Build Thread: 2003 Montero XLS: Ol'Betsy #6

lordtrunks

camp loser
Well thanks for reporting back on that fullmonte that sucks to hear they would sell some pavement pounding skids like that.

JordanM/S

Off Road Enthusiast
Fullmonte, have you looked into http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au

I plan on purchasing some skids for my montero sport(challenger pa)from them because I've heard great things, there is a guy on here with a gen 3 that has just installed them. Montypower? They are 4mm Laser Cut Steel
Which beats most other brands 3mm. Check them out, and if you have any questions IDE try Montypower who has the '03 20th anniversary silver Expedition montero.
Only thing is, shipping from Australia is pricey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jay Ayala

Explorer
Jay, you're killing me. You know very well that I had a t87 Raider back in the day. It my absolute fave color! Also had t86, t88, and other assorted Mitsu blues. This is the first of my trucks not to sport any blue at all. Unless you've noticed my valve caps...? ;)

Hahaha!!!
"Killing me" Phil you crack me up bro!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
LOL. Jay buddy, we had T87's at the same time, once upon a time...

Partrick and FullMonty, keep us updated on any developments - too bad the first one didn't pan out, but the second sounds promising?

Back to my "Build". (Maybe build is a misnomer, since this thing won't be changed nearly as much as most of the rigs on here, but...)

Made a tiny bit of progress yesterday, and then a step back as well.

First the step back: Gen2 airbags won't fit the gen3. Damnit. I was kinda hoping they would. Coils are larger diameter on the gen2. So back to the drawing board on that one. Anyone bought Airlift style airbags for the gen3?

Now a step forward: Optima yellow top installed...

batt1.jpg

This was not as easy as it should've been. Terminals were on the wrong sides, and inboard compared to a standard battery. This required a slightly off-kilter install, and some massaging of that metal bar that connects the fusible links. But its now in... Which brings me to my second battery... where've you guys been hiding them? I was planning all along on mounting it inside, where the third row seat hides, but then I spotted a large void under the hood, passenger's side, next to the firewall. Anyone tried one here?

2nd batt.jpg

I put an optima lower tray there just to show it will fit. More weight up front, but might be better there than behind the back wheels? I'd have to make a metal tray for it, but there are some mounting studs already there, just waiting to reach their full potential...? Second battery is for compressor, fridge, accessories of all sorts... I'll use a separator-solenoid between the two yellowtops, with the option to jumpstart one off the other if needed.

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
It's entirely possible that there is a dual battery configuration for cold weather diesel models.

Typically on a RHD vehicle, that space is there for the brake booster, steering linkage, etc. Possibly it was dual batt in a LHD diesel market. I haven't seen any Dual batt OE setups in the JDM Paj's I was looking at online before I decided to go with a "domestic import". Here's a typical 4M41 engine compartment (albeit shiny!)

picture2010%5C1811255321482.jpg

Nice thread Phil, I look forward to swapping Ideas with you on these rigs.

Absolutely Justice! I was stoked to see you got another! I haven't been posting much in that other place lately, since there ain't much love for the Gen3, IMHO. Maybe we can change that? LOL...

No updates to this build right now, except that I got roof cross-bars. I'll edit this post with the part number and a pic...

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
OK, you made me look. What I found is rather disappointing- not only do they get (optional) 2nd batteries in Europe, but also a man pedal and that little button on the console. AFAIK, it is a helical LSD that can be fully locked, like what is in the rear axle of a Wrangler Rubicon.
German2002Pajero.jpg

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
Sorry I made you look... :). Does get you thinking, which is not a bad thing. Is it?

Update on my crossbars: sport rack (owned by thule), model number SR1009. Here's another garage pic (getting sick of these yet?)

image.jpg

Put the second battery in the third row seat well for now, till I figure a permanent spot. Hooked up the trailer tonight. Had to switch to a 3/4" rise, from my 3 1/2" drop on the gen2. Def gonna need bags... Rear susp went down an inch under the tongue weight.

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
This weekend: Towing with the gen3

Took the truck out as a tow rig for the first time this weekend. Rocky Mountains, steep grades, higher elevations... The 5sp tiptronic really is a good trans for towing!

Used my OBD2 gauges via iPad mini, and was able to see the temp staying steady at just under 200*. (More on gauges later). Ordered some susp airbags today since the tongue weight dropped the truck an inch or so more than it was already loaded down to....

Second battery ran the fridge all weekend, even though it's not part of the charging system yet.

Here are a few shots in the wild... I've been posting too many garage pics!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Justice R

Adventurer
Phil, I have an I pad mini as well, very interested in your OBD2 interface. I made a custom (well modified really) high clearance trailer hitch mount, I'll share soon. Nothing ground breaking but somewhat of a mod nonetheless..

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
Looking forward to it, Justice! We just got back from Alaska, and I had a notice waiting from UPS of delivery tomorrow on my airbags, so I should have an update soon on whether they fit or not. I'll also take some pics of the OBD scanner in use, setup, etc. Beyond that, I need to fix a couple things on the gen2 diesel and put her on the market sometime soon... then I can move forward on new mods for the Gen3.

Djbenny

Adventurer
Awesome thread. I just recently purchased my 01 limited. I love it so far!

Last edited:

Imnosaint

Adventurer
Hi Phil, nice work on your Gen III. You asked previously in the thread about airlift bags. I tried a set on my Gen III but they didn't survive the amount of off-road travel we do. And I understand the aversion to aftermarket suspension, but the OME build I did on mine was well worth it, both off and on road, pulling a horse trailer as well.

Djbenny

Adventurer
imnosaint which OME kit did you purchase? Medium or heavy duty? I want a lift but don't want it to be super stiff on road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior