trailer would fix you up.

I went with the AEV 3.5" after talking to AEV at last years expo. I roll heavy kitted out and do not have sag. Went also with toyo a/t extremes in 35" variety

Vince1

Adventurer
A lift with progressive springs and adjustable shocks is the ticket. I weigh more than you out of the box and ride is great whether I'm fully loaded for camping or empty going to work. I'm running AEV 3.5 springs and King adjustables, but there are several other options out there.

OpenTrackRacer

Observer
Thanks for the feedback. Your weight distribution is similar to mine but you're a bit heavier. Do you have a heavy front bumper or winch? OME has suggested I run the 2620 rear spring and the 2617 (which is usually a rear spring) up front. How does your Jeep sit loaded and unloaded? Also, how is the unloaded ride?

Did you use OME shocks or something else?

Thanks again!

Mike, I recommend Old Man Emu for you. My JKU is no longer svelte, either; the fully-loaded, ready-to-go wet weight of the Jeep, including driver, is 6400 lbs., split 2650 front and 3750 rear. With the Old Man Emu springs (2619’s front, 2620’s rear - the 660# ones) and JKS ACOS adjustable spacers, the weight is pretty manageable.

OpenTrackRacer

Observer
A question for those with the AEV lift... do you have heavy front ends as well (bumper, winch, etc.) or is your weight distribution similar to mine? The AEV suspension with progressive rate springs sounds great but they told me that my front would be higher than the rear unloaded which doesn't really work for me (or anyone else I imagine).

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles