Switching my life to "not Jeans". Can I get some recomendations for good NON JEANS

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I now own 2 pairs of the Wrangler Riggs Workwear Ripstop Carpenter Jeans. I am now officially converted from Carhartts, Dickies, etc. You can find them lots of places for $30ish.

They are not as heavy Carhartts, which I find to be a benefit. But they have lighter ripstop cotton and are reinforced with Cordura Nylon in the pockets and have a leather(ish) protector on the front pocket if you carry a pocket knife. Gusseted crotch. Great pants in the summer. I'd much prefer these hiking to a pair of Carhartts. And at $30, I don't mind tearing them up/staining them at work.

They also make a "Ranger" pant if you prefer a tactical look, with reinforced knees and cargo pockets.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Riggs-Workwear-Wrangler-Ripstop-Carpenter/dp/B000A2K9GI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1408189402&sr=8-2&keywords=riggs+workwear+carpenter+jean

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Yeah, when I am ready to get them, I will def shop around and get a good price. We just got a sportchek in our town, my son works there and they have awesome clothes, McKinnley and mountain hardware pants are on my to get list for sure.

Dazrin

Adventurer
Since a lot of people are referencing work pants here, I thought I would post this video for Mascot Work Wear. I haven't tried these, but will be looking into them more since I was impressed by this video.

The durability "test" is impressive to say the least.

There is an interview at a trade show where the NW US rep is talking about them here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y1_y5t2alM

While that particular pair is probably a little much, a less decked out pair might be perfect, especially if the price goes down from there.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
I tried Mountain Khaki, Wrangler and a couple of other brands and nothing fits like Carhartt. Got tired of trying pants on....even though Amazon has free returns on pants. So my vote is for Carhartt.

kojackJKU

I picked up a pair of dickies and rustler work pants for.....work. both are super comfortable. I am impressed with them.

zelatore

Explorer
I'm still on Duluth Trading firehose pants, but my enthusiasm is starting to wane. I've been able to wear holes in several pairs as well as stain them. OK, some of the holes are from battery acid so nothing is going to survive that, but I've also put holes in them on the outer pockets where things like my phone and flashlight in the pockets rub up against things in day to day work. This is true with both the regular and the flex fabrics.

Still very comfortable, though the regular pants are pretty heavy/hot for summer work. And I LOVE the pocket arrangement. But my eye has started to wander. If I come across another brand with similar pocket arrangements I'll probably give them a try.

Again, I'm really hard on pants. I crawl around boat and yacht bilges a lot so I'm always snagging on things, sitting on batteries, scraping up against hard steel corners, etc. I don't know if there is a pair of pants made that will survive what I do.

java

Expedition Leader
I picked up a pair of the light Carhartts suggested earlier. Pretty nice, very soft, and seem to be wearing well so far. My only gripe is the fabric seems to show every little thing that gets on them, I did get the "dark coffee" or something color.

kojackJKU

I was at Marks work warehouse in gander NL, an hr away from me. 79,99 for the carhartts and they are exactly the same as my Dickies for 36. Can you tell me the difference between the two pairs of pant?

PirateB

I got some "Nomex" fire and emergency services pants that are GREAT, I'm sure you can order them online, I found mine in a thrift store.

Mojave Jack

I haven't had a pair of jeans for over 10 years. I tried a pair on not too long ago, and wondered why I ever wore them at all!

Recently, I found a pair of Columbia's Lander pants cheap at an outlet. They were comfortable, but the best part was the cell phone pocket is in the perfect spot. Unfortunately I blew out the cuff shortly after I got them. I thought they might have been defects, thus the bargain I got them for, so I bought another pair. Split the seat within weeks. Great design, crappy material.

So now I keep searching for that perfect pair of khakis with a cell phone pocket in that same sweet spot. The Dickies and Carhartts put it on the back of your leg and too low, so your phone is constantly banging off your vehicle door frame or the edge of your chair, etc., or you end up sitting on it. Cargo pockets do the same thing, but also leave you scrambling to get the pocket open to get to your phone. Probably the best I've found so far is the LL Bean Pathfinder pants. The cargo pocket is pretty unobtrusive, and generally keeps my phone from banging into everything I get near.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I was at Marks work warehouse in gander NL, an hr away from me. 79,99 for the carhartts and they are exactly the same as my Dickies for 36. Can you tell me the difference between the two pairs of pant?

Having owned both, the Dickies are definitely far more lightweight and less durable. Still a good work pant, but not of the same quality as Carhartt. But with that said, I own several pairs of Dickies pants because I don't need the wear like iron durability of Carhartts and I know I will stain whatever work pants I get. So I'd rather stain a cheap pair of Dickies from Walmart than an expensive pair of Carhartts. I also have several pairs of $14 jeans from the warehouse store for the same reason. My pants tend to get stained to the point of embarrassment before they wear out.

But given how comfortable the Riggs pants are, I think my Dickies/Carhartt days are over.

PirateB

My Dickie's hold up well working in a kitchen 40hrs a week, they outlast all my chef pants. The nomex pants are becoming my favorite though,and they're fire resistant!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles