Sandals

• Thread starter Wandering Sagebrush
  • Start date
W

Wandering Sagebrush

When I am in the desert, both afoot and afloat (Lake Powell), I like to wear sandals. I've got a couple of pair of Tevas, and they are fine until about the third day of wear. After that, it's stink city. I've swabbed the sandals and my feet with Clorox wipes, but that has a short life. It doesn't seem to matter how often I wash both sandals and/or feet.

Anyone out there know of sandals with any anti stink capabilities? Or, some other solution?

Last edited:

rcintx

Adventurer
Keen are made out of anti microbial material, but the Tevas are too I think. Maybe wash with alcohol?

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
option one...
embrace the stank...... really you are in the desert your feet are gonna stink and sweat no matter what.
option 2
chacos.... yea they get grimy but not as greasy as tevas, feel better too
worth the money
just my two cents

Jwood70

Observer
If you are concerned about stink, beware that chacos can get some funk too. They require some regular washing. I love my Chacos and am on my second pair (i still have the 1st pair, but the souls have broken and they live in my toolbox) and I dont think I had to wash the 1st pair until about 4 months almost daily wear (working at a camp).

Ramjet

Explorer
It's not out yet, but it will be soon. You can you Hex Detergent. It's made by Clean Gear Co. And what it does is kill the bacteria on your clothing and gear at the moleculeur level. It doesn't just mask the smell it eliminates it.

Yes, I do represent the company but it is amazing stuff. It will get rid of mold and mildew on tents, tarps, awnings etc.. As well.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
And what it does is kill the bacteria on your clothing and gear at the moleculeur level. It doesn't just mask the smell it eliminates it.
Isn't this what bleach does, too? Enter cells and destroy microorganisms. Of course there's a downside to bleach, the smell and how it can damage some things. I wear Chacos, have for many years. They can develop a funk but it's not as offensive as Tevas. I've worn them to work, the office at the last job didn't mind. I wasn't the only person either, so it can't be too bad.

Ramjet

Explorer
Exactly what bleach does. But bleach can break down adhesives and destroy not only the smell, which is good, but it's a corrosive and destroys fabrics at the moleculeur level as well. Look at your whites that you wash ever week, over time the fabric just breaks down.

Exactly what bleach does. But bleach can break down adhesives and destroy not only the smell, which is good, but it's a corrosive and destroys fabrics at the moleculeur level as well. Look at your whites that you wash ever week, over time the fabric just breaks down.
Personally I don't wear white because it soon becomes gray or greasy gray stained and if I did wear white it would just go in with the rest of the wash. You could do a watered down bleach solution. Or make some shoes out of tree bark....

Toyotero

Explorer
Ditto on the Chacos. I had two pairs of Tevas over several years, the best thing about them is their light weight. A complete day of unwashed wear (no river walking, etc) and it definitely smelled like I was wearing a couple of skunks on my feet.

My wife bought me a pair of Chacos a couple of years ago after she got herself a pair. They are really comfortable, great arch support. The only downside in comparison to Tevas is the weight. They seem to have more resistance to microbial growth, although they are not immune either. I've starting spraying the top surface with Athlete's Foot spray before I wear them which seems to help a lot.

Oh, the other downside compared to Tevas... Chacos MSRP is about $100. We found mine on-sale online for about $50. Check out a local REI, Whole Earth, etc to try on the different strap styles and find your size and buy online.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Chacos really have no equal in the sandal world. There's a reason why nearly every river guide in NA wears then.

The best anti-microbial wash is Mirazime made by McNett. My Chacos never whip up a funk, but I do use Mirazime for other applications.

mjmcdowell

Explorer
Sandals........... not for me

Uhhhhhhh........ Folks, Ditch the sandals....... get a good pair of hikers, mid weight, wash your feet daily, wear CLEAN lite weight socks layering if conditions merit it, wool with no dye in them if you can get them and use foot powder. Have mole skin for blisters, have trim toe nails and let your piggies air out and wiggle when you can they will love you for it and smell will be practically nil. Sandals in any environment to those who are not used to them are asking for trouble...... no support at all, twigs, stones to cut/bruise you and if you stub your toe and rip off a toe nail etc. etc........... Ask any Veteran how valuable healthy feet are, no sandals on the feet of the Infantry in any branch of the service as they depend so much on healthy feet, desert, rocks, tropical environment, no matter, boots it is, this I know for a fact. mjmcd (USARVN 69/70, Infantry, Mecong Delta)

W

Wandering Sagebrush

Thanks for all the feedback and info. I've got Mirazyme on order, and now looking for a pair Chacos that are wide enough for my duck feet.

mj, I'm an old jarhead, and I'm well acquainted with the benefits of good boots. I've got a couple of pair of Danners, with all the appropriate wicking and light weight socks. However, there are times when sandals are more appropriate. For heavy duty stuff, it's the Danners, for around the boat or easy stuff, it's sandals. I want sandals that don't stink! My Tevas stink!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles