Will an open cockpit on a yak reduce mpg's

I'm running around the country starting tomorrow and I was wondering with my yaks on top of the truck, would it help to cover the cockpits for better mpg's?

Lucky j

Explorer
Do not know if i will realy help with gas milage, but it will help with air flow, dirt, and noise and stability. Plus, with a cover, you can use it as storage space for light stuff.

Have a nice trip!

96Delica

Adventurer
Guy I know has some on top of his van and they actually improved his milage. Probably streamlined the shoebox a bit. Just my two cents!

scanny

Observer
I guess covering cockpit or carrying kayak upside down will redice air drag. And it also ensures that if you drive trough the rain your kayak won't be filled with water making it 10 times heavier : )

xjaugie

Adventurer
I drive around with the kayak on the top of the truck pretty much all the time this time of year. Having a cover will keep out the rain and dust, but MPG effected by the open cockpit, nay don't think so..

Silver dude

Xplorer
I can't seem to find hatch covers that are rated to highway speeds. Mine at times make that noise that sound like someone is blowing across the top of a bottle. However, after a while I no longer notice. Would be nice to have a seal cover could keep the lifejackets and paddles onboard. Perhaps even use a kayak as a roof storage bin for some of the lighter gear.

shopkins

aka Glitch
I don't believe it will help at all with that. Also I'm sure it depends on what truck and how large the engine is. There is no difference on my Silverado with or without the kayak, that being said I know a cover will make no difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lucky j

Explorer
I make my own kayak cover, last one I did was from an olds garage nylon plastic tarp, a bungy cord and my sawing machine.

So not speed rated, but work perfectly!!

By the way, that post was like 1 year old! Lol!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste