Factory Produced Classic Jeep Turbo Diesel

PaladinTrucks

I have a passion for these Vehicles, and am always surprised how few people even know they exist.
They are truly the ultimate formula...

*Classic Willys CJ3b Styling
*Unbelievable build quality from Mitsubishi Heavy Industries
*Unbreakable Mechanicals 2.7 4DR6 Direct Injection Turbo Diesel, Dana Axles 44 and 30, Mitsubishi HD Transmission
*Incredible Fuel Economy (over 35 mpg)
*Outstanding Off Road Capability with superb approach (47°) and departure (35.5°) angles. BONE STOCK

I have had several of these Jeeps and they are an absolute riot! Mitsubishi actually made them in several body styles including a LWB and even the old 4 door "Wagon" style with the rear barn doors!!

From the factory they are happy to run on Diesel, Kerosene, and Bio Diesel. There are at least 40 grease fitting on every imaginable location on the vehicle,

A Mitsubishi Jeep, made under license in Japan is based on the CJ3B Jeep, but with bomb proof mechanicals. It is actually called a Mitsubishi Jeep P-J53 this one was made in 1988, it is a military spec it's even 24 volt.
In 1953 Mitsubishi got the rights to build Willys and the Mitsubishi Jeep was born; manufactured from 1953 - 1998. In 1970 Mitsubishi upgraded the engine from 2.2L Diesel to 2.7L diesel motor and soon became popular for its legendary reliability and added power. In 1988 Mitsubishi started fitting their potent 4DR6 turbo direct injection engine (Compression ratio 17.5, 100 hp/153 ft/lb) to produce maximum power, torque and fuel efficiency of 15.5km/litre or 36.6 miles / US gallon. Turbo is a Mitsubishi Heavy Industries waste gate equipped TD04 type turbocharger. Good torque characteristics helps minimize or eliminate turbo lag. In addition cooling, lubrication system, combustion chamber and the like were modified to accommodate all the added power while keeping the reliability at its best. All this in a factory produced product.

Over the years every aspect of the 4x4 drive train has been improved by Mitsubishi to modern standards. The interior including weather equipment and instrument panel are made to look original. It can cruise all day at highway speeds and tackle the toughest off road conditions with superb approach (47°) and departure (35.5°) angles.

I'm in the process of modifying a trailer to use with it for longer trips, swapping out the hubs to match the bolt pattern on the Jeep.

I live in the North Georgia Mountains with virtually unlimited access to trails and fire roads so I probably put close to 10k miles a year on the two Jeeps I own.

2014-05-02+17.49.22.jpg

2014-05-02+17.52.38.jpg

2014-04-24+16.21.19.jpg

2014-05-02+17.50.04.jpg

wped02404f_05_06.jpg

IMAG0588.jpg

IMAG0571.jpg

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Woah...
look at that 4dr wagon with the barn doors in the brochure...yeah you mentioned it but until I saw the pic I didn't realize how cool that is.
Turbo diesel in that body style and all factory...super super cool.

I love my 70 Suburban but finding something like that could make me seriously consider a change....wonder what one of those goes for? Then to import?

Big thanks for telling us about these.

PaladinTrucks

Wagon

Woah...
look at that 4dr wagon with the barn doors in the brochure...yeah you mentioned it but until I saw the pic I didn't realize how cool that is.
Turbo diesel in that body style and all factory...super super cool.

I love my 70 Suburban but finding something like that could make me seriously consider a change....wonder what one of those goes for? Then to import?

Big thanks for telling us about these.
I had one last year for a while. Absolutely a riot.
Diesel, 4 speed on the column, and wait........ factory AC!!!!!!
I had @ $20k in it by the time it was in my driveway.
J38-03130_26.jpg
J38-03130_24.jpg
J38-03130_10.jpg
J38-03130_16.jpg
J38-03130_22.jpg

swift7777

°.lllllll.°
Like the op stated, I never knew these existed but now that I do all I can say is wow! So sick, love it.

Geodoc

Adventurer
Paladin (love your website, btw), is it possible to switch out a Hurricane F-head in a Willy's with a Mitsubishi 4DR6? If so, any ideas on where to get a 4DR6?

onemanarmy

Explorer
so they were made form 1953-1998.

What is the best one to be on the lookout for? Ones that are 25 years old now. Maybe a 1970 or newer with the larger engine? What was the year range of all the different body styes?

jona

Do you have any information on how to adjust the fuel injection? I took my jeep to the local Mitsu dealer (Palawan, Philippines) where I was told they'd never before seen a 4DR6 engine. Mine (J23) is starting to make black smoke when I ask it to make max power (what's the equivalent of saying wide open throttle when talking about a diesel?).
Replacement parts are a big problem. Little by little I've been finding substitutes, for example, the clutch slave is nearly the same as Land Cruiser. The disc brake conversion used by Willys owners bolts right on, and was cheaper than getting four new front brake cylinders from a guy in Japan who has apparently cornered the market for parts.
My jeep earns its keep, search "Jeep ride to farm at Bacungan, Palawan" and if you want nightmares, view my video "TieRod"

sigo

Probably one of Sean's (paladintrucks). He's based out of Blue Ridge just north of Atlanta. I bought a J53 off of him over a year ago. I drive it almost daily as my commuter vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier