Switching my life to "not Jeans". Can I get some recomendations for good NON JEANS

DaveNay

Adventurer
I too have been moving away from wearing jeans in the last year or so.

I recently got a pair of Carhartt pants. I always thought the fabric of their products would be stiff and thick denim... on the contrary they are the most comfortable pants I've ever had. They come in great colors too. I like them so much, I now have 4 pair. They are also fairly inexpensive at around $40 each.

http://www.amazon.com/Carhartt-Wash...l&ie=UTF8&qid=1385237807&sr=1-1&keywords=b324

I actually ordered two pairs of these Carhartt this afternoon. My normal jeans are also Carhartt, but I can definitely feel the trend away from jeans.

zelatore

Explorer
Hmmm...I may have to look into the Carhartts. I've recently switched from jeans to Duluth Trading 'firehose' pants. Both flex and regular. I'm pretty happy with them; they seem to hold up well to diesel, oil, bilge grime, welding and grinding, etc and they shed water pretty well to boot. I had been destroying a pair of jeans every other month or so, and no holes in these yet. They are a little more than the Carhartts, but if you get on their email list they seem to have sales pretty regularly.
http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/mens-pants/work-pants-for-men/work-pants-for-men.aspx

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I'm interested in this thread. My issue is that I have a 36" inseam and most brands are standard 32 and maybe max out at 34. Any recommendations for long-legged folks?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Carhartt has quite a large size selection.
Indeed they do. One of the reasons I switched to them years ago (it was originally for their jeans) was they made a 33 x 34 size. I always fall between a 32 and 34 waist that most manufacturers seem to make. Carhartt's longest inseam is 36".

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I'm interested in this thread. My issue is that I have a 36" inseam and most brands are standard 32 and maybe max out at 34. Any recommendations for long-legged folks?
I wear a 36x36 or 38x36, depending on brand.
Some of the Duluth Trading Company pants actually run long; their jeans are too long for me and some of the work pants.
The Piragis Camping Pant also runs long and a bit large around the belly: http://www.piragis.com/boundarywaterspants.html?gclid=CMfXhJj7mb4CFQqIfgod53QA7w Great lightweight pant.

Carhartt doesn't fit me well; it's more for buttless guys...

Cabelas used to have a Trailhiker Stretch pant that was very good. Traveled well, didn't wrinkle, etc. But I don't see it on their site anymore. Their Trailhiker II isn't as good since it's a stiff cotton, runs baggy, and wrinkles easily.

Most of these yuppie techie pants don't come in 36" lengths and cost too dang much...

Explorer
I have to outfit a large work crew in khaki colored pants for my business. I've tried many brands, and so far Arborwear has been the one everybody likes and raves about. Very reasonable, extremely, durable, and great mobility: Costs about the same as Carhart, but they are way more comfortable and durable.

http://www.arborwear.com/products/pants

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I like dockers for pretty much any situation in dark khaki and brown. I think they look pretty snazzy with brown dress shoes as well as my standard low-top Doc's. When they get stains/paint, etc on them they get retired from every day/work use and put into "project/camping pant" status.

Honestly, I hardly ever buy new clothes. I get clothes for christmas, and I tend to scour goodwill/thrift stores for my size once or twice a year.

It's a personal thing, but I'd rather re-use than buy new. :)

Beamer pilot

Explorer
Interesting to see that us expedition types are also "fashionistas".
This AM on CBC Radio a report on men's fashions exceeding the women in gross sales for the last two years not only that but apparently men will buy new styles without regard for price as opposed to ladies being cost conscious!
You go girl!!

DR1665

Gearheads United
Hmmm...I may have to look into the Carhartts. I've recently switched from jeans to Duluth Trading 'firehose' pants. Both flex and regular. I'm pretty happy with them; they seem to hold up well to diesel, oil, bilge grime, welding and grinding, etc and they shed water pretty well to boot. I had been destroying a pair of jeans every other month or so, and no holes in these yet. They are a little more than the Carhartts, but if you get on their email list they seem to have sales pretty regularly.
http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/mens-pants/work-pants-for-men/work-pants-for-men.aspx
Can't say enough about the DTC Firehose/Flex pants. Father-in-law (who swears by their long t-shirts), gave me a gift card a couple years ago, I bought a pair of the Firehose pants, and haven't bought anything else since. Currently have the 1 pair of 2-year-old Firehose and 3 pairs of Firehose Flex pants. They're nigh indestructible, uber comfortable - even for larger guys like me, a 42x32 - and have all kinds of nifty little features that spoil you.

For the most part, mine still look good as new, though the darker colors tend to show their age more. I left a pair of networking scissors in a pocket of one pair which snipped a tiny hole, and my first pair of Flex finally started to show signs of wear in one knee after about two years. Sent them back to DTC and got 2 brand new pairs in the mail - free of charge, no BS warranty - inside of two weeks.

Recently tried out a pair of Cabella's hiking pants (non-ripstop). They're comfortable, but nowhere near as useful or fitting.

Can't recommend DTC enough. The regular Firehose pants are great for colder climates, as they're very heavy and thick - more than double the weight of a pair of jeans, I'd guess - but the Flex versions are rock solid. Buy with confidence.

highdesertranger

Adventurer
I vote for carharts. reasonable price, long lasting. you guys saying blue jeans are out must not work around cowboys, I am the only one that doesn't wear blue jeans. highdesertranger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles