Sandals

• Thread starter Wandering Sagebrush
  • Start date

mjmcdowell

Explorer
Sandals........... not for me

I agree..... around my kayak... they work and for hanging out at the end of the day, yup that also works.. Thanks for your service. mjmcdowell

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Indiginous people for thousands of years wore sandals or less. Knowing when and when not to wear sandals is the key. While not recommended, I have backpacked hundreds of miles in Chacos in wet environments. Wouldn't dare do that with any other sandal.

FYI - Chaco makes their sandals available in wide widths. They can also be resoled, rebuilt, and often last for a decade with modest care.

W

Wandering Sagebrush

Update: I ordered a pair of wide Unaweap Z1s direct from Chaco. They should be here in a few days.

gm13

Adventurer
Haven't tried vinegar but a liberal hosing of right guard aerosol does the job for keens, maybe 2 applications per season.

Wainiha

Explorer
In Hawaii we call them slippers. No, not bedroom furry junk.

$3.99 rubber slippers. No stink and not a waste of money...

RubiChris

Observer
I read on Keen's site that some people have a reaction to their anti-microbial treatment and the result is bad odor. I'm one of those lucky ones. They recommend occasionally/as needed to swab Tea Tree Oil on the inside. At least for me t works. It is a natural anti-fungal/anti-bacterial. I like the smell but my wife is not as enthusiastic about it. But, as said earlier, it beats smelling like you're walking around with two dead animals on your feet.

W

Wandering Sagebrush

Update: Chacos and Mirazyme arrived. Haven't used the Mirazyme yet, but I took the Chacos on a brief expedition into northern Nevada. Not wearing dead skunks on my feet at this time, but a long trip to a place like Lake Powell will be the determining factor. I do have a bit of a fit problem with the Chacos. As I mentioned before, being a good Oregonian, I have duck wide feet. On the outside of each sandal, where the heel strap joins the sole, I have a bit of a pressure point on the side of each foot. The more I wear them, the better it seems to be. I may take my Dremmel tool and grind some of the rubber way in that area if it continues to be a problem.

On the positive side, I like the arch support and the toughness of the sole. I can't imagine getting a stone bruise with these guys. With my Tevas, stone bruises are a regular occurrence.

robert

Expedition Leader
I wear Tevas more than Chacos since I get the previous year's models for a discount through a friend but I wash both types with a degreaser like Purple Power to get the funk off then I either use Nikwax Sandal Wash or when I'm out of that I soak them in whatever disinfectant is handy. It's important to remember to clean the straps well and not just the foot bed. I used to wear my watch on a Chum's The Band but the nylon straps absorb sweat and get really funky quickly- just like sandal straps.

Another thing that may help is to occasionally soak your feet in something that helps kills germs and fungus on them. I like Johnson's Foot Soap http://www.amazon.com/Johnsons-Foot-Soap-8oz-Box/dp/B000GCIBI0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401213211&sr=8-1&keywords=johnsons+foot+soak. I've also used just warm water and betadine but the Johnson's works better. Not only does it make your feet feel better but it disinfects them including around the nails.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Instead of sandals, try the Cody Lundin approach and go barefoot!

But seriously... try walking around without shoes more often. Build up the callus on your feet and lots of the stink will go away. When the callus build and your feet get more rugged they dont sweat as much. I had the same problem but with my nice work shoes and work socks. I found myself spending around $500 on shoes for work and they would end up stinking horribly after a certain amount of time and I'd have to get new ones. I randomly spoke with a hippy/earth lover who is barefoot 100% of the time and she suggested I try it. After a few months of walking a lot without shoes my feet dont stink as much. Now I love walking around barefoot. I walk to the bay, work on my rig, walk the dogs..I can even walk the two miles to the beach and back during the summer and it doesnt phase me. Not only will it help with stink but it will improve the health of your feet and build muscles your usually wouldnt have wearing shoes. And better yet, I've had the same pair of work shoes since last year!

Last edited:
I wont contribute much to this thread, but my best pair of sandals finally wore out. I've gone thru 4 or 5 more trying to find some that do not stink. Will give a look at Chacos, maybe. Will also try the tea-tree oil on my current pair of shoes.

Jordan DeRoo

Indiginous people for thousands of years wore sandals or less. Knowing when and when not to wear sandals is the key. While not recommended, I have backpacked hundreds of miles in Chacos in wet environments. Wouldn't dare do that with any other sandal.

FYI - Chaco makes their sandals available in wide widths. They can also be resoled, rebuilt, and often last for a decade with modest care.

More info on this modest care. I just bought a set and absolutely love mine. Mine are starting to acquire a little bit of a scent, nothing offensive, but could be that way soon. My feet sweat all the time ever in sandals.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
When I am in the desert, both afoot and afloat (Lake Powell), I like to wear sandals. I've got a couple of pair of Tevas, and they are fine until about the third day of wear. After that, it's stink city. I've swabbed the sandals and my feet with Clorox wipes, but that has a short life. It doesn't seem to matter how often I wash both sandals and/or feet.

Anyone out there know of sandals with any anti stink capabilities? Or, some other solution?

My feet sweat profusely and stink up a sandle quick. Best I have found is Chaco's. Love the sandle, and I clean them with dish soap and a scrub brush. Once Im done I put them in the freezer over night and that takes care of most of the stink.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne