Mounting Flippac accessories?

faulke

Hey there,

I'm looking for some ideas of how to mount some accessories with a Flippac, particularly solar panels and some tie-down points for the rainfly or various guy lines. Do you drill right on through the fiberglass, or stick them with a strong adhesive? Anybody have any examples or pictures?

Thanks,
faulke

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
On the main shell you can drill right through and put a backing washer on the inside.

Turtle29

Is there anything additional to be aware of if drilling into the sides, near the top edge at the front (upper right corner of the passenger side, or upper left corner of the drivers side) in the area where the hinge may be reinforced? what about in the top back corner of the side near the latches? I am interested in adding tie down points in these areas for a removable tarp / awning. Thanks in advance.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I thought you had to use a nutsert if you wanted to mount something on the shell. For example in the rear above the lift glass.

A response by you to a question in May 2013 "Drilling through the rear wall panel above the hatch back shouldn't be a problem. You will be drilling into a cavity so you'll have to attach to it using an insert or pop rivets. Make sure you seal the area with silicon or neoprene to avoid water entering the cavity.

The rust you are seeing around the hinges is most probably coming from the torsion bar. The torsion bar is heat treated steel so it rusts, nothing that can be done about that. The sleeve that covers the torsion bar varies from unit vary in length, some are loose and some tight. The tight fitting ones can trap water inside them so it's best to drill a couple of weep holes in the sleeve to allow for drainage.

The hinge area does need to be siliconed. Remove any old loose silicon refill the area and make sure you seal from the hinge to the shell. Apply the silicon with the lid closed and the open. Open and close applies different strains to the hinge and opens up different areas that need to be sealed. Use a good outdoor rated silicon.

The area around the hinge needs to be checked and siliconed on a regular basis, at least every six months. "

On the main shell you can drill right through and put a backing washer on the inside.

I just want want to make sure I do it right when I develop the guts to drill my Flippac : O

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online