Sandals

• Thread starter Wandering Sagebrush
  • Start date

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Stinky feet result from not getting down and scrubbing them with deodorant soap. Standing in the shower does not do it. You gotta scrub them. You can also give them one last lather of deodorant soap right before you step out so your feet have a good coat of the deodorant on them. There is no reason for stinky feet this day and age.

keezer37

Explorer
The problem with our soaps and shampoos is we are too clean. We are washing away the good along with the bad. Just like the good bacteria in your gut, there are good bacteria on your skin (or there used to be before you washed them away) that reacts with perspiration and neutralizes body odor. You'll start to see more on this in the coming years as I do not believe this has to be FDA approved. Where does this good bacteria come from? Dirt. Hence the barefoot comment above. Scientist are finding this may be another reason animals roll around in the dirt.

In the interim, avoid sodium lauryl sulfate in your soap and shampoo.

GordoSmasho

Observer
The problem with our soaps and shampoos is we are too clean. We are washing away the good along with the bad. Just like the good bacteria in your gut, there are good bacteria on your skin (or there used to be before you washed them away) that reacts with perspiration and neutralizes body odor. You'll start to see more on this in the coming years as I do not believe this has to be FDA approved. Where does this good bacteria come from? Dirt. Hence the barefoot comment above. Scientist are finding this may be another reason animals roll around in the dirt.

Along the same vain check out hibiclens. Get the genuine stuff and not the cvs knockoff stuff. It rocks at removing the bad bacteria and not stripping your skin of its natural oils. Our whole family switched to this after we were stricken with many staff infections from a hospital surgery visit. It finally knocked it out after many trips to the ER to get the infections drained and many antibiotic cycles.

Last edited:

keezer37

Explorer

Along the same vain check out hibiclens. Get the genuine stuff and not the cvs knockoff stuff. It rocks at removing the bad bacteria and not stripping your skin of its natural oils. Our whole family switched to this after we were stricken with many staff infections from a hospital surgery visit. It finally knocked it out after many trips to the ER to get the infections drained and many antibiotic cycles.

No Soap No Shampoo Bacteria Rich Hygiene Experiment

Article said:
Jamas, a quiet, serial entrepreneur with a doctorate in biotechnology, incorporated N. eutropha into his hygiene routine years ago; today he uses soap just twice a week. The chairman of the company’s board of directors, Jamie Heywood, lathers up once or twice a month and shampoos just three times a year. The most extreme case is David Whitlock, the M.I.T.-trained chemical engineer who invented AO+. He has not showered for the past 12 years. He occasionally takes a sponge bath to wash away grime but trusts his skin’s bacterial colony to do the rest. I met these men. I got close enough to shake their hands, engage in casual conversation and note that they in no way conveyed a sense of being “unclean” in either the visual or olfactory sense.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I wear my keen and sanuk sandals ALOT, and neither stink at all. I would look at keen for outdoor lifestyle sandals.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
How about wearing socks?

It's a shame so many consider this such a fashion disaster - I typically hike in boots but carry Teva or similar hiking sandals for water crossing and end-of-day footwear. A fresh pair of anklet or low-crew length wool socks and sandals really is SO comfortable.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
One good thing about Keen is they look like minimalist sneakers with socks on. I do wear low cut sock and them at times. When I know Im walking a lot like at the themeparks with the kids. Just to get a bit of extra comfort with them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles