Nexus phone competitor: Oneplus One

haven

Expedition Leader
Short version:

Oneplus is new phone manufacturer. Their first phone, called One, has state of the art hardware and a custom version of Android 4.4.2, provided by Cyanogenmod.

The phone is sold without contract to a cell phone carrier, allowing you to take advantage of inexpensive month to month contracts. In USA, the Oneplus One will work on the ATT and T-Mobile LTE and 4G GSM networks.

Purchase price for a One with 16 GB of storage is only $299. A better deal is the 64 GB model for $350. Sales are by invitation now, and will begin to the general public in July.

http://oneplus.net/

haven

Expedition Leader
Background:

If you're like me, you chafe at the prices charged for smart phones. Most phones are purchased with $100 to $200 down payment, plus $20 a month for a two year contract. That's $600 or more for the phone over two years.

To make matters worse, you're locked into a single carrier's network for two years. So you can't jump to a carrier that offers a better deal or better service in your area. Traveling outside the country, you've got to unlock your phone from your USA carrier, or pay expensive roaming charges.

A few manufacturers sell unlocked versions of their phones, which release you from the requirement to use one carrier. Most unlocked phones carry a premium price, about $650. And you have to pay in full up front, or arrange financing on your own. (Apple and Best Buy let you pay over an extended period without interest charges, for example.)

Another annoyance is the manufacturers' and carriers' propensity to pre-load your phone with a new user interface, extra apps, and additional utilities. A few apps take special advantage of some hardware feature of the phone. But most seem aimed at tying you to that carrier's services. All take up storage memory on your phone. Some of these extras can be deleted or customized, but some cannot.

One last issue with carrier-locked phones is how long it takes the carrier to release their version of a software update. Months can go by before the latest version of Android is released by your carrier. (Apple is an exception. Apple controls the release of updates to all iPhones, regardless of carrier.)

All carriers and manufacturers specify how long they will continue to provide software updates to a particular model of phone. Often, that time is two years from the introduction of the phone (note: not from the time when you bought the phone).

Google's Nexus phone offers one solution to these problems. The phones are less expensive (Nexus 5 starts at $350 today), and come with plain vanilla Android OS. The Nexus models can be used on ATT, Sprint or T-Mobile in USA, or on one of the many discount phone services (termed MVNOs, for Mobile Virtual Network Operators). MNVOs buy from the major phone services in bulk, and resell the service.

The Nexus models receive OS updates as soon as Google releases them. Google guarantees software updates for two years. A community of Android programming enthusiasts (including a company called Cyanogenmod) often provides support for older Nexus models.

Oneplus is a new competitor for Nexus. The One costs less and offers more up-to-date hardware. Cyanogen has provided a version of Android that is easier than stock Android to customize to your needs.

haven

Expedition Leader
Tech specs of the Oneplus One:

CPU 2.5GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon™ 801
GPU Adreno 330, 578MHz

Display 5.5 inches, 1920x1080 pixels (Full HD)
IPS panel, Corning Gorilla Glass

RAM 3 GB LP-DDR3, 1866MHz
Storage 16 GB ($299) or 64 GB ($349)
no microSD slot

Cellular LTE, 3G and 4G GSM (ATT or TMobile in USA)
WiFi dual band 802.11 AC
Bluetooth 4.0
Positioning GPS and GLONASS

Camera 13 MP rear, dual LED flash
5 MP front

Battery 3100 mAh

Dimensions 152.9 x 75.9 x 8.9 mm
Weight 5.71 ounces (162 g)

Size comparisons

Samsung Galaxy S5 (5.1 inch screen)
Dimensions 142 x 72.5 x 8.1 mm
Weight 145 g

HTC One M8 (5 inch screen)
Dimensions 146.4 x 70.6 x 9.4 mm
Weight 160 g

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (5.7 inch screen)
Dimensions 151.2 x 79.2 x 8.3 mm
Weight 168 g

java

Expedition Leader
hmmmm interesting. Anything coming stock with Cyanogen is very very interesting....

Now the hardware specs aren't crazy impressive, but Cyano does a very good job of squeezing the max out of anything. Although I haven't run one of those Roms in quite a while.

haven

Expedition Leader
"CPU is pretty mediocre..."

Au contraire! Snapdragon 801 is currently Qualcomm's top of the line processor for phones. It's used in the Samsung Galaxy 5S and HTC One (M8). We won't see the Snapdragon 805 for a couple of months.

java

Expedition Leader
I've been following this phone for a few weeks, I know what my next phone is going to be!!

Ha if you can get one! Im a bit unhappy with the invite system. Oh well. Id like it to be my next phone also, but don't want to wait years for an invite.

dcproven

Adventurer
I am sure they will go everywhere once they start some sort of mass production... why limit it, if there is demand, once you can sell them?
If not, well, I'll figure something out, but really would love to get this one.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Cool. We're a Nexus family (my N5 is our fourth), but I'd consider a One for the next purchase.

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
I like the idea, I'd seriously consider it to replace my Nexus 5 in the future. Too bad the phone does not support LTE band 12 (T-Mobile's new spectrum bought from Verizion).

haven

Expedition Leader
OnePlus has reduced the price of the One phone by $50. The "purchase by invitation" plan is no more; you can purchase anytime.

https://oneplus.net/one
http://liliputing.com/2015/06/oneplus-one-now-sells-for-249-and-up-after-a-permanent-price-cut.html

The OnePlus specs page for the One phone still lists Cyanogen 11S as the OS. It's based on Android 4.4. Last March, Cyanogenmod and OnePlus parted ways, with no love lost between the two companies. Today, OnePlus has its own OS called OxygenOS, based on Android 5.0.
https://oneplus.net/oxygenos

If you want to migrate to OxygenOS, you'll need to flash your phone's ROM. Instructions are included on the page linked above. A developer version of Cyanogen 12S is available, as well. The comments pages linked to OxygenOS indicate both OxygenOS and Cyanogen 12S are buggy. So I'd stick with Cyanogen 11S for now.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Hmmmm ......... OnePlus One delayed last year because of security issues.

Android not the best platform

Google patent activity is about tracking all your activities

BlackBerry Passport vs. OnePlus One – Best smartphone reader's choice finals – Mobile Madness 2015

After rounds of match ups pitting flagship devices against each other we are just days away from crowning this year's Mobile Madness winner. The finalists are the BlackBerry Passport and the OnePlus One. The BlackBerry Passport beat the Motorola Droid Turbo, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and HTC One M9 to reach this final round. While the OnePlus One fended off the Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy S6, and BlackBerry Classic to claim a finalist spot.

Who will win? ........

Reader's choice smartphone – Mobile Madness 2015: The Winner is…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior